Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Going round in (possibly expensive) circles

Going round in (possibly expensive) circles

Old Jan 15th 2007, 9:15 am
Just Joined

backdraftuk will become famous soon enoughbackdraftuk will become famous soon enough
Default Going round in (possibly expensive) circles

Hi all,

we have decided we want to give NZ a go, but now its giving me a headache.

From what we have read and talking to the immigration people last November we know that Liz will fail the medical, due to ongoing costs. But it was implied that if we applied for a waiver it "should" not be a problem. However you cannot be medically assessed without going through the whole application process. However, we have decided to go ahead even if a positive outcome is not guaranteed.

We are going to apply on my job (teacher) and the plan at the moment looks like this.

1) Pay and get my NZQA to assess my Qualifications.
2) Pay and register with NZ Teachers council.
3) Put in an EOI, but without a job will only get just over 100 pts so unlikely to get a ITA
4) Try and find a job with out a work visa (probably unlikely)

5) If either 3) or 4) work apply for PR and get knocked back on the medical.
6) Appeal for a waiver (and in the meantime lose any job I might have been offered)

7) Adopt plan B, depending on the result of 6)

Considering the cost, grief and likely negative outcome we still think it's worth a punt. What do you old hands think?

Steve.
Old Jan 15th 2007, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going round in (possibly expensive) circles

Originally Posted by backdraftuk
Hi all,

From what we have read and talking to the immigration people last November we know that Liz will fail the medical, due to ongoing costs. But it was implied that if we applied for a waiver it "should" not be a problem. However you cannot be medically assessed without going through the whole application process. However, we have decided to go ahead even if a positive outcome is not guaranteed.

We are going to apply on my job (teacher) and the plan at the moment looks like this.

3) Put in an EOI, but without a job will only get just over 100 pts so unlikely to get a ITA

6) Appeal for a waiver (and in the meantime lose any job I might have been offered)

Considering the cost, grief and likely negative outcome we still think it's worth a punt. What do you old hands think?

Steve.

personally .......nothing ventured nothing gained & you won't know unless you try spring to my mind ( & now i sound like my mum )
best of luck to you what ever you decide, & welcome
Old Jan 15th 2007, 12:24 pm

Mandie is an unknown quantity at this point

How about going for a 'work to residency' visa which appears to have a much quicker turnaround and then once you're in nz you can apply for residency i think it's within 2 years...

So you'd have to get police certificates, apply to register as a teacher, get job offer, have medicals and then with all this in place apply for the visa...if you go to the office will get decision within couple of days, if posted will be within couple of weeks

Just a thought
Good luck with what ever you decide to do
Mandie
Old Jan 15th 2007, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

claire hopkins has much to be proud ofclaire hopkins has much to be proud ofclaire hopkins has much to be proud ofclaire hopkins has much to be proud ofclaire hopkins has much to be proud ofclaire hopkins has much to be proud ofclaire hopkins has much to be proud ofclaire hopkins has much to be proud ofclaire hopkins has much to be proud ofclaire hopkins has much to be proud ofclaire hopkins has much to be proud of

Hi, We are in the same position, we knew that it was very likely that our application would be declined on medical grounds (costs)for our son who has cystc fibrosis. we were also told that having a medical waiver if all failed should not be a problem please take this with a pinch of salt, at this moment in time our application which is complete and has no other issues other than the medical has been to a medical assessor in NZ so many times over the last 4 months with counter arguements over costs it is beyond a joke, If you are serious than go for it collect as much information as you can, ask the forum direct questions for your answers let immigration know you know if someone has been accepted with the same condition and continue to argue the facts on a ONE BY ONE case and not in there eyes a worse case senerio. please PM me if you feel you need to talk direct
Good Luck
The Hopkins clan
Old Jan 15th 2007, 1:03 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by backdraftuk
Hi all,

Steve.
Hi Steve & Co.

Welcome to the forum.

Having read your dilemna, I would say that you should do whatever you and your family feel comfortable with. I would gather as much information on the medical front and speak to the experts.

When you have done this and have made a decision as to whether to proceed or not, then it may be possible to speak or email someone at NZ House. They are quite helpful in telling you what the possible outcomes could be but won't tell you a definitive answer. We've always had the offical statement of the decision rests with your appointed case officer.

I have to say IMHO that I would 'give it a go' cos I'd hate to wonder what if......

Good Luck with whatever you choose to do and if We can be of any help then shout out. There are plenty of people here who are happy to help and support you.

Sarah
Old Jan 16th 2007, 11:06 am
Just Joined

backdraftuk will become famous soon enoughbackdraftuk will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the quick replies,

Yes we have decided its worth a try rather than looking back with "what if".

We did look at the work to res option but discounted it for some reason which I can't recall, so may have a look again.

