Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

IS IT A GOOD TIME TO COME TO NZ???

IS IT A GOOD TIME TO COME TO NZ???

Old Oct 31st 2008, 2:36 am
Just Joined

Brooksie will become famous soon enoughBrooksie will become famous soon enough
Default Re: IS IT A GOOD TIME TO COME TO NZ???

Originally Posted by theduke
I am fairly high up in one of the largest building companies in NZ, we are struggling to secure work, we will no doubt have to look at laying people off I would say by March 2009 things will get really bad and as NZ is it's own micro climate and has not got the same natural economy as Oz like oil, gas iron ore etc they cannot really rely on farming the country is too big now.

My prediction is that it will get very bad here by mid - end next year and will falter until 2011. Europe/US will start to get better 2010 which means coming here then would be the best bet when your money will buy more.

This is only my opinion and anyone with better news/views can please prove me wrong!!!

Sorry if this is not what you are looking for!
Alright mate

just been offered job out there in jan, been reading through site seen lots of good and bad stuff, am in wishaw now so cant be any worse can it?!!
But still will be at ibrox on sat watching us hump inverness!!
Am looking for advice on best way to do the visa, employer can get me sorted out but said it may be better tax wise to go on working holiday?
Old Oct 31st 2008, 9:19 am
VP - Rangers Support Club

theduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Brooksie
Alright mate

just been offered job out there in jan, been reading through site seen lots of good and bad stuff, am in wishaw now so cant be any worse can it?!!
But still will be at ibrox on sat watching us hump inverness!!
Am looking for advice on best way to do the visa, employer can get me sorted out but said it may be better tax wise to go on working holiday?
Hello Hello

how you doin? I am the Vice President of the Rangers Supporters Club here in NZ, so you will need to join up, only $10 per year. We meet once a month for best of last months games and live games v shelic and any other games we want LIVE! at the Paddington Bar in Auckland and other cities have regularly meet ups.

PM me and let me know who you are going to work for and where and I will help you out as much as I can, with the little knowledge I have.

Andy
Old Oct 31st 2008, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Hello

how you doin? I am the Vice President of the Rangers Supporters Club here in NZ, so you will need to join up, only $10 per year. We meet once a month for best of last months games and live games v shelic and any other games we want LIVE! at the Paddington Bar in Auckland and other cities have regularly meet ups.

PM me and let me know who you are going to work for and where and I will help you out as much as I can, with the little knowledge I have.

Andy
My OH will be so mad this is in aukland lol and we will be in hawera!!!
Old Oct 31st 2008, 6:50 pm

theduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by carolineshewan
My OH will be so mad this is in aukland lol and we will be in hawera!!!
Their is one on wanganui, which is 30mins fast drive from NP, I think?
Old Oct 31st 2008, 7:28 pm
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Jads,

I used to do all sorts of Trades, Roofing, tiling, carpentry etc etc and after 2 years working for others i decided to have a go at being self employed and started my own business doing Property Maintenance for rental firms, started with one now i have 3 , still not employed any extra help yet as not sure of future, i would rather be busy by myself then have not much much with 2 guys.

Also i recon where you live in NZ wil matter in next year or so , Southland IMO will be a boom area as they have always stood on their own 2 feet and they also need about 1700 workers, i am amazed at how many Brits always look to Auckland and NI, but down south island , less population more job prospects, no traffic problems etc, cheaper houses, if you are looking to get into repair work then pick somewhere with ageing house stock, mind you any where in NZ ha ha has shite house stock, even new builds are crap built.

If you can be as versatile as possible that will be a big plus, as most trades i know have blinkers on and only do their trade, not many will diverse and do another part of the work to get to their bit, but the slow down is happening and i'm sure there will be more people after my work soon enough, i try to keep a fair price and do a good job all the time, i also take bacon and egg pie to my clients once a month as a thankyou for the work, this has worked a treat and most NZers have not had this before, as most builders just want their money and go, i take time out to drop in to the clients and see how things are going, only cost's me $38 a month, not alot for a few $k's worth of work ay ?

