Reload this Page >

Going round in Circles!

Going round in Circles!

Old Mar 31st 2006, 10:13 am
Just Joined

lollo is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Going round in Circles!

Hello

Oh dear, what do we do? Hope you guys can answer some of my questions!

Visited New Zealand in 2002 and spent 3 months in the South Island. Me and my partner really loved it and ever since we returned to the UK we have always considered going back. Just not happy here.

We just cannot make a decision! We have a nice house, decent jobs and so on. Is it worth giving up everything, upsetting family etc etc to fly off to the other side of the world? Enjoy some aspects of England but a lot of stuff here p***es us off!
We love the outdoors and feel NZ would be a great place to be and the right place to bring up kids. (Not got any yet) Thing that worries me is how difficult would it be starting a family without any support from family.

Considering going out on Working Holiday Visa's and see how thing's go. Hopefully if we enjoy we will try and get permanent jobs. I'm in the Travel business and OH is an electrical engineer. Would we earn decent money? I know we won't be financially better off in NZ.

Decisions! If we didn't go I'm sure we would regret it in 5 years or so. It's just so scarey. Me and my partner have both felt the same but recently he seems to be swaying towards staying here! Ahhhh it's so frustrating.

I would like to know how you finally made the decision to go out there. Is it worth it? How does it compare to the UK?

Thanks again and sorry for waffling on

Lollo
Old Mar 31st 2006, 10:32 am
VP - Rangers Support Club

theduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant future
Default Re: Going round in Circles!

Originally Posted by lollo
Hello

Visited New Zealand in 2002 and spent 3 months in the South Island. Me and my partner really loved it and ever since we returned to the UK we have always considered going back. Just not happy here.

We just cannot make a decision! We have a nice house, decent jobs and so on. Is it worth giving up everything, upsetting family etc etc to fly off to the other side of the world? Enjoy some aspects of England but a lot of stuff here p***es us off!
We love the outdoors and feel NZ would be a great place to be and the right place to bring up kids. (Not got any yet) Thing that worries me is how difficult would it be starting a family without any support from family.

Considering going out on Working Holiday Visa's and see how thing's go. Hopefully if we enjoy we will try and get permanent jobs. I'm in the Travel business and OH is an electrical engineer. Would we earn decent money? I know we won't be financially better off in NZ.

Decisions! If we didn't go I'm sure we would regret it in 5 years or so. It's just so scarey. Me and my partner have both felt the same but recently he seems to be swaying towards staying here! Ahhhh it's so frustrating.

I would like to know how you finally made the decision to go out there. Is it worth it? How does it compare to the UK?

Lollo
I dont think this is what you are looking for but I think you have to make your own minds up, why not try it out and then say yes or no, dont sell the house rent it out, come on temp visa etc.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by theduke
I dont think this is what you are looking for but I think you have to make your own minds up, why not try it out and then say yes or no, dont sell the house rent it out, come on temp visa etc.
Ditto!!
Very sound advice Duke!!!

Dave
Old Apr 1st 2006, 1:33 am
Just Joined

randl is an unknown quantity at this point

Try reading the thread on moving back to the UK:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61
It makes for very good reading and raises some issues you may not have considered. Best of luck
Old Apr 1st 2006, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

westies is a jewel in the roughwesties is a jewel in the roughwesties is a jewel in the roughwesties is a jewel in the rough

Hello

Lollo
It will certainly be easier now whilst you have no kids, if you don't like it you can go back to the uk, would be a shame to never try it, you will always be thinking what if!!
Old Apr 4th 2006, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

I agree with what others have said.
I made the decision to come on the way to work one day with my husband. It was as easy as that. Less than a year later we were here. We had a 13 and 15 yr old who were both keen to come for a bit of an adventure but it is harder with kids so I would definately do it now if you're both still up for it.
We all love it and would never move back to UK. We have both been back to see family and couldn't wait to get back here.
It is hard at first, I miss my sisters and parents but its the choice I made, and they have all enjoyed a great summer here earlier this year.
Old Apr 4th 2006, 1:49 am
Forum Regular

Squidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really nice

Okay guys, you really do need to think about this, I know exactly where you are coming from.

My hubby wanted to come back home after living in the UK for 6 years, during which time we met and married.

We are now living in Papamoa, this is my 4th time over here so I knew a little of what to expect and I have family friends here too so I am better off than most.

