British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Got a bit of a story to tell.......... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/got-bit-story-tell-483618/)

Ian & Sharon Mar 1st 2008 3:44 am

Re: Got a bit of a story to tell..........

Originally Posted by hjmilligan (Post 6001812)
Same here with the dog emotions too!! I love my dog like you wouldnt believe and he does the same when getting into the back of the car!:):)

Helen

Bloody dog's eh!

They are your best mate after all ;)
Our Ben still stinks, we had a BBQ for him last week, he'd turned 10 :blink:

Baby75 Mar 1st 2008 9:49 am

Ah that brought tears to my eyes excellent read now we have to wait on till the next bit:)

sunshine n jim Mar 3rd 2008 11:07 am

Ian you are soooo out of order, poor sharon doesnt deserve to be written about like that, after all it was your baby she had therefore you are partly to blame for her gut. I am really enjoying reading your adventure and can't wait to read more, PLEASE DON'T keep us waiting too long
all the best natalie

BEVS Mar 13th 2008 11:51 am

Umpity bumpity bump . Them chips, pudding and peas will be stone cold by now. :eek:

teebrown Mar 25th 2008 12:31 pm

We are waiting, come on what happens next???????????:huh:

Ian & Sharon Mar 25th 2008 7:39 pm

So it was time to leave the house and head for the motel, this would be home for the next 2 nights, we had one last look round to make sure everything was in order locked the door and got in to the car. Did I feel sad? Yes and no, I felt that a great weight had been lifted from my shoulders and felt a bit gutted that if we were going to stay in the UK we would not be able to afford a house of this size, but I was looking forward to gas central heating, double glazing and not wiping the inside of the windows every morning, I hated doing that! I know you can get one of them things that supposedly stop that, but if you look at it it’s just shifting the condensation from one part of the house to another.
One thing that I wouldn’t miss was the annoying Kiwi accent, it was kind of cute at first but after 9 months it started to annoy me and there was many a time I had to bite my lip, sometimes I could not help myself, especially when they insisted calling Ben “Bin” FFS it was a 3 letter word how could they get it so wrong!
So we moved in to the motel, what a crap hole that was, just the thing before a 20+ hour flight with two kids under 2 and a wife who did not know if she was coming or going, that was it with Sharon I think at first she just wanted her Mum, but now she knew that she could do everything without there help and now it was going to be hard for her to accept help form them, you see she had grown both mentally and emotionally, she was a new woman, so if we had got one good thing out of this NZ experience it was a new Sharon, well with the baby a new Kiwi as well!
The next day it was time to drop the car back at work and say my farewells, well sort of. As you know we might be back!
Brendon took me back to the motel; it was next to the airport which in turn was next to work!
The strange thing was that he had not bothered to meet Sharon which did not really go down to well with both of us, he tried to start up a conversation with her but she was very abrupt and quite cutting, that’s what Shazzer is like when she thinks people who could have been more help have not bothered their arses and then try to be all smiley and nice, fair point. Brendon said to me outside that he thought she had been very abrupt with him, I turned round and said “what do you expect” after all what had he done to help us, he’d not even bothered sending a card when the baby was born, stuff him and his feelings I do hope he felt small, I had come to a conclusion that he was the type of person that looked after him self and to hell with others.
Anyway that night was a bundle of fun, not! We knew the next day we were for the off and that was a weird crappy feeling. That morning I woke up early, I just wanted the make sure we had every thing ready. I had a shower and got ready; Sharon got the kids ready while I packed the last of the three cases. She had got everything sorted to do with the baby, she’d found some plastic circle thing that held 6 individual servings of milk, she’d also found some sterilizing stuff that did not need water so she’d done very well.
We checked out of the motel and ordered the mini bus to take us to the airport; I looked outside and guess what? Yep it was raining, typical Auckland, I won’t miss that!
I helped the driver load the stuff in to the back of the mini bus, 3 cases, a pram, a baby car seat and 4 hand luggage bags with enough baby bibs, nappies and other odds and ends, any one would have thought we were going away or something!
We did not speak going down the road to the airport, not even our Harry and amazing as it sounds the baby didn’t murmur at all, I wonder if she was gutted that she was leaving her Country or was just thinking she was going on her OE 18 years early.
We checked in and walked though, yes them bloody airport doors! Did I cry? Nope, as you know I just wanted to get on the plane and go.
We waited with everyone else for the “ping” of the lady who would tell us to board the plane, this happened quickly and in no time at all we were sat in our seats waiting to take off. The good thing about taking a baby on a long distance flight is you get the seats behind the toilet block which as you might know has exceptional leg room!
I thought of Sharon’s Mum and Dad and how excited they would be seeing Sharon and the kid’s, not me because I was more than likely still “The Bastard” that took them away!
Just then the engines got louder and we were thrown back in our seats, Harry started to giggle I looked at Sharon and said “that’s it then love, were off”