Claire, we certainly did take "no problem" with a pinch of salt, since if it's not a problem why have the rule in the first place? Unless it gives them another way of selecting people, i.e yes you are going to cost but your overall contribution will/will not make up for this. But either way good luck and keep us informed.

Steve.
Old Jan 16th 2007, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

ballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really nice

see your other post

Last edited by ballsrburning; Jan 16th 2007 at 3:51 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2007, 4:56 pm
Just Joined

Frodomurphy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
Hi Steve & Co.

Welcome to the forum.

Having read your dilemna, I would say that you should do whatever you and your family feel comfortable with. I would gather as much information on the medical front and speak to the experts.

When you have done this and have made a decision as to whether to proceed or not, then it may be possible to speak or email someone at NZ House. They are quite helpful in telling you what the possible outcomes could be but won't tell you a definitive answer. We've always had the offical statement of the decision rests with your appointed case officer.

I have to say IMHO that I would 'give it a go' cos I'd hate to wonder what if......

Good Luck with whatever you choose to do and if We can be of any help then shout out. There are plenty of people here who are happy to help and support you.

Sarah
Hi there, was wondering if someone could give us some advice. My husband and I are in the process of emigrating to NZ. Everything has gone through okay, only on Friday, we received an e-mail saying that becaus of my Husband's Psoriatic Arthritis, and that it's going to cost in excess of $25K per year to look after him, they are going to decline our application - our only option is to now apply for a medical waiver. A bit of history on us, my husband is a time-served Pipe fitter/Fabricator, with over 20 years experience and we are applying under the skilled migrant category, my entire family, Mum, Dad and two sisters and their families (both married and one has three girls) live in Christchurch. After 8 years of trying to get pregnant, we have just found out I am expecting a baby in September - we think that once we had decided to move to NZ, it just happened, after years of trying. Do you thinkwe have a better chance because I have my entire immediate family in Christchurch, NZ and that I am pregnant with my first child? What do we put in our letter to them requesting a medical waiver - we are desperate to move out there and I don't think I could cope if they turned around and told us we couldn't go - I really want to be near my family, especially now that I'm having a baby. Any advice would be welcomed - many thanks! Frodox
Old Jan 28th 2007, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by claire hopkins
Hi, We are in the same position, we knew that it was very likely that our application would be declined on medical grounds (costs)for our son who has cystc fibrosis. we were also told that having a medical waiver if all failed should not be a problem please take this with a pinch of salt, at this moment in time our application which is complete and has no other issues other than the medical has been to a medical assessor in NZ so many times over the last 4 months with counter arguements over costs it is beyond a joke, If you are serious than go for it collect as much information as you can, ask the forum direct questions for your answers let immigration know you know if someone has been accepted with the same condition and continue to argue the facts on a ONE BY ONE case and not in there eyes a worse case senerio. please PM me if you feel you need to talk direct
Good Luck
The Hopkins clan
Hi Claire,
Im very interested in what people have said about the Medical Waiver, please help.
We are actually in New Zealand now and my mother in law and family is with us. She has submitted her ITA. 3 years ago she had breast cancer with no further treatment. Immigration are making things awkward and have asked for lots of info from English Doctors. She has now supplied this and is waiting for an answer. She has now lost the job she was offered.
So, if this fails, what is the medical waiver? how does it work. Hope you can help. Thanks, carole
Old Jan 28th 2007, 8:02 pm
Just Joined

Curious is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, have a friend who had breast cancer and got residency. The only problem is that it has somplications for her medical insurance. Might depend on the type of cancer, etc. but maybe they are just being typically cautious and need to get all the information just to make sure.

Hope everything works out ok but it might not be as bleak as you think.
Old Jan 28th 2007, 8:03 pm
Just Joined

Curious is an unknown quantity at this point

Meant some complications not somplications
Old Jan 28th 2007, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

claire hopkins has much to be proud ofclaire hopkins has much to be proud ofclaire hopkins has much to be proud ofclaire hopkins has much to be proud ofclaire hopkins has much to be proud ofclaire hopkins has much to be proud ofclaire hopkins has much to be proud ofclaire hopkins has much to be proud ofclaire hopkins has much to be proud ofclaire hopkins has much to be proud ofclaire hopkins has much to be proud of

Hi Carole,

The way we understand the Medical waiver is that all the info goes to a NZIS delegation schedule 1 level (whatever that means we think probably the case officers immediate manager?) they review all the info including what the Medical assessors have to say and decide if they are going to grant you a waiver, and a waiver is exactly that they will waive the specific medical condition. If the medical assessor comes back with a NO you have 30 days to respond and argue any points you disagree with, if you can get more info of any other person who has got in with the same problem it may help but remember that every time you respond/argue with the MA thats another month before you will hear back. In our case Jordan's info went three times to the medical assessor 1 in London 2 to NZ, it dosn't matter what our argument has been they will come back with another way around saying no, there latest was that CF sufferers are treated different in NZ to UK with more hospitalization than the UK (possibly a bit behind the times). We have now given up that route and applied for Medical Waiver (our case officer has not a clue on the outcome even off the record as she has never dealt with anyone with an appendix 10 illness). If you need to apply for waiver this is simply a letter outlining everything that you have to offer, how the illness is now and in the future, but always put a positive spin and how you would be an asset to NZ and not a drain on their health system. If this fails there is a resident review board that you can appeal to (we have not got this far yet so cannot give too much detail, we think it is an independent government body who will agree or disagree with the NZIS decision), do a search for their website and have a look at previous health decisions because a precedent may have already been set, but you will be gobsmacked at the amount of people who have been accepted even with conditions that are automatic declines i.e. dialysis treatment etc.