Where ever you end up in NZ check out the competition or see whats missing from an area, offerening a one stop shop for people is a good thing as most dont want to deal with alll those different tradesmen, if you can do most or all of it yourself, you'll be laughing.

If you fancy living in Dunedin, we would make an awsome team, and we could take the rest of the work thats out there, that i cant get on my own !!

Good luck with it all.

Nige, Dunners since May 05
Old Nov 1st 2008, 12:36 am
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

the Kiwi unemployment rate has SHOT up to, erm, 3%, still second lowest in the industrial world !!! Times are hard ! House prices coming down now, interest rates dropping, if you can find a good job, it is a bl**dy good time to arrive, i would say, AND it's nearly summer too ! Things WILL get worse, of course, but, now is a good time to arrive

Last edited by brussels_sprout; Nov 1st 2008 at 12:38 am.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

sonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jads
Hi

I will be looking for employement as a Locksmith/Carpenter. My actual Qualified trade is in Brickwork/Masonry but have always been good at all trades. I will see how the job market looks when we arrive, but have lots of trade experience with kitchens, bathrooms, ceramic tiling, plastering, re-furbs, shopfitting etc etc (Gis a job)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:ro fl:

Where are you based in NZ, what are the job classifieds like at the moment?

Cheers Jads
we are in tauranga on the north island. My hubby bill is a joiner with many years experience. He works for a man who gets him work but does his own books. he has periods of no work and says that its harder in many ways here as they have to do a lot of the lifting etc that opther people would do in the uk. The benefits are the weather although when its hot its too hot to work. The pay is no where near as good as the uk. Sorry to be negative but just telling the truth.We are going home as soon as we sell our flat.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

jads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Fooferfish
Hey Jads,

I used to do all sorts of Trades, Roofing, tiling, carpentry etc etc and after 2 years working for others i decided to have a go at being self employed and started my own business doing Property Maintenance for rental firms, started with one now i have 3 , still not employed any extra help yet as not sure of future, i would rather be busy by myself then have not much much with 2 guys.

Also i recon where you live in NZ wil matter in next year or so , Southland IMO will be a boom area as they have always stood on their own 2 feet and they also need about 1700 workers, i am amazed at how many Brits always look to Auckland and NI, but down south island , less population more job prospects, no traffic problems etc, cheaper houses, if you are looking to get into repair work then pick somewhere with ageing house stock, mind you any where in NZ ha ha has shite house stock, even new builds are crap built.

If you can be as versatile as possible that will be a big plus, as most trades i know have blinkers on and only do their trade, not many will diverse and do another part of the work to get to their bit, but the slow down is happening and i'm sure there will be more people after my work soon enough, i try to keep a fair price and do a good job all the time, i also take bacon and egg pie to my clients once a month as a thankyou for the work, this has worked a treat and most NZers have not had this before, as most builders just want their money and go, i take time out to drop in to the clients and see how things are going, only cost's me $38 a month, not alot for a few $k's worth of work ay ?

Where ever you end up in NZ check out the competition or see whats missing from an area, offerening a one stop shop for people is a good thing as most dont want to deal with alll those different tradesmen, if you can do most or all of it yourself, you'll be laughing.

If you fancy living in Dunedin, we would make an awsome team, and we could take the rest of the work thats out there, that i cant get on my own !!

Good luck with it all.

Nige, Dunners since May 05
Hello Nige

Sounds like you have had a good start in NZ, are you still thinking of moving away from Dunners. When you say that Southland will need extra workers, does that include Christchurch. Christchhurch seems a good place to settle to me, but the decision and arrangements just go on and on and on!!
Are you still busy at work at the moment, have you noticed a slowdown?

Cheers Jads
Old Nov 5th 2008, 7:25 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Nige

Sounds like you have had a good start in NZ, are you still thinking of moving away from Dunners. When you say that Southland will need extra workers, does that include Christchurch. Christchhurch seems a good place to settle to me, but the decision and arrangements just go on and on and on!!
Are you still busy at work at the moment, have you noticed a slowdown?