weebossyboots Mar 26th 2008 6:57 am

"after all what had he done to help us, he’d not even bothered sending a card when the baby was born, stuff him and his feelings I do hope he felt small"

This seems a bit harsh - maybe if it was "after all we had done for him and he couldn't even send a card"

Sorry i know there's not supposed to any negative comments about your story and I have enjoyed reading it - but this does not show you in a very good light . . . . was it worded wrongly? . . . .was it the other way round :blink:

BEVS Mar 26th 2008 7:30 am

Dissing the entire thread per se is one thing . Asking for clarification about one post is an entirely different thing altogether.
Bugger to do with the very annoying terms for posts 'negative' and/or 'positive'.

Maz Mar 26th 2008 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Ian & Sharon (Post 6002189)
we had a BBQ for him last week

I so mis-read that. :rofl: Thought it said "We had him for a BBQ" and was expecting "he was delicious" afterwards. :lol: Sorry, that was really sick of me to think that. That's what happens when I scan ahead too quickly!!! :eek: *runs away* :rofl:

pascalr Mar 26th 2008 9:04 am

Originally Posted by weebossyboots (Post 6112464)
"after all what had he done to help us, he’d not even bothered sending a card when the baby was born, stuff him and his feelings I do hope he felt small"

This seems a bit harsh - maybe if it was "after all we had done for him and he couldn't even send a card"

Sorry i know there's not supposed to any negative comments about your story and I have enjoyed reading it - but this does not show you in a very good light . . . . was it worded wrongly? . . . .was it the other way round :blink:

Nope, cannot fathom that post.

Personally I appreciate Ian's honesty.

Maybe you would like a more P.C account of events, perhaps?

luvwelly Mar 26th 2008 11:12 am

Originally Posted by pascalr (Post 6112820)
Nope, cannot fathom that post.

Personally I appreciate Ian's honesty.

Maybe you would like a more P.C account of events, perhaps?

I agree pascalr. Also Ian was spot on with the other quote on friendship on the uneasy courtship you have to go through with people and not having asked certain people for another dance quickly enough. If I were a businessman enticing staff from the other side of the world, I'd do my best to help them integrate which would include involving them socially. Not meeting his missus maybe is a cultural thing...the tendency to have separate friends here not 'couples friends'.

It's his experience, he tells it as he sees it...if said person had behaved differently, he may not have left NZ.
Great story...keep it coming.

Nerine Mar 26th 2008 11:13 am

:zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz:..........:zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz: .........

Take no notice Ian, your story is brilliant as usual :thumbup: and thank you for taking the time to share it with us all

Ian & Sharon Mar 26th 2008 12:15 pm

No I'm just crap at English, left school without any qualifications :o

If it shows me in a bad light so be it, can't help what I write as its all about our experiences.

If you want to write something negative please feel free to do so, hopefully people reading this might take note of your comment and look at the whole moving "thing" differently, you might help someone. After all thats what this forum is all about.

weebossyboots Mar 26th 2008 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Ian & Sharon (Post 6113639)
No I'm just crap at English, left school without any qualifications :o

If it shows me in a bad light so be it, can't help what I write as its all about our experiences.

If you want to write something negative please feel free to do so, hopefully people reading this might take note of your comment and look at the whole moving "thing" differently, you might help someone. After all thats what this forum is all about.

Thanks for that, Ian. Love your story but was just a bit confused at that bit. i have kiwi in-laws and they are very much like that - good with the practical help but not so much into the celebrations. In fact my ma-in-law was practically orgasmic whne she saw the choices in the shops particuarly the cards shop - plus blokes are nver as thoughful.

Don't keeps us waiting so long for the next part . . . .

bourbon-biscuit Mar 26th 2008 8:04 pm

But this is exactly what I enjoy about Ian's story- it's unashamed authenticity would be marred if he was any less than honest and straight talking.

