British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Got a bit of a story to tell.......... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/got-bit-story-tell-483618/)

luvwelly Mar 26th 2008 11:12 am

Re: Got a bit of a story to tell..........

Originally Posted by pascalr (Post 6112820)
Nope, cannot fathom that post.

Personally I appreciate Ian's honesty.

Maybe you would like a more P.C account of events, perhaps?

I agree pascalr. Also Ian was spot on with the other quote on friendship on the uneasy courtship you have to go through with people and not having asked certain people for another dance quickly enough. If I were a businessman enticing staff from the other side of the world, I'd do my best to help them integrate which would include involving them socially. Not meeting his missus maybe is a cultural thing...the tendency to have separate friends here not 'couples friends'.

It's his experience, he tells it as he sees it...if said person had behaved differently, he may not have left NZ.
Great story...keep it coming.

Nerine Mar 26th 2008 11:13 am

Originally Posted by weebossyboots (Post 6112464)
"after all what had he done to help us, he’d not even bothered sending a card when the baby was born, stuff him and his feelings I do hope he felt small"

This seems a bit harsh - maybe if it was "after all we had done for him and he couldn't even send a card"

Sorry i know there's not supposed to any negative comments about your story and I have enjoyed reading it - but this does not show you in a very good light . . . . was it worded wrongly? . . . .was it the other way round :blink:

:zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz:..........:zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz: .........

Take no notice Ian, your story is brilliant as usual :thumbup: and thank you for taking the time to share it with us all

Ian & Sharon Mar 26th 2008 12:15 pm

"after all what had he done to help us, he’d not even bothered sending a card when the baby was born, stuff him and his feelings I do hope he felt small"

This seems a bit harsh - maybe if it was "after all we had done for him and he couldn't even send a card"

Sorry i know there's not supposed to any negative comments about your story and I have enjoyed reading it - but this does not show you in a very good light . . . . was it worded wrongly? . . . .was it the other way round :blink:

No I'm just crap at English, left school without any qualifications :o

If it shows me in a bad light so be it, can't help what I write as its all about our experiences.

If you want to write something negative please feel free to do so, hopefully people reading this might take note of your comment and look at the whole moving "thing" differently, you might help someone. After all thats what this forum is all about.

weebossyboots Mar 26th 2008 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Ian & Sharon (Post 6113639)
No I'm just crap at English, left school without any qualifications :o

If it shows me in a bad light so be it, can't help what I write as its all about our experiences.

If you want to write something negative please feel free to do so, hopefully people reading this might take note of your comment and look at the whole moving "thing" differently, you might help someone. After all thats what this forum is all about.

Thanks for that, Ian. Love your story but was just a bit confused at that bit. i have kiwi in-laws and they are very much like that - good with the practical help but not so much into the celebrations. In fact my ma-in-law was practically orgasmic whne she saw the choices in the shops particuarly the cards shop - plus blokes are nver as thoughful.

Don't keeps us waiting so long for the next part . . . .

bourbon-biscuit Mar 26th 2008 8:04 pm

But this is exactly what I enjoy about Ian's story- it's unashamed authenticity would be marred if he was any less than honest and straight talking.

Don't leave it quite so long before the next installment Ian :thumbup:

I think BE should have some sort of way of collecting and archiving in one place threads like this and BayWhale's.

Watt Dabney Mar 27th 2008 12:04 am

I don't participate in forums much these days, but as I am off uni at the mo and am avoiding getting started on my essay I thought I would chip in my 10 cents worth!!!

Due to Ians spelling and grammar the content of Ians story can sometimes be interpreted several ways, which can lead to confusion, which in turn especially on forums can lead to a bun fight.
So I thought I would just share our experiences of Ian & Sharon. Ian is a scally through and through but you would struggle to find a bigger hearted guy.
We met Ian & Sharon when we lived in NZ, we got together a couple of times (nothing major) but we got on well and shared our thoughts on life in NZ, and compared our continued curiosity to check things out over the ditch. Then in the blink of an eye Ian made the jump and Sharon followed soon after (by the way I always kick myself for not offering a helping hand to Sharon at that time, that was bad form on my part). Any how when we decided to do the same I have got to say without Ian & Sharons amazing help and kindness it would have been so much harder. Bearing in mind we were only casual mates they offered their spare room to my husband whist he started his new job and organised somewhere for us to live, so i could follow later. They were amazing without them I don't know what we would have done, they lent us the essentials to help us out, kettle, toaster etc.
As the time me & the kids came out we had our own place (just), but knew noone (again!) and we are about 1hrs drive from Ian & Sharon but god love 'em they invited us for xmas day (dog too!) and to stay the night. We had a brill time, Sharon is a fab cook and Ian a great host. I on the other hand am a crap guest, as I relaxed for the 1st time in months and drank way too much red wine and spent the next morning with my head down their toilet!:o

I am ashamed to say we haven't seen them since xmas due to the distance and work and Uni commitments. Although I try and repay their kindness in a "pay it forward" kind of way. I have helped out 2 new families in our local area, lending them stuff etc etc and I hope to always be able to do that.

Ian & Sharon are great people, with smashing kids and 2 lovely saft smelly dogs!
Ian in particular is a big hearted scally, who says it like it is but can't spell for toffee.
So keep this in mind when you read his story, cause people who emigrate need all the Ian & Sharons out there.

Paula xx

southerner Mar 27th 2008 12:27 am

That ought to make him blush:D

(and good to see the panther writing again too)

pascalr Mar 27th 2008 5:23 am

^^nice one:)

weebossyboots Mar 27th 2008 8:32 am

My post was directed at Ian, who responded to it and I replied. It had nothing to do with anyone else - but you know what? I knew as I wrote it I'd be shot down by a bunch of sycophants. At least Ian remained dignified

Baby75 Mar 27th 2008 9:07 am

Originally Posted by weebossyboots (Post 6117532)
My post was directed at Ian, who responded to it and I replied. It had nothing to do with anyone else - but you know what? I knew as I wrote it I'd be shot down by a bunch of sycophants. At least Ian remained dignified

I think it was cleared up i was a bit confused my self but as you said Ian understood :)

I think you have left your self wide open for more slagging just laugh it off thats all you can do :D

be nice please remember what happened last time every one

Ian pleas don't keep us waiting so long im really enjoying your story and am waiting for the Brisbane bit considering ill be there very soon June I hope any way :thumbsup:

whitesand Mar 27th 2008 9:30 am

Ian, don't stop staying what you feel like saying, the way you want to say it. Your observations are sharp and refreshing. We've been drowing in PC rubbish for so long we're losing our sense of humour and perspective. Keep on writing.

pascalr Mar 27th 2008 9:42 am

This is a public forum, what do you expect?

If you wish to make a surreptitious enquiry you could always try using the 'Private message' facility, but where's the fun in that eh?

Ian & Sharon Mar 27th 2008 10:57 am

Don't let people get you down, say what you want and feel happy :thumbsup:

Ian & Sharon Mar 27th 2008 10:58 am

Originally Posted by whitesand (Post 6117747)
Ian, don't stop staying what you feel like saying, the way you want to say it. Your observations are sharp and refreshing. We've been drowing in PC rubbish for so long we're losing our sense of humour and perspective. Keep on writing.

Thanks, my PC is rubbish were on about upgrading it ;)

Ian & Sharon Mar 27th 2008 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Baby75 (Post 6117654)
Ian pleas don't keep us waiting so long im really enjoying your story and am waiting for the Brisbane bit considering ill be there very soon June I hope any way :thumbsup:

Drop me a PM when your over and pop round for a beer :thumbsup: