Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Gold Coast holiday

Gold Coast holiday

Old Jul 15th 2008, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Frenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud of
Default Gold Coast holiday

Hi folks,

Was thinking of going to Gold Coast with OH and my 2 teens in December to celebrate my 50th!!

However someone has told me that as I am restricted to school holidays (daughter will be doing NCEA level 3) that the area will be mega busy. Any ideas hints/tips?
Ta
Old Jul 15th 2008, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Gold Coast holiday

Nah, it won't be mega busy provided you go before Christmas, we had a few holidays the two weeks before Christmas, absolutely wonderful, sun, sea and heat.

The schools can get a bit poohey about time out, especially for a holiday, gentle tact and plenty of advance warnings are the key, we never had any problems.

I remember on one occasion when we returned to Auckland and the thermometer said 12c..........we had to put the electric blankets on that night!

Last edited by Nice Guy; Jul 15th 2008 at 11:29 pm. Reason: Another spilling mistake
Old Jul 15th 2008, 11:30 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gold Coast holiday

Schoolies week is 16-25 November. Basically, this is when a lot of drunken australian teenagers run rampant on the Gold Coast. It is feral.

Unfortunately what that means is that the dates just after that, in early december are busy and then leading into Christmas where it is also busy.

The Queensland and NSW holidays are roughly the same as NZ holidays so chances are it will be busy. However, it is 'busy manageable' from what i know rather than 'busy unbearable'.

The theme parks will be busy because schools take their classes there for their end of year trip so even if the NSW/QLD holidays aren't on, chances are the theme parks will still be busy.

As for ideas, some people like to stay in Surfers Paradise. Personally, i don't like it....however, there are nicer places to stay slightly further down the coast. Broadbeach/Mermaid Beach is good. I stayed recently near Burleigh Heads (January) and enjoyed it. There is a bus to the theme parks and as long as you get on the express it can be pretty quick. However, for a few of you it is just as easy to drive and park the car there. Waste of a days rental car but certainly easy to get to.

As nippers, my parents took my brother and I to a place called Diamond Cove Apartments in mermaid beach a few times. In terms of location it was great, not quite in surfers paradise so my parents had a bit of a break but near enough for my brother and I to go to the beach or walk/bus to pacific fair. I know a few people also recommend Burleigh Heads which imo is actually really nice and prettier than mermaid beach surrounds. The only problem is that it is further away from Surfers (again, imo not such a bad thing!). Oh, Mermaid Beach now has a Hooters. I was horrified that they have put a Hooters next to where we used to play minigolf. My father, however, was pleased as punch to find this out and has suggested to my mother that they revist the Gold Coast.

Flying into Coollangatta is really convenient by the way. So if you can do that, do.

Oh, and the early evening buffet at the Crowne Plaza hotel (seafood night...tuesday i think??

Sorry, i went on a bit then
Old Jul 15th 2008, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this I'm just about to book us a hol in the Gold Coast and it's come in handy We'll be staying at Surfers Paradise at Paradise Resort Gold Coast in September, just before the school holidays
Old Jul 16th 2008, 2:50 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

As well as Schoolies, look out for Indy week at the end of October - fantastic if you are a petrol head and like watching cars race round the streets, hell if you aren't.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Frenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud of

This site is just brilliant!!! Now thinking of just before Christmas or just after new year. Thanks for all the usual good advice