British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Good shipping/relocating companies from UK to NZ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/good-shipping-relocating-companies-uk-nz-875027/)

cornwall2auckland Mar 29th 2016 9:58 am

Good shipping/relocating companies from UK to NZ?

Hello,
Can anyone recommend any good shipping/relocating companies for us to use from UK to NZ? Any one heard of or used "Crown Worldwide" for relocating?
Many thanks,
Simon & Layla.

MrsFychan Mar 29th 2016 7:12 pm

Re: Good shipping/relocating companies from UK to NZ?

We used PSS and then Leyton Percival for insurance and had no problems. But like all these types of things others have had problems. So it all depends on which company you feel the most comfortable using.
A friend of mine used Grace removals and is now having problems with insurance as lots of their stuff ended up broken, the sofa had mould all over it and their was stuff missing. Cost to replace nearly $30,000 which they are having to fight for. But I am sure that others have used Grace and had no problems at all.

Sparkleydiva Mar 29th 2016 7:23 pm

We used Excess International and were very good. No damage, competent packers and delivery here, although subcontracted went without a hitch. But as Mrs Fychan says it depends on who you are comfortable with.

escapedtonz Mar 29th 2016 7:35 pm

We also used PSS and they were great. No problems and the packing guys that appeared in the UK really knew how to do their job.

Hazelnut Mar 29th 2016 7:44 pm

We had three companies out and had a very definite feel for who we wanted to use after they visited so my recommendation would be to have some out and see who you like best. We had Pickfords, Bourne International and PSS out. All the appointments were arranged via email or text and the visits were great. All three would have been OK for a standard move but we have horses and one of them really didn't seem to know anything about importing things like leather saddles and other outside goods.

I tried to book Crowns but they kept calling me at work when I couldn't answer my mobile. We decied that if they couldn't follow a simple instruction like, 'do not call my mobile phone between 9am and 5pm, please email some dates you could attend' we weren't keen to entrust our lives possessions to them.

Sparkleydiva Mar 30th 2016 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by cornwall2auckland (Post 11907926)
Hello,
Can anyone recommend any good shipping/relocating companies for us to use from UK to NZ? Any one heard of or used "Crown Worldwide" for relocating?
Many thanks,
Simon & Layla.

Have had crown round for NZ - UK move and found them very expensive compared to Pickfords and a bit pushy. Will use Pickfords

scrubbedexpat094 Mar 31st 2016 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by Sparkleydiva (Post 11909439)
Have had crown round for NZ - UK move and found them very expensive compared to Pickfords and a bit pushy. Will use Pickfords

Had some friends in Stanmore Bay use Pickfords to move their stuff from here to the Sunshine Coast recently, but they have not had a good experience with them.

They put suitcases etc in one bedroom out of the way and told the packers not to go in there. Once the packers had left, they realised that cash, a brand new watch and various other items had gone missing.

They informed Pickfords who initially were shocked to hear this but have since been very unhelpful. They have also informed the police and their insurance company.
Only got their stuff in Oz a couple of weeks back & I haven't spoken to my friend since to see if they have had anything else stolen. Will find out and get back to you.

Has rather put me off using Pickfords in future.

jmh Mar 31st 2016 8:35 pm

I used Pickfords and they were fine - everything turned up intact including the glass topped dining table!

scrubbedexpat094 Apr 1st 2016 12:33 am

We used Pickfords back in 2005 and they were fine. A fair amount of stuff damaged but the insurance covered it with no quibbles. I was happy with their service.

My previous post was about an incident that happened very recently and in the same vicinity as Sparkleydiva. Just wanted her to be aware of this. It has made me think twice about using Pickfords in the future and whatever company we do go with in a future move, I think we will be rigging surveillance cameras up!

Seems an excessive extreme to go to but if you can't trust companies to hire honest folk and then deal with them appropriately when found out, then what can you do.

Kotare Apr 1st 2016 5:49 am

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 11910528)
We used Pickfords back in 2005 and they were fine. A fair amount of stuff damaged but the insurance covered it with no quibbles. I was happy with their service.

My previous post was about an incident that happened very recently and in the same vicinity as Sparkleydiva. Just wanted her to be aware of this. It has made me think twice about using Pickfords in the future and whatever company we do go with in a future move, I think we will be rigging surveillance cameras up!

Seems an excessive extreme to go to but if you can't trust companies to hire honest folk and then deal with them appropriately when found out, then what can you do.

I lost a wooden box with cufflinks, medals, spare watch etc on our recent move with PSS. A pain as they had little cash value but were irreplaceable (medals). Everything else was in perfect condition.