Don't leave it quite so long before the next installment Ian :thumbup:

I think BE should have some sort of way of collecting and archiving in one place threads like this and BayWhale's.

Watt Dabney Mar 27th 2008 12:04 am

I don't participate in forums much these days, but as I am off uni at the mo and am avoiding getting started on my essay I thought I would chip in my 10 cents worth!!!

Due to Ians spelling and grammar the content of Ians story can sometimes be interpreted several ways, which can lead to confusion, which in turn especially on forums can lead to a bun fight.
So I thought I would just share our experiences of Ian & Sharon. Ian is a scally through and through but you would struggle to find a bigger hearted guy.
We met Ian & Sharon when we lived in NZ, we got together a couple of times (nothing major) but we got on well and shared our thoughts on life in NZ, and compared our continued curiosity to check things out over the ditch. Then in the blink of an eye Ian made the jump and Sharon followed soon after (by the way I always kick myself for not offering a helping hand to Sharon at that time, that was bad form on my part). Any how when we decided to do the same I have got to say without Ian & Sharons amazing help and kindness it would have been so much harder. Bearing in mind we were only casual mates they offered their spare room to my husband whist he started his new job and organised somewhere for us to live, so i could follow later. They were amazing without them I don't know what we would have done, they lent us the essentials to help us out, kettle, toaster etc.
As the time me & the kids came out we had our own place (just), but knew noone (again!) and we are about 1hrs drive from Ian & Sharon but god love 'em they invited us for xmas day (dog too!) and to stay the night. We had a brill time, Sharon is a fab cook and Ian a great host. I on the other hand am a crap guest, as I relaxed for the 1st time in months and drank way too much red wine and spent the next morning with my head down their toilet!:o

I am ashamed to say we haven't seen them since xmas due to the distance and work and Uni commitments. Although I try and repay their kindness in a "pay it forward" kind of way. I have helped out 2 new families in our local area, lending them stuff etc etc and I hope to always be able to do that.

Ian & Sharon are great people, with smashing kids and 2 lovely saft smelly dogs!
Ian in particular is a big hearted scally, who says it like it is but can't spell for toffee.
So keep this in mind when you read his story, cause people who emigrate need all the Ian & Sharons out there.

Paula xx

southerner Mar 27th 2008 12:27 am

That ought to make him blush:D

(and good to see the panther writing again too)

pascalr Mar 27th 2008 5:23 am

^^nice one:)

weebossyboots Mar 27th 2008 8:32 am

My post was directed at Ian, who responded to it and I replied. It had nothing to do with anyone else - but you know what? I knew as I wrote it I'd be shot down by a bunch of sycophants. At least Ian remained dignified

Baby75 Mar 27th 2008 9:07 am

Originally Posted by weebossyboots (Post 6117532)
My post was directed at Ian, who responded to it and I replied. It had nothing to do with anyone else - but you know what? I knew as I wrote it I'd be shot down by a bunch of sycophants. At least Ian remained dignified

I think it was cleared up i was a bit confused my self but as you said Ian understood :)

I think you have left your self wide open for more slagging just laugh it off thats all you can do :D

be nice please remember what happened last time every one

Ian pleas don't keep us waiting so long im really enjoying your story and am waiting for the Brisbane bit considering ill be there very soon June I hope any way :thumbsup:

whitesand Mar 27th 2008 9:30 am

Ian, don't stop staying what you feel like saying, the way you want to say it. Your observations are sharp and refreshing. We've been drowing in PC rubbish for so long we're losing our sense of humour and perspective. Keep on writing.

pascalr Mar 27th 2008 9:42 am

This is a public forum, what do you expect?

If you wish to make a surreptitious enquiry you could always try using the 'Private message' facility, but where's the fun in that eh?

Ian & Sharon Mar 27th 2008 10:57 am

Don't let people get you down, say what you want and feel happy :thumbsup:

Ian & Sharon Mar 27th 2008 10:58 am

Originally Posted by whitesand (Post 6117747)
Ian, don't stop staying what you feel like saying, the way you want to say it. Your observations are sharp and refreshing. We've been drowing in PC rubbish for so long we're losing our sense of humour and perspective. Keep on writing.

