Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Going to uni in australia ??

Going to uni in australia ??

Old Oct 3rd 2009, 6:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Going to uni in australia ??

We arrived in nz in june 08 so have been here for 16 months and have PR.
I think there is an agreement between nz and oz uni's that allows
kiwis to study in oz at home student fee's.
would my son also qualify for the normal (home student fee's if he
decided to go to oz to study.
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 8:26 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going to uni in australia ??

Well looking at "the Times" lists of Unis, several in Oz are well ahead of anything here for most areas of study/research.

Plus it will ensure that the young un gets a good feeling of being away from home - that tended to produce the more rounded individuals IMHO.

Sounds like a good plan, keep us posted.
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

He's got a ticket to return to the uk on the 6th December but he cant
study until he's been there for 3 years (after only being away for 16 months )
He's being very niave about how things are going to work out for him on
his own in the uk as he has nowhere to stay, no job and cant afford to study.
I'm not happy about letting him go but he needs to finds his own place in
the world now.
I'm hoping once the christmas parties have passed and all his friends have
returned to their universities he'll get a wake up call and look at his options, one
of which i'm hoping is an australian unversity which i think will be a happy medium for him.
He can then return to the uk full time armed with a degree and better
prospects of the career he wants.
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Hmmm, not sure if he'd qualify after reading this from Melbourne University.
I've underlined the magic word.
Looks like it will be an option for my youngest in the future but not for
the eldest right now

"This is the University’s policy relating to the calculation and
payment of tuition fees for both commencing and continuing
international students in 2010.
An international student:
Y is not an Australian citizen or permanent resident; and
Y does not hold a permanent Australian humanitarian visa; and
Y is not a New Zealand citizen.
If you are an Australian or New Zealand citizen, an Australian
permanent resident or if you hold a permanent Australian
humanitarian visa, you should refer to the separate publication,
Australian Student Tuition Fees 2010."
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

I think that's the same for working in Aus - the door is open once you are a NZ citizen, but NZ PR has no status
One good reason to gt NZ citizenship even if you're not that keen on NZ!
Old Oct 6th 2009, 3:42 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

Uni of Auckland and Otago rank pretty well actually for this wee country so don't write them off tooooo soon!
Old Oct 6th 2009, 3:51 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pricklykina
Uni of Auckland and Otago rank pretty well actually for this wee country so don't write them off tooooo soon!
Not writing them off but the Aussie ones are rather better on most objective tests. Surely if your child is gifted in one area or another you would want the best opportunity for them to get on academically, just as you would choose NZ for other aspects of their development.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 3:58 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

Auckland rates at 65...higher than warwick, Durham, LSE etc...pretty good really and is well recognised overseas. I'm just saying don't write off those two in particular. They are not acting as poor relations and the standards are particularly rigorous there

There are some pretty gifted kids there I can assure you LOL
Old Oct 6th 2009, 4:12 am
you dewty owld maan!

The THES rank has AKL at 65, but this seems more radical:

http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/rank/2007/ARWU2007TOP500list.htm

Takes my institution down from 6th in the world to 23rd and 3rd in Europe.

AKL is out of the top 200
Massey - ditto- top 300
Otago - ditto- top 300
Canterbury - ditto- top 400
Victoria - ditto- top 400

Aussies ones have 6 in the top 150. So no contest.
Singapore has one in top 100 so size doesn't matter so much - maybe not being "elitist" makes NZ suffer.......
Old Oct 6th 2009, 4:18 am
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by pricklykina
Auckland rates at 65...higher than warwick, Durham, LSE etc...pretty good really and is well recognised overseas. I'm just saying don't write off those two in particular. They are not acting as poor relations and the standards are particularly rigorous there

There are some pretty gifted kids there I can assure you LOL
Auckland should not be above LSE - look at the internal UK ratings and the external ones, they are not consistent.

BTW if you look at the THES weightings and the raw data (as I have done in the past) then AKL gets lots of points for overseas members of staff.....which probably skews it compared to the chinese table which has all your institutions you quote except Warwick above AKL.......and well ahead of the others......
Warwick is very good at some things (e.g. Maths) and mediocre at others - it is not the same institution as AKL. I know it pretty well, never taught there but have lectured and done research at a few in the UK........plus lived close by....so knew a few staff members and had a few friends/family study there - mainly maths and vehicle design which were the better subjects.....
Old Oct 6th 2009, 4:29 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Reading the posts, this may be more about where the university is. i.e. the UK is this lad's first choice. Oz is his parents hopes for a happy medium. NZ is last on the son's list of locations to live in.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bevs has got it spot on .
I would be only to pleased for him to attend an NZ uni but
he wants to go home and i would rather him go with my blessing
than argue the point and have him feeling he cant return should
things not work out for him.
Oz would be a happy medium but its his choice and we can only support him
as best as we can.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 3:44 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colandros
He's got a ticket to return to the uk on the 6th December but he cant
study until he's been there for 3 years (after only being away for 16 months )
I admit I am hazy about this - UK university students apply through a central body of some sort don't they? This happened to a friend of mine who grew up in NZ but went back to the UK when she was 18. She had the option of applying directly as a home student and was accepted by a few.

Is that still an option to apply directly outside of that central body? Like I said, my friend did it but it was a few (and a few more!) years ago so I am not sure if it's the same.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 3:59 am
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess
I admit I am hazy about this - UK university students apply through a central body of some sort don't they? This happened to a friend of mine who grew up in NZ but went back to the UK when she was 18. She had the option of applying directly as a home student and was accepted by a few.

Is that still an option to apply directly outside of that central body? Like I said, my friend did it but it was a few (and a few more!) years ago so I am not sure if it's the same.
Not sure how you'd convince any university that you were a 'home student' if you had Level 3 qualifications or even Cambridge A levels from New Zealand body.

You can pretty much apply to any university directly, but once again they would tend to view you as an 'overseas student' and charge you accordingly. Remember they are looking to maximise revenue...

.....the only bright spot, if you can call it that, is that in a few years the government will allow uni's to charge 'market rates' for everyone so it won't make any difference where you come from...in fact the way things are going with the pound, British universities will become a lot cheaper and there will be more and more international students...still one way to get foreign currency I guess.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 4:04 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Many New Zealand universities have exchange programs as well, I’ve known folks from NZ universities who’ve went on exchange to Cornell and Stanford.

I guess it depends on what your lad wants to study though and how motivated he is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.