Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Good,bad and the ugly?

Good,bad and the ugly?

Old Dec 25th 2007, 7:06 pm
kopites are gobshites

this charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to behold
Default Good,bad and the ugly?

The lure of Mount Maunganui is getting stronger,we have plans to move there in a year or so and open our own bar/wine bar/cafe/restaurant thingeemejob.
I have 20 odd(very odd at times!) years experience of the same but none of N.Z. nor Mount Maunganui.

My wife is a returning kiwi,desperate to go home after 25 years.
Any forumees who have first hand knowledge of M.M and its various pros and cons please could they share it with us here?

Im sure any valuable information would be rewarded in due course in our drinking establishment!

Thank you.
Old Dec 25th 2007, 7:18 pm
Banned

Maryanne_Tga is just really niceMaryanne_Tga is just really niceMaryanne_Tga is just really niceMaryanne_Tga is just really niceMaryanne_Tga is just really niceMaryanne_Tga is just really niceMaryanne_Tga is just really niceMaryanne_Tga is just really niceMaryanne_Tga is just really niceMaryanne_Tga is just really nice
Default Re: Good,bad and the ugly?

Pros
- Nowdays more likely to be busy year round, but even more busy in Summer, it used to be DEAD in winter.
- More established than Papamoa.
- NZ is the easiest and best place in the world to set up a new business and to 'do' business. Out of 155 ranked countries NZ was number 1
Full report details here at the world bank.
http://siteresources.worldbank.org/I...B06_FAQ_En.pdf

Cons
- Competetion will be fierce (but that normal in bars and restaurants I guess?)
- Expensive.
- People telling you that you shouldnt do it I hate nay sayers.

Last edited by Maryanne_Tga; Dec 25th 2007 at 7:22 pm.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 8:51 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by this charming man
The lure of Mount Maunganui is getting stronger,we have plans to move there in a year or so and open our own bar/wine bar/cafe/restaurant thingeemejob.
I have 20 odd(very odd at times!) years experience of the same but none of N.Z. nor Mount Maunganui.

My wife is a returning kiwi,desperate to go home after 25 years.
Any forumees who have first hand knowledge of M.M and its various pros and cons please could they share it with us here?

Im sure any valuable information would be rewarded in due course in our drinking establishment!

Thank you.
In the desperate hope of free Bollinger for life I can share our last 8 months experience of living in Papamoa and working in Mount Maunganui! But firstly I must say great choice of location and great choice of career!

My husband was a returning Kiwi after more years than your wife! He was born just North of Wellington, but with 4 kids to stisfy we chose here for its growth and lifestyle - ie: weather and beach!

The Mount is a large area - and people often get confused when they say they want to live in "Tauranga" for example. The two main "strips" for cafes/bars/restaurants in the Mount itself are downtown Maunganui Road and the corner of Marine Parade with Adams Avenue. To be honest there are many wine bars, but from what I have seen they all do a roaring trade. Particulalry those on Marine Parade as they are opposite the Mount main beach under Mauao itself. We have some friends who have a cafe there that is for sale - in the best possible location as it's directly opposite the zebra crossing from the beach. They are all leasehold from what I know.

Papamoa really only has 2 bars and 2 pubs on the drinking front, slightly more choice for eateries, but if we want a good night out we head to the Mount or the Strand in Tauranga.

You could try googling the following that we rate quite highly to perhaps give you an idea on location and style.

Latitude 37 (Maunganui Road)
Astrolabe (Maunganui Road)
Beaches (Marine Parade)
Sidetrack (Marine Parade)

in Tauranga

The Buddha Lounge (The Strand)
The Naked Grape (The Strand)

In Papamoa

Rain (Fashion Island, Gravatt Road)
Blubiyou (The Domain)

You may have no joy googling them, but might be worth a try.

In addition, if you are looking at buying a going concern, I can let you know some real estate agencies who deal with commercial in the area?

Hope this helps.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 6:28 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
in Tauranga

The Buddha Lounge (The Strand)

What's next, the Jesus Joint, Mohammed's (PBUH) Bar 'n' Grill, Shiva's Shack, the Wailing Wall Pub...

Old Dec 28th 2007, 12:40 am
kopites are gobshites

this charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to behold

great idetails so far,ill rain-check the Bolly! for now.

Keep the info coming please folks............. Thanks.