Would I do it again ? Ask me that in 12 months time as at the moment I am homesick, out of work and sitting at home waiting for hubby to come home as I do not have transport apart from the local bus service.
I am still looking for work, I was a sales rep back in the UK for 15 years. So far I have been told I am too qualified, should be living in Auckland or when will I be leaving to go back to the UK.

I do not wish to appear rude to the Kiwi's of this world, but I expect when they go over the UK they would say the same, it is not always easy to get to know people. Those that I have met that have done their OE are much easier to get to know than those who haven't.

It also sounds very lovely emigrating etc, but remember the most important thing life is exactly the same it is only the geography that is different, you still have to get up go to work, earn money pay bills etc so do not see it as Shangri-La. Your friends and family are extremely important do not dismiss their feelings and yours.

Telephone and e-mail are wonderful you learn to rely on it, but it is not the same as popping in for a cup of tea.

If you do decide to do it, DO NOT go back for at least 18 months, allow yourself time to settle as I have spoken to people who have gone back for holidays sooner and regretted it.

Please understand I do not want to paint a gloomy picture but sometimes you can get swept along with a rosy picture and it does need careful consideration.

I love walking along beach, the weather and scenery are great, we have met a couple of people who are becoming good friends and we have now been here 4 months and if I had that job I think it would be much better.

Hope this is of help.

Sharron

Hello

Lollo
Old Apr 4th 2006, 10:55 am
livewire

(Other than homesickness and missing relatives and friends) the biggest reasons why people go back to Britain are lack of career opportunities and low salaries/wages.

NZ has many of the social problems you'd find in the Uk (just on a smaller scale) and some places are a lot worse than others, just as you'd find in the UK.

If you already know the country and fancy a change then why not give it a go? Rent your house out and go for it. If after a while you decide you want to stay long term then sell up and bring it all over. If you decide not to then you've not lost much but have had a terrific life experience.

Get PR first though - that way you are not tied to an employer, can move around NZ if the fancy takes you and you can stay as long as you want.

Old Apr 6th 2006, 7:45 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by livewire
(Other than homesickness and missing relatives and friends) the biggest reasons why people go back to Britain are lack of career opportunities and low salaries/wages.

NZ has many of the social problems you'd find in the Uk (just on a smaller scale) and some places are a lot worse than others, just as you'd find in the UK.

If you already know the country and fancy a change then why not give it a go? Rent your house out and go for it. If after a while you decide you want to stay long term then sell up and bring it all over. If you decide not to then you've not lost much but have had a terrific life experience.

Get PR first though - that way you are not tied to an employer, can move around NZ if the fancy takes you and you can stay as long as you want.
Hi there,

My 5 cents: :scared:

Its all personal. I spent many an hour on this forum before moving to NZ (from South Africa) and in some ways it just confused me more.

What you want may not be what we do blah blah blah BUT

I will say, LOUR & CLEAR

New Zealand is an AWESOME place to bring up kids and our wee lad (recent turned 3) is our No 1 priority.

I posted some news recently on my return after some time to this forum. Have a look you may find it interesting.

NZ is not for everyone, big $ is not here (well maybe) but a great lifestyle is.

Cheers

Campbell
Old Apr 6th 2006, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

kooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: Going round in Circles!

Hello

I would like to kHinow how you finally made the decision to go out there. Is it worth it? How does it compare to the UK?

Lollo
Hi,

Most of the advise given I agree with. You don't want to be sitting at home in years to come and be wondering what if. Get your PR, rent out the house, and give it a go. As others have said, you've not got kids so thats one BIG headache out of the way. If you wait and then decide to go for it with kids,.... well believe me its murder (been there, done that!). Make sure you are both committed though. Bear in mind that thousands of young Kiwi's and Aussie's do the same, only they go to Europe/Uk. If they can do it why not you?

I think what everybody has to realise is that most (but not all) of the jobs we get out here when we first arrive are only available to us because the Kiwi's don't want them (that is unless its in a specific field). Lets face it back in the UK the same happens. I bet not many kiwi's jump straight into ideal jobs, but they adapt. You have to be here for a while to get a feel for where the best jobs are, and sort the chafe from the wheat. The first couple of jobs I had were terrible, and I was a designer with 20 years experience! And still got caught out.

Don't despair, the good jobs are out there, but you have to learn to be adaptable and patient.

Anyway, good luck, what ever you decide to do.

Kooga