British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Goodbye to NZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/goodbye-nz-920215/)

Stephen Jones Dec 16th 2018 5:14 pm

Goodbye to NZ

Well, it's been coming for a while what with changes to my employers and job roles over the last few years but I'm having to call it a day on NZ
Old Father Time has caught up with me and I've now reached the cutoff of that grand old age of 56 as of Saturday Dec. 15th.

I know that there are one or two sceptics on here who think that we had no intention of coming to NZ but the reverse has been true.
In 2013 we did an exploratory visit to NZ, liked what we saw and both my wife and I along with 2 of our 3 kids wanted to come.

In 2014 I received a good solid job offer from Tegel Foods based in Auckland but family circumstances (deaths in the family and a breakdown in the relationship of the one son who wasn't coming to NZ) meant that I had to reluctantly not make the move at that time. I received another lesser offer from a 2nd company in Auckland later that year but I turned that one down as we couldn't agree on what constituted a reasonable salary. The offer from Tegel was a really good one and I regret not taking it as I haven't, at the various times I have been searching for roles in NZ, received another offer despite several phone/Skype interviews directly with employers.

Reaching the age of 56 is of course crucial as it means that I can no longer apply for PR.

It is therefore with a heavy heart that I must say goodbye to NZ and thank each and everyone of you who has offered advice and words of encouragement over the years.

Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and best wishes for you all to have prosperous futures.

Steve

MrsFychan Dec 16th 2018 6:31 pm

Re: Goodbye to NZ

Sorry to read this Steve, as I have been along with you on this journey and know how hard you tried.
I hope that you have been able to renew your relationship with your son and find a place you feel happy in within the UK.
New Zealand will still be there for long holidays in years to come, you never know one or other of your children may make the move and you could then utilise the parent/grandparent visa.

Have a Merry Christmas and a Great New Year

Stephen Jones Dec 16th 2018 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 12609732)
Sorry to read this Steve, as I have been along with you on this journey and know how hard you tried.
I hope that you have been able to renew your relationship with your son and find a place you feel happy in within the UK.
New Zealand will still be there for long holidays in years to come, you never know one or other of your children may make the move and you could then utilise the parent/grandparent visa.

Have a Merry Christmas and a Great New Year

Thanks MrsF.
I've appreciated your wise words and encouragement over the years.

Steve

spouse of scouse Dec 17th 2018 3:06 am

Sorry NZ didn't work out for you Steve. Merry Christmas to you and your family, and I hope 2019 is a great year for you all.

cym Dec 19th 2018 5:12 am

yn dda mae llefydd gwaeth i fyw na cymru

Pom_Chch Dec 19th 2018 10:57 pm

Sorry to hear that Stephen. Any hopes of any early retirement to spend a few months in NZ? :D

MrsCakey Dec 20th 2018 5:54 pm

Best of luck to you back in Blighty!

Stephen Jones Dec 21st 2018 12:09 am

Thanks you

Stephen Jones Dec 21st 2018 12:10 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12609872)
Sorry NZ didn't work out for you Steve. Merry Christmas to you and your family, and I hope 2019 is a great year for you all.

Thank You.

Stephen Jones Dec 21st 2018 12:14 am

Originally Posted by cym (Post 12610686)
yn dda mae llefydd gwaeth i fyw na cymru

Ceir yn wir!

Stephen Jones Dec 21st 2018 12:14 am

Originally Posted by MrsCakey (Post 12611385)
Best of luck to you back in Blighty!

Thanks Mrs Cakey.

Stephen Jones Dec 21st 2018 12:15 am

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch (Post 12611121)
Sorry to hear that Stephen. Any hopes of any early retirement to spend a few months in NZ? :D

Not at this time unfortunately,

Justcol Jan 2nd 2019 9:34 am

ok bye....