Thanks, my PC is rubbish were on about upgrading it ;)

Ian & Sharon Mar 27th 2008 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Baby75 (Post 6117654)
Ian pleas don't keep us waiting so long im really enjoying your story and am waiting for the Brisbane bit considering ill be there very soon June I hope any way :thumbsup:

Drop me a PM when your over and pop round for a beer :thumbsup:

Ian & Sharon Mar 27th 2008 11:00 am

Originally Posted by southerner (Post 6116587)
That ought to make him blush:D

(and good to see the panther writing again too)

Big time :o

Ian & Sharon Mar 27th 2008 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Watt Dabney (Post 6116512)
Ian is a scally through and through

Why thanks :D can I just add the word USE :p

Bearing in mind we were only casual mates

Which is like casual sex without the panting :thumbsup:

I on the other hand am a crap guest, as I relaxed for the 1st time in months and drank way too much red wine and spent the next morning with my head down their toilet!:o

Which was funny, a cunning plan well exicuted :thumbsup:

Baby75 Mar 27th 2008 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Ian & Sharon (Post 6118111)
Drop me a PM when your over and pop round for a beer :thumbsup:

Thanks Ian very nice of you we will do :thumbsup::thumbsup: be nice to talk to some one who has done a move while pregnant Im 18 weeks now and you can guess what the family are like because they wont see the grandchild straight away my mam ain't happy but my in laws are very supportive

Ian & Sharon Mar 27th 2008 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by Baby75 (Post 6118390)
Thanks Ian very nice of you we will do :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'll get you singing down the toilet like Paula :D

Its ok being pregnant when moving, its just the hormones after giving birth that cock you up! Sharon found the home sickness and hormone mix to be too much at times. When you get here try and get yourself some support as soon as possible even if its someone on the other end of the phone and remember the time difference.
If you need any questions answered just ask!

Tan0410 Mar 27th 2008 3:46 pm

I was wondering....

We have our flights booked and I'm currently terrified...plus all the unease between some of the people on this forum is not helping my nerves!

I personally am a fan of personal opinion, and being allowed to express it diplomatically/sensitively. However, instead of getting a picture of people's experiences of NZ I find myself focusing on the personalities of the people who post on this forum rather than their experiences and opinions of their new environement and the people they meet...this I think is what is contributing to my cold feet....

...it's not the fear of realising I've made a mistake if NZ doesn't work out for us..it's the fear that when we get to NZ I won't know who I can share my opinions with, and turn to for support, without causing offence. This is pretty much the way this forum currently makes me feel and could make for a very lonely existence...

Not sure exactly what kind of answers I'm looking for here so will shut up....the main point of this post was to ask you Ian whether you could sum up in a paragraph (if at all possible) how you feel about your NZ experience overall. I really don't mind if you'd prefer to PM as I wouldn't want to ruin the story...only I'm afraid we'll be gone before you finish your story and I'm hoping it may just help calm my nerves or at least put all of this back into perspective for me.

p.s. I understand that I may not get the reassurance I'm looking for, especially since you've moved to Oz, but the way you have posted to date means that I believe in the value of your overall opinion and would like to have it to ponder on.

Tan

Yotty Mar 27th 2008 10:50 pm

Tan please just get your "derriere" over there and do it!:) I don't expect you'll regret it! :)

pascalr Mar 28th 2008 5:22 am

Originally Posted by Tan0410 (Post 6119396)
I was wondering....

We have our flights booked and I'm currently terrified...plus all the unease between some of the people on this forum is not helping my nerves!

I personally am a fan of personal opinion, and being allowed to express it diplomatically/sensitively. However, instead of getting a picture of people's experiences of NZ I find myself focusing on the personalities of the people who post on this forum rather than their experiences and opinions of their new environement and the people they meet...this I think is what is contributing to my cold feet....

...it's not the fear of realising I've made a mistake if NZ doesn't work out for us..it's the fear that when we get to NZ I won't know who I can share my opinions with, and turn to for support, without causing offence. This is pretty much the way this forum currently makes me feel and could make for a very lonely existence...

Not sure exactly what kind of answers I'm looking for here so will shut up....the main point of this post was to ask you Ian whether you could sum up in a paragraph (if at all possible) how you feel about your NZ experience overall. I really don't mind if you'd prefer to PM as I wouldn't want to ruin the story...only I'm afraid we'll be gone before you finish your story and I'm hoping it may just help calm my nerves or at least put all of this back into perspective for me.

p.s. I understand that I may not get the reassurance I'm looking for, especially since you've moved to Oz, but the way you have posted to date means that I believe in the value of your overall opinion and would like to have it to ponder on.

