Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Got a bit of a story to tell..........

Got a bit of a story to tell..........

Old Mar 27th 2008, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Got a bit of a story to tell..........

Originally Posted by southerner
That ought to make him blush

(and good to see the panther writing again too)
Big time
Old Mar 27th 2008, 11:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Watt Dabney
Ian is a scally through and through
Why thanks can I just add the word USE

Bearing in mind we were only casual mates
Which is like casual sex without the panting

I on the other hand am a crap guest, as I relaxed for the 1st time in months and drank way too much red wine and spent the next morning with my head down their toilet!
Which was funny, a cunning plan well exicuted
Old Mar 27th 2008, 12:00 pm
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Ian & Sharon
Drop me a PM when your over and pop round for a beer
Thanks Ian very nice of you we will do be nice to talk to some one who has done a move while pregnant Im 18 weeks now and you can guess what the family are like because they wont see the grandchild straight away my mam ain't happy but my in laws are very supportive

Last edited by Baby75; Mar 27th 2008 at 12:03 pm.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Baby75
Thanks Ian very nice of you we will do
I'll get you singing down the toilet like Paula

Its ok being pregnant when moving, its just the hormones after giving birth that cock you up! Sharon found the home sickness and hormone mix to be too much at times. When you get here try and get yourself some support as soon as possible even if its someone on the other end of the phone and remember the time difference.
If you need any questions answered just ask!

Last edited by Ian & Sharon; Mar 27th 2008 at 12:09 pm.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 3:46 pm

Tan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond repute

I was wondering....

We have our flights booked and I'm currently terrified...plus all the unease between some of the people on this forum is not helping my nerves!

I personally am a fan of personal opinion, and being allowed to express it diplomatically/sensitively. However, instead of getting a picture of people's experiences of NZ I find myself focusing on the personalities of the people who post on this forum rather than their experiences and opinions of their new environement and the people they meet...this I think is what is contributing to my cold feet....

...it's not the fear of realising I've made a mistake if NZ doesn't work out for us..it's the fear that when we get to NZ I won't know who I can share my opinions with, and turn to for support, without causing offence. This is pretty much the way this forum currently makes me feel and could make for a very lonely existence...

Not sure exactly what kind of answers I'm looking for here so will shut up....the main point of this post was to ask you Ian whether you could sum up in a paragraph (if at all possible) how you feel about your NZ experience overall. I really don't mind if you'd prefer to PM as I wouldn't want to ruin the story...only I'm afraid we'll be gone before you finish your story and I'm hoping it may just help calm my nerves or at least put all of this back into perspective for me.

p.s. I understand that I may not get the reassurance I'm looking for, especially since you've moved to Oz, but the way you have posted to date means that I believe in the value of your overall opinion and would like to have it to ponder on.

Tan

Last edited by Tan0410; Mar 27th 2008 at 4:00 pm.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 10:50 pm
Account Closed

Yotty is an unknown quantity at this point

Tan please just get your "derriere" over there and do it! I don't expect you'll regret it!
Old Mar 28th 2008, 5:22 am
Banned

pascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tan0410
I was wondering....

We have our flights booked and I'm currently terrified...plus all the unease between some of the people on this forum is not helping my nerves!

I personally am a fan of personal opinion, and being allowed to express it diplomatically/sensitively. However, instead of getting a picture of people's experiences of NZ I find myself focusing on the personalities of the people who post on this forum rather than their experiences and opinions of their new environement and the people they meet...this I think is what is contributing to my cold feet....

...it's not the fear of realising I've made a mistake if NZ doesn't work out for us..it's the fear that when we get to NZ I won't know who I can share my opinions with, and turn to for support, without causing offence. This is pretty much the way this forum currently makes me feel and could make for a very lonely existence...

Not sure exactly what kind of answers I'm looking for here so will shut up....the main point of this post was to ask you Ian whether you could sum up in a paragraph (if at all possible) how you feel about your NZ experience overall. I really don't mind if you'd prefer to PM as I wouldn't want to ruin the story...only I'm afraid we'll be gone before you finish your story and I'm hoping it may just help calm my nerves or at least put all of this back into perspective for me.

p.s. I understand that I may not get the reassurance I'm looking for, especially since you've moved to Oz, but the way you have posted to date means that I believe in the value of your overall opinion and would like to have it to ponder on.

Tan
Some people love it, some hate it. The only way YOU will know is to see for yourself.

Maybe prudent to have a plan B though....
Old Mar 28th 2008, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

Steve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really nice

Hi Tan

My Husband, daughter and I moved to NZ 8 months ago from the UK. It is the best thing we ever did. Life here is so much more relaxed. We never imagined two lives could be so different.
In the UK, I spent my life shopping, I was so materialistic but moving here, I have changed. I love going to the beach on our Jet ski. I go body boarding, I would never have imagined doing that. We go on wonderful walks, again I never did that in the UK. Weather here is amazing in the summer, it lasts alot longer. I wont lie Winters are cold as, the heating in the houses are not as good as UK but it passes quickly.
The last week before leaving the UK, I could have changed my mind but thank god I was so busy with the container packing I didnt have time to think about it. It would have been the biggest mistake not coming here. Saying your goodbyes to all your family and close friends is the hardest thing Ive ever had to do. I shed many tears but if they are true friends you will keep incontact with them. (Skype internet phones brought over from the UK) I talk to my family and close friends weekly.
Making a new start is hard but, what have you got to lose. If it doesnt work out, your a flight away from home. You will be on a roller coaster of emotions when you get here one minute you love it the next, you want to go home but, life is for living and there isnt a day I would return back to the UK now. I love it here.

Good Luck

Julie

Last edited by Steve and Julie; Mar 28th 2008 at 7:52 am.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

It is much less materialistic in fact there is envy/disapproval of people able to waste money on 'fripperies' but you need to bear in mind the recent long spell of excellent weather has been unprecedented for NZ and that the summer's can in fact be quite shortlived and nowhere near so settled. You shouldn't really move to NZ for better weather although it probably will be milder on North Island than most of UK most of the time.
Good weather certainly helps the mood and I can guarantee if you were to analyse posts on this website, the doom and gloom ones will have fallen off as the good weather has continued.

I would say if you can be confident you can manage financially here then there will undoubtedly be aspects of the lifestyle which will compensate for the distance. Despite being so far away it probably is the closest you can get to the UK culturally in an overseas destination - and I'm not just referring to the common language.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

Tracy24 will become famous soon enough

What an honest account so far. I've really enjoyed reading every minute of this story so far and looking forward to more... come on spill the rest. I should be writing an assignment for college at the moment (mature student here), instead I've spent last night and today reading this fantastic story.

It's been lovely to read something so honest about a move to NZ - something my OH and I are seriously considering and have been for the past few years as he is due to retire from the RN in a few years and I will have finished my nursing training. We have already lived abroad for a couple of years in Europe so a move to another country won't be such a culture shock as it can be for others and we know that life is never greener on the other side - it's what you make it.

Reading this account has been a complete breath of fresh air as I had read other accounts of peoples lives on this forum where they had dissed NZ and made it sound completley awful. It's always good to get an honest view of the pros and cons of anywhere, but in reality life is only as good as you make it and moving to another country will have it's pros and cons and no matter where you live you will find good and bad.

Look forward to reading whether you decided to go back or not and the rest of your wonderful story.

Tracy
Old Mar 28th 2008, 8:26 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
<snip> but you need to bear in mind the recent long spell of excellent weather has been unprecedented for NZ and that the summer's can in fact be quite shortlived and nowhere near so settled. You shouldn't really move to NZ for better weather although it probably will be milder on North Island than most of UK most of the time.
<snip>
Although the weather is much, much better in Hawkes Bay
Old Apr 10th 2008, 11:03 am
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

well how are things nearly ready for another up date I think
Old May 16th 2008, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

IngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond repute

Wow been a while, has this moved somewhere else or did Ian get tired of telling the tale?
Old May 24th 2008, 12:10 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by IngStina
Wow been a while, has this moved somewhere else or did Ian get tired of telling the tale?
Dunno.

Thread calling Ian. Your readers await you.
Old May 24th 2008, 2:16 am
Joe Camel

silverwing86 will become famous soon enoughsilverwing86 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by BEVS here
Dunno.

Thread calling Ian. Your readers await you.
Here too, waiting (im-)patiently for the next installment ! Would hate not being able to read the rest. Please, please, please continue your magnificent tale Ian !!

Cheers,
Silver

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.