Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Good news and Bad news!

Good news and Bad news!

Old May 4th 2007, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

jeany has a brilliant futurejeany has a brilliant futurejeany has a brilliant futurejeany has a brilliant futurejeany has a brilliant futurejeany has a brilliant futurejeany has a brilliant futurejeany has a brilliant future
Unhappy Good news and Bad news!

Hi all

After submitting our ITA end of Jan 2007 we now have a Case Officer which is great but yesterday we received a letter saying they need more evidence on OH Qualifications and apprenticeship. They have had to deduct points until we prove the qualifications are at the correct level.
We have to send certificates off to NZQA. Oh no! Thought the letter that arrived was going be a congratulations letter! Ahhhhh.

I thought they did the checking at EOI stage before they invite us to apply.

God I hope they let us in.

J
Old May 4th 2007, 8:50 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Good news and Bad news!

Sparkies you are, if I remember rightly. Slap my wrist if i am wrong.

What quals and apprenticeship have you put forward. Also what work experience.

Let's have a look.
Old May 4th 2007, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

jeany has a brilliant futurejeany has a brilliant futurejeany has a brilliant futurejeany has a brilliant futurejeany has a brilliant futurejeany has a brilliant futurejeany has a brilliant futurejeany has a brilliant future

Thanks for your quick reply

Qualified Aircraft Electrician, 3 year apprenticship + 15 years experience. (BTEC Level 3)
Also has the City and Guilds Part 1 and Part 2 Electrician Qual.

At EOI stage we had a pre-assessment through nzqa ($30) and they said BTEC came in at Level 4 Trade qual which gave us the points required.

The letter says we need all the certificates and apprenticeship evidence to go to NZQA for a full assessment to prove Level 4. ($450)!

J
Old May 4th 2007, 9:15 am
Account Closed

cherry will become famous soon enoughcherry will become famous soon enough

You will soon find out what a money making racket it is for them.They will do as much as they can to get money from you to prove you are worthy of coming to the best country in the world (got to say that to be pc but it is bloody good here).We went through the same and had to pay extra fees for this and that but still made it here no probs.Dont worry it is all worth it and you will make it here .The EOI is just an assessment and ok you pay for it but it is just a preliminary check based on what you said not what you proved as is what the officer has to do so dont feel too dishartened about it and dont giveup,we got 30 points removed after our EOI but got them back after our NZQA checks.Good luck ,where do you want to live here .?.I hear Wellington is nice
Old May 4th 2007, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Cherry, I'm sure it will all be worth it in the end.

It's such a long process, now we have to contact NZ Immigration to get our certificates back so we can then forward them to NZQA.

We would love to live in Queenstown (in our dreams I know) spent time there in 2002 and we have friends that live there (teachers at local school) probably will be too expensive so I think we will end up in Christchurch. Defo looking at South Island as love to snowboard/walk etc etc!

Wellington does sound good though!

Plan to travel for first 6 months and see which place takes our fancy, just the two of us heading out there, get married in July so the plan was to fly off afterwards on our extended honeymoon!
Old May 4th 2007, 9:48 am
Banned

AlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by jeany
Thanks for your quick reply

Qualified Aircraft Electrician, 3 year apprenticship + 15 years experience. (BTEC Level 3)
Also has the City and Guilds Part 1 and Part 2 Electrician Qual.

At EOI stage we had a pre-assessment through nzqa ($30) and they said BTEC came in at Level 4 Trade qual which gave us the points required.

The letter says we need all the certificates and apprenticeship evidence to go to NZQA for a full assessment to prove Level 4. ($450)!

J

If I was a qualified aircraft tech I would be the one laying down the laws, not some faceless beauracrat who probably doesn't even know his 12x table! :curse:

Sod NZ if it proving difficult to get into - trust me, it's not worth the agro. Go to a country which deserves you! And will welcome you with open arms

Also, don't forget how much Air NZ has laid people off. Forget NZ if you are in avionics!

Last edited by AlbieLittle; May 4th 2007 at 10:54 am.
Old May 4th 2007, 9:52 am
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

It could be partly because they started making a load of Aircraft electricians redundant so may be thinking they don't need any more.

But it may not be that.
Old May 4th 2007, 10:52 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

BTEC at level 4 should be fine.

Contact EWRB first and see if they will assess overseas quals before commiting to NZQA fees.
No guarantees of course. With plumbing the PGDB assess quals for a fee so one bypasses NZQA fees. quid pro quo

http://www.ewrb.govt.nz/content/overseas.html

Queenstown . HHmm. Velly expeseeve.
Come to Nelson and Bays though we only have diddly squat of an airfield. we do have Rainbow Ski field and the National Parks all a round for tramping , camping and general hoohaa.