Hope this helps Hon, you never know it may come back from MA as OK! as your mum-inlaw has had no further treatment, Good luck!

Claire x
Old Jan 30th 2007, 3:59 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Frodomurphy
Hi there, was wondering if someone could give us some advice. My husband and I are in the process of emigrating to NZ. Everything has gone through okay, only on Friday, we received an e-mail saying that becaus of my Husband's Psoriatic Arthritis, and that it's going to cost in excess of $25K per year to look after him, they are going to decline our application - our only option is to now apply for a medical waiver. A bit of history on us, my husband is a time-served Pipe fitter/Fabricator, with over 20 years experience and we are applying under the skilled migrant category, my entire family, Mum, Dad and two sisters and their families (both married and one has three girls) live in Christchurch. After 8 years of trying to get pregnant, we have just found out I am expecting a baby in September - we think that once we had decided to move to NZ, it just happened, after years of trying. Do you thinkwe have a better chance because I have my entire immediate family in Christchurch, NZ and that I am pregnant with my first child? What do we put in our letter to them requesting a medical waiver - we are desperate to move out there and I don't think I could cope if they turned around and told us we couldn't go - I really want to be near my family, especially now that I'm having a baby. Any advice would be welcomed - many thanks! Frodox
Is there not some way in due to the fact that your entire family is over there? I remember when we were there my mum started talking about coming over and we discovered she would almost certainly be let in due to me being her only family. Is this type of arthritis your husband has aggravated by stress in any way? Maybe use that as an argument, ie. you will both be so stressed not to be near your family that his condition will worsen. It's a long shot but anything's worth a try if you're desperate.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 5:45 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Frodomurphy
Congrats on the long awaited pregnancy and good luck for an impending move to NZ. Just a thought - could you not apply under the 'family' quota, being sponsored by your family that is already there, instead of the skilled migrant route. It will depend on your families status already in NZ, the details of which I am unfamiliar. I would think this could be an advantage for you.

Also, think it may be good to communicate how much you want to move to NZ for its own benefits, how determined you are to make it work and contribute to your new homeland etc, as well as to be near family (which is hugely understandable). It's hard to convey what we may perceive to be the 'right' messages to NZIS, especially with the surge of new hormones going on! Although who knows how much this affects the outcome anyway. Good luck.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 11:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by claire hopkins
Hi Carole,

The way we understand the Medical waiver is that all the info goes to a NZIS delegation schedule 1 level (whatever that means we think probably the case officers immediate manager?) they review all the info including what the Medical assessors have to say and decide if they are going to grant you a waiver, and a waiver is exactly that they will waive the specific medical condition. If the medical assessor comes back with a NO you have 30 days to respond and argue any points you disagree with, if you can get more info of any other person who has got in with the same problem it may help but remember that every time you respond/argue with the MA thats another month before you will hear back. In our case Jordan's info went three times to the medical assessor 1 in London 2 to NZ, it dosn't matter what our argument has been they will come back with another way around saying no, there latest was that CF sufferers are treated different in NZ to UK with more hospitalization than the UK (possibly a bit behind the times). We have now given up that route and applied for Medical Waiver (our case officer has not a clue on the outcome even off the record as she has never dealt with anyone with an appendix 10 illness). If you need to apply for waiver this is simply a letter outlining everything that you have to offer, how the illness is now and in the future, but always put a positive spin and how you would be an asset to NZ and not a drain on their health system. If this fails there is a resident review board that you can appeal to (we have not got this far yet so cannot give too much detail, we think it is an independent government body who will agree or disagree with the NZIS decision), do a search for their website and have a look at previous health decisions because a precedent may have already been set, but you will be gobsmacked at the amount of people who have been accepted even with conditions that are automatic declines i.e. dialysis treatment etc.

Hope this helps Hon, you never know it may come back from MA as OK! as your mum-inlaw has had no further treatment, Good luck!

Claire x
Hi Claire,
Thanks so much for the helpful advice. She has a 2 week wait now for a decision and then we use plan B.
I just wondered if you new of any actual sites where i would find out if anyone else has got in with this condition. I have searched everything i can on google. Thanks anyway and goodluck to you and your family. carole

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.