British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   The good life!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/good-life-631215/)

weejie Sep 17th 2009 6:57 am

The good life!!

5 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics at our first attempts at growing our own. In the greenhouse we have strawberries,peas,melons,chillis,peppers,courgette ,tomatoes,lettuce and seedlings for carrots,parsnips,and leeks which we hope to plant in the compost filled tyres. This means we should get long straight veggies apparently. Outside we have potatoes,onions,spring onions,brocolli,cabbage,cauliflower. It may not work but we are trying. Any other first time veggie growers out there?

Phyl x

adamlt1972 Sep 17th 2009 7:17 am

Re: The good life!!

That looks cool. I've just moved to Christchurch in a rental flat, so am obviously doing things on a smaller scale, but have got a few pots on the balcony; some tomatoes, chilli and rhubarb, but am a bit concerned a) I don't know what I'm doing, and b) any Canterbury frosts will put paid to them.

Jan n Neil Sep 18th 2009 2:12 am

U can come round and do my garden if u want ;)

Persephone Sep 18th 2009 2:45 am

Wow Phyl, that's amazing, I'm so impressed. I have this vision of me growing my own veg but it means getting up off the couch first:rofl: I know it would end in disaster-that's why I have no houseplants-I tend to forget they exist and don't water them. They don't attract my attention like dogs do:rofl: Before I knew it I'd have a garden full of rotting veg:eek:

So if you're popping round to do Jan and Neils in Christchurch then could you make it over to mine [once I arrive down south]?

BEVS Sep 18th 2009 3:25 am

Looking good Phyl. Looking very good all bar the garden gnome sitting in your greenhouse.

We are in the process of converting the bottom of our garden back into the vege garden. Apparently this area was a veg garden when the house was first built.

I need to net the area though to keep the ducks out & the chickens when we get them.
We are partway through mending the old greenhouse & will relocate it from the top of our section to the bottom where the new veg garden will be . We built some decking to put the greenhouse on as the section is sloped.

I've double dug an area down there so we can at least grow some stuff for the time being. So far I have planted garlic and potatoes. I can't plant tomatoes out until after the frosts. Onions are next on my list. More digging.

Mr Bevs brought home several wooden nail boxes, so I am thinking of cleaning them up and planting herbs in them.

I've grown veges before here when we were in our rental. It had 4 raised beds so I had a go. Things just seemed to grow by magic.

weejie Sep 18th 2009 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil (Post 7941355)
U can come round and do my garden if u want ;)

Not all my work,infact most of it is OH's.

Originally Posted by Persephone (Post 7941408)
Wow Phyl, that's amazing, I'm so impressed. I have this vision of me growing my own veg but it means getting up off the couch first:rofl: I know it would end in disaster-that's why I have no houseplants-I tend to forget they exist and don't water them. They don't attract my attention like dogs do:rofl: Before I knew it I'd have a garden full of rotting veg:eek:

So if you're popping round to do Jan and Neils in Christchurch then could you make it over to mine [once I arrive down south]?

Maybe I could propose to gary that he take up a job as travelling veggie garden starter!!!

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 7941439)
Looking good Phyl. Looking very good all bar the garden gnome sitting in your greenhouse.

We are in the process of converting the bottom of our garden back into the vege garden. Apparently this area was a veg garden when the house was first built.

I need to net the area though to keep the ducks out & the chickens when we get them.
We are partway through mending the old greenhouse & will relocate it from the top of our section to the bottom where the new veg garden will be . We built some decking to put the greenhouse on as the section is sloped.

I've double dug an area down there so we can at least grow some stuff for the time being. So far I have planted garlic and potatoes. I can't plant tomatoes out until after the frosts. Onions are next on my list. More digging.

Mr Bevs brought home several wooden nail boxes, so I am thinking of cleaning them up and planting herbs in them.

I've grown veges before here when we were in our rental. It had 4 raised beds so I had a go. Things just seemed to grow by magic.

LMAO:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Will keep you updated with pics as things grow

Phyl x

Numptyhead Sep 18th 2009 9:25 am

That's great Phyl. Its what we want to do but I kind of assumed we wouldn't be able to grow stuff in a rental:thumbsup:

newnip Sep 18th 2009 10:12 am

Hey we've got tyres too - wondered what that was about! We are in rental and growing our own. We have planted one huge tyre with potatoes, also have cabbage, lettuce, carrots, cucumbers, strawberries, onions, and I've forgotten what else as hubby is planting. Also in our garden we have a fejoa (spelling?) tree/bush, lemon, olive and apples!

j19fmm Sep 18th 2009 2:10 pm

Sooo industrious! I too spotted the whittler...and is that a bath I spy in the background? Good luck with all your produce, our potato sacks were a total disaster this year :( But on a high note I've just seen a 'new' butterfly on the sedum...a Comma. Sad I know but I'm well pleased :o

BEVS Sep 19th 2009 1:31 am

Originally Posted by Numptyhead (Post 7942054)
That's great Phyl. Its what we want to do but I kind of assumed we wouldn't be able to grow stuff in a rental:thumbsup:

We had two rentals and both had a veg patch . All the homes here seem to have a veg patch .

Originally Posted by newnip (Post 7942148)
Hey we've got tyres too - wondered what that was about! We are in rental and growing our own. We have planted one huge tyre with potatoes, also have cabbage, lettuce, carrots, cucumbers, strawberries, onions, and I've forgotten what else as hubby is planting. Also in our garden we have a fejoa (spelling?) tree/bush, lemon, olive and apples!

Crikey. You are doing well just like Weejie.

I'd better get me bum into gear if I am to keep up with you two. Mostly I have weeds.:p

We've feijoas too. Also lemons , grapefruit and a sorta satsuma which never does much. We've a huge old plum tree and also an old apricot tree but we seem to also have a younger peach tree which is trying to do well. I planted an olive , an apple and also a kiwi fruit vine .

weejie Sep 20th 2009 5:05 am

We have just realised we have apple trees at the bottom of the garden too,as they have started to blossom.........pies,crumbles mmmmmmmm.

Yes Fi that is a bath,we found it in there once all the dead vine had been removed so we have used it for strawberries.

Phyl x

newnip Sep 20th 2009 7:13 am

I've heard the Feijoas are good in crumbles with apples! Looking forward to trying that - haven't seen any Ambrosia custard to go with though!

weejie Nov 18th 2009 12:50 am

5 Attachment(s)
Updated pics...have had courgettes,strawberries,lettuce and spring onions so far

Phyl x

Charismatic Nov 18th 2009 2:23 am

Originally Posted by weejie (Post 7938439)
This means we should get long straight veggies apparently.

Veggies...riiiiiiiight ;).

http://latinolikeme.files.wordpress..../marijuana.jpg
:p

BEVS Nov 18th 2009 5:20 am

Originally Posted by weejie (Post 8106146)
Updated pics...have had courgettes,strawberries,lettuce and spring onions so far

Phyl x

OMG :eek: That's brilliant. Take it you did away with the garden gernome

We are still renovating the blummin' greenhouse

Originally Posted by newnip
We are in rental and growing our own. We have planted one huge tyre with potatoes, also have cabbage, lettuce, carrots, cucumbers, strawberries, onions, and I've forgotten what else as hubby is planting. Also in our garden we have a fejoa (spelling?) tree/bush, lemon, olive and apples!

any chance of some pics?

I was listening on the radio today about growing potatoes in tyres. Where did you get the tyres ?

I have planted out some potatoes where we plan to have the veg garden but the rains sort of washed out that area . That's OK as it is a learning thing for this section and I'll sort it out , but I am quite keen on the tyre idea.