Tan

Some people love it, some hate it. The only way YOU will know is to see for yourself.

Maybe prudent to have a plan B though....

Steve and Julie Mar 28th 2008 7:49 am

Hi Tan

My Husband, daughter and I moved to NZ 8 months ago from the UK. It is the best thing we ever did. Life here is so much more relaxed. We never imagined two lives could be so different.
In the UK, I spent my life shopping, I was so materialistic but moving here, I have changed. I love going to the beach on our Jet ski. I go body boarding, I would never have imagined doing that. We go on wonderful walks, again I never did that in the UK. Weather here is amazing in the summer, it lasts alot longer. I wont lie Winters are cold as, the heating in the houses are not as good as UK but it passes quickly.
The last week before leaving the UK, I could have changed my mind but thank god I was so busy with the container packing I didnt have time to think about it. It would have been the biggest mistake not coming here. Saying your goodbyes to all your family and close friends is the hardest thing Ive ever had to do. I shed many tears but if they are true friends you will keep incontact with them. (Skype internet phones brought over from the UK) I talk to my family and close friends weekly.
Making a new start is hard but, what have you got to lose. If it doesnt work out, your a flight away from home. You will be on a roller coaster of emotions when you get here one minute you love it the next, you want to go home but, life is for living and there isnt a day I would return back to the UK now. I love it here.

Good Luck

Julie

luvwelly Mar 28th 2008 10:47 am

It is much less materialistic in fact there is envy/disapproval of people able to waste money on 'fripperies' but you need to bear in mind the recent long spell of excellent weather has been unprecedented for NZ and that the summer's can in fact be quite shortlived and nowhere near so settled. You shouldn't really move to NZ for better weather although it probably will be milder on North Island than most of UK most of the time.
Good weather certainly helps the mood and I can guarantee if you were to analyse posts on this website, the doom and gloom ones will have fallen off as the good weather has continued.

I would say if you can be confident you can manage financially here then there will undoubtedly be aspects of the lifestyle which will compensate for the distance. Despite being so far away it probably is the closest you can get to the UK culturally in an overseas destination - and I'm not just referring to the common language.

Tracy24 Mar 28th 2008 1:09 pm

What an honest account so far. I've really enjoyed reading every minute of this story so far and looking forward to more... come on spill the rest. I should be writing an assignment for college at the moment (mature student here), instead I've spent last night and today reading this fantastic story.

It's been lovely to read something so honest about a move to NZ - something my OH and I are seriously considering and have been for the past few years as he is due to retire from the RN in a few years and I will have finished my nursing training. We have already lived abroad for a couple of years in Europe so a move to another country won't be such a culture shock as it can be for others and we know that life is never greener on the other side - it's what you make it.

Reading this account has been a complete breath of fresh air as I had read other accounts of peoples lives on this forum where they had dissed NZ and made it sound completley awful. It's always good to get an honest view of the pros and cons of anywhere, but in reality life is only as good as you make it and moving to another country will have it's pros and cons and no matter where you live you will find good and bad.

Look forward to reading whether you decided to go back or not and the rest of your wonderful story.

Tracy

bourbon-biscuit Mar 28th 2008 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by luvwelly (Post 6122915)
<snip> but you need to bear in mind the recent long spell of excellent weather has been unprecedented for NZ and that the summer's can in fact be quite shortlived and nowhere near so settled. You shouldn't really move to NZ for better weather although it probably will be milder on North Island than most of UK most of the time.
<snip>

Although the weather is much, much better in Hawkes Bay :thumbup:

Baby75 Apr 10th 2008 11:03 am

well how are things nearly ready for another up date I think :thumbsup:

IngStina May 16th 2008 11:46 pm

Wow been a while, has this moved somewhere else or did Ian get tired of telling the tale?

BEVS May 24th 2008 12:10 am

Originally Posted by IngStina (Post 6360939)
Wow been a while, has this moved somewhere else or did Ian get tired of telling the tale?

Dunno.

Thread calling Ian. Your readers await you.

silverwing86 May 24th 2008 2:16 am

Originally Posted by BEVS here (Post 6387043)
Dunno.

Thread calling Ian. Your readers await you.

Here too, waiting (im-:lol:)patiently for the next installment ! Would hate not being able to read the rest. Please, please, please continue your magnificent tale Ian !!

Cheers,
Silver