Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

A good house size?

A good house size?

Old Aug 3rd 2016, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

KOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A good house size?

When we put our house up for sale the EPC person who came round (& did the floor plans as well) had them done in a couple of hours.
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

I'm wondering if the web sites like RightMove have the functionality built in.
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

KOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat
I'm wondering if the web sites like RightMove have the functionality built in.
No, someone has to actually come & measure the house & then they put the floor plan together (our EPC person did ours in a couple of hours).

I guess they have to have the software to do it, but it can't be that hard to learn.
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 7:52 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes you get floor plans for newer homes, but it's not common. I don't recall it being that common in the UK either. If I was doing it I would charge a couple hundred minimum - home visit, time to measure, time on the computer. Is it worth paying? Not so sure.

I do find it annoying how they use the special lenses to make the house look huge, and you turn up and it's a little flat. I can't help thinking it backfires because you get a feeling of disappointment when you see what it really looks like.
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jmh
Sometimes you get floor plans for newer homes, but it's not common. I don't recall it being that common in the UK either.
I think it's pretty much standard if you look on rightmove now.

Originally Posted by jmh
If I was doing it I would charge a couple hundred minimum - home visit, time to measure, time on the computer. Is it worth paying? Not so sure.
We paid £100 together with the EPC - didn't even question it.

Originally Posted by jmh
I do find it annoying how they use the special lenses to make the house look huge, and you turn up and it's a little flat.
Yes, exactly that. Our EA didn't use the special lense, but by shooting from different angles he still made the rooms look bigger than they are in reality.

When I'm looking at properties in NZ I try to judge room sizes by the furniture in them, but it's much more difficult if they're empty. Can't do much about the layout though
Old Aug 4th 2016, 12:11 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

The reason is simple: market is booming in most areas so agents don't need to bother taking decent pictures, doing floor plans or even worrying themselves about writing a well punctuated, informative blurb. Hence the turnover of houses in "well sort after" (give me strength) areas and those "ideal for investors" (move aside first home buyers who can't siphon capital from other rentals owned) is rapid.

Both times we have sold in NZ I have insisted on taking the pics and writing the blurb myself because otherwise it is just embarrassing.
Old Aug 4th 2016, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

maquis is an unknown quantity at this point

But the market has not always been "booming", and there's never been floor plans.
Old Aug 4th 2016, 9:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

In my experience UK estate agents have provided floor plans since the olden days you had to visit the shop and pick up printed leaflets. There was always a diagram on the back that showed the layout and door and window openings with quite exact measurements of rooms.

It is a pretty lamo excuse about the time it would take, the agents get paid a shedload to sell houses here and it only takes a second to measure end to end with one of those laser doodads.
Old Aug 4th 2016, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

Do you need any qualifications to be an Estate Agent in NZ?

You don't in the UK.

As posted upstream, perhaps a job opportunity.
Old Aug 4th 2016, 12:01 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

You need a licence, I think. That and a lack of conscience.
Old Aug 4th 2016, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
You need a licence, I think. That and a lack of conscience.
Half way there already, then.
Old Aug 4th 2016, 4:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Involvement in selling property seems to require the same probity as the trade in human flesh.
Old Aug 4th 2016, 9:00 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by scot47
Involvement in selling property seems to require the same probity as the trade in human flesh.
Old Aug 5th 2016, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
In my experience UK estate agents have provided floor plans since the olden days you had to visit the shop and pick up printed leaflets. There was always a diagram on the back that showed the layout and door and window openings with quite exact measurements of rooms.
My experience of buying and selling 4 houses between 1990 and 2005 in the UK would indicate that estate agents hadn't heard of floor plans. The dimensions were always included in the description of each room so you had to work it out for yourself. The only time I ever saw a floor plan in the UK was when my mum was buying off plan from a developer.
Old Aug 5th 2016, 2:37 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Woodlea
My experience of buying and selling 4 houses between 1990 and 2005 in the UK would indicate that estate agents hadn't heard of floor plans. The dimensions were always included in the description of each room so you had to work it out for yourself. The only time I ever saw a floor plan in the UK was when my mum was buying off plan from a developer.
That's my experience too. I sold my house in 2014 through an estate agent - no floor plan involved. Mind you, I think a good agent doesn't need one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.