Cheers Jads

I've heard that Christchurch building activity has slowed down immensely (it was really booming for a number of years).

Southland is a province based around the small city of Invercargill at the very south of the South Island. It is basically a agricultural economy, although there is some industry too. Much of the building activity is related to farm conversions (from sheep/beef to dairy farms) and to upgrading of dairy factories, but there is also quite a bit of onshore and offshore oil/gas/coal exploration going on at the moment which may or may not translate into building type work.

Also one of the hottest property markets over the last 25 years has been Queenstown which is about 2 hours drive from Invercargill, so strategically it might be a good place to be based. Queenstown building has also slowed down, but over the medium term there is likely to be plenty of work there still.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

NZ Unemployment rate up to 4.2 % , still one of the lowest in the world !

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=10541456
Old Nov 6th 2008, 12:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

7 staff about to be made redundant from local law firm, due to drop in property market . 3 solicitors and 4 secretaries. Very sad. Remaining staff very worried that this is just " round one. "
Old Nov 6th 2008, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

Hello Hello

Andy
Hi Andy

Cheers for the info, good to know theres a friendly bar to catch up on the Gers!

Enjoyed the inverness dooing hope you managed to catch it!

My mate rick is over in Auckland just now so i will pass on the details of the bar, though im sure he has sniffed it out himself by now.

Am going to work for a telecomms firm over there, they are pretty busy with varous contracts.

Have since spoke with them again and am going to get my visa through them which will save me the hassle plus a few dollars.

Was going to PM you with more details but just started on site so dont have enough posts yet!

Anyway thanks for getting in touch and will hopefull speak again before im out there. got a provisional start date of 12th jan.

Cheers

Kerr
Old Feb 7th 2009, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

Hello Hello

Andy
Hi Andy

Been out in Auckland for a month now, loving it so far.

When do you next meet to watch the football highlights and will you be watching the old firm next week, live or replayed?

Have dropped by the paddington a couple of times but only seems to have cricket on!!
Have tried some p2p brodcasts on internet but am on woosh and connection cant seem to handle it, spends most of time buffering.

Would be much appreciated if you could let me know about the games, am dying to catch the old firm.

Cheers

Kerr
Old Feb 10th 2009, 6:23 am

Hey mate

Game is on next Monday morning at the Paddington kick-off 1:30am, be there or be square!

Here is our website: http://www.kiwitrueblues.webs.com/

Any questions please ask, let me know your email and I can get you on the mailing list.

Cheers
Andy

Originally Posted by Brooksie
Hi Andy

Been out in Auckland for a month now, loving it so far.

When do you next meet to watch the football highlights and will you be watching the old firm next week, live or replayed?

Have dropped by the paddington a couple of times but only seems to have cricket on!!
Have tried some p2p brodcasts on internet but am on woosh and connection cant seem to handle it, spends most of time buffering.

Would be much appreciated if you could let me know about the games, am dying to catch the old firm.

Cheers

Kerr
Old Feb 10th 2009, 8:46 am
Account Closed

harrogate girl is an unknown quantity at this point

The Building Trade is slow here in the UK and probably all over the world at the moment so not a massive surprise there. We will all move on to maintenance/refurbs/repairs etc. The Locksmith trade never really changes in a recession so that may be a plus!

What do you do in NZ and where are you based?

Cheers Jads
The building trade is not as good House Builders have a down turn, some have even gone bust but it is only a few
Some of the house builders built quite a few spec homes only to find what they built them for is what they are looking to sell for:curse: and I have to say we built and are unable to sell looks like we may have to keep renting.
Some of the builders this week are now looking to the Maintenance side of the spectrum but my Husband works with the vise president of the master builders in ChCh, and he said NZ is still looking good at this point in time and some new estate have just not been started put on hold.
Lin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.