British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Good Christchurch hotel for lone female (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/good-christchurch-hotel-lone-female-657586/)

tui Mar 3rd 2010 10:45 am

Good Christchurch hotel for lone female

I'm visiting Christchurch in July for a few days, after many years away.

Can anyone recommend a quiet, warm, central hotel with pleasant staff, mid-price but might be able to stretch to posh!? I'm a nervous middle-aged woman and will be on my own, so somewhere with a nice restaurant where I won't feel uncomfortable would be a bonus.

It used to be a bit hairy round the Square at night. If I do venture out, is there anywhere/anything I should avoid (apart from the usual things you'd avoid in any city at night :))?

Matewx Mar 3rd 2010 4:31 pm

Re: Good Christchurch hotel for lone female

There's a brand new Novotel on the square.... I would try it if I was you!

You could try the Ibis, it's very nice too! I stayed there on NYE!

Click the hotel names for links...

Jan n Neil Mar 3rd 2010 7:10 pm

Stuff the hotel come and stay with us, we are 20 mins out of town so u would need a car if u fancy it and we go to devil worship on a tuesday night ;)

Neil

P2L Mar 3rd 2010 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil (Post 8391258)
Stuff the hotel come and stay with us, we are 20 mins out of town so u would need a car if u fancy it and we go to devil worship on a tuesday night ;)

Neil

I'd be afraid!!! VERY afraid :rofl::rofl::rofl:

P2L Mar 3rd 2010 7:21 pm

The 2 most obvious ones are

Heritage Hotel http://www.heritagehotels.co.nz/christchurch/

and the Crowne Plaza.

Other popular ones that my Kiwi friends like include Chateau in the Park, which isn't absolutely central to town, but is in a nice location (overlooking Hagley Park)

HTH ;)

BEVS Mar 3rd 2010 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by P2L (Post 8391264)
I'd be afraid!!! VERY afraid

Who could resist.:eek:

Jan n Neil Mar 4th 2010 3:54 am

I forgot to mention axe murderers anonamous on a wednesday :blink:

cappuccino Mar 4th 2010 6:50 am

I stayed in the Heritage in the square last time I was in Chch. It was ok (gym/pool in another part of the hotel) but room service was awful - they got everything I ordered wrong!

derab Mar 4th 2010 8:09 am

The Food at the chateau on the park is pretty standard Kiwi fare of good quality.
the usual customers there are "of an age" so you would probably be in the lower 50% of the clientelle age wise. its the width of hagley park from the city ($10ish in a taxi) and its pretty reserved.
and I heartily recommend the pamper package that they do, its a 10 minute beauty treatment and lunch for $35 (Mon - Fri only) I booked the wife in for a double (so I could eat too) and she came back with permanent mascara and her eyebrows shaped. $70 well spent :thumbup:

tui Mar 4th 2010 10:38 am

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil (Post 8391258)

Neil

Thats really kind guys, but not only am I nervous and middle-aged, I can't drive either! :rofl:

OH and son are staying at home while I do a reccy of some old haunts. Think OH hopes it will get NZ out of my system and I'll stop going on about it!

tui Mar 4th 2010 10:56 am

Originally Posted by P2L (Post 8391288)

Other popular ones that my Kiwi friends like include Chateau in the Park, which isn't absolutely central to town, but is in a nice location (overlooking Hagley Park)
HTH ;)

Think I remember that from a school careers trip. It used to be called the Chateau Regency?

tui Mar 4th 2010 10:59 am

Thanks very much everyone for your advice. I need all the help I can get!

ibex Mar 5th 2010 6:11 am

Originally Posted by tui (Post 8392988)
Think OH hopes it will get NZ out of my system and I'll stop going on about it!

So he decided to throw you into the water full of sharks :rofl:

If I were you, I would not even come back :devil_smile:

From my memory there is one whole avenue of hotels/motels in Chch, sure one can help. Due to our budget we preferred self contained accommodation, but I guess it is not an option for you.

tui Mar 5th 2010 8:17 am

Originally Posted by ibex (Post 8395546)

If I were you, I would not even come back :devil_smile:

Would you not? Have you had a bad time?

I've been umming and ahing about it for years but have a very dear elderly friend in Christchurch that I'd love to see again and other friends in Wellington. But then I wonder if being reminded of the past will only make it harder to get on with life.

ibex Mar 5th 2010 8:24 am

I meant back home. NZ is fantastic, we enjoyed every second of it :thumbup: And I am sure you will too.