Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Going nowhere fast!

Going nowhere fast!

Old Apr 28th 2010, 4:25 am
Just Joined

Jode81 is just really niceJode81 is just really niceJode81 is just really niceJode81 is just really niceJode81 is just really niceJode81 is just really niceJode81 is just really niceJode81 is just really nice
Default Going nowhere fast!

Hi All,

It has taken my partner and myself 2yrs to get to NZ. He is a Maintainence Engineer and I am in Banking.

First week here was all good, bought a car, staying with some family in Te Awamutu. Jamie had an interview last week. The concern is that the guy said he would let him know in 2 days to a week. The week was up yesterday.

We have big hopes for this role... If this was in UK, I would be concerned that he had not heard within the timescales given. When they say 2 days to a week, is it common for them to give you good news later or is this a bad sign?

Jode
Old Apr 28th 2010, 4:38 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Going nowhere fast!

Originally Posted by Jode81
Hi All,

It has taken my partner and myself 2yrs to get to NZ. He is a Maintainence Engineer and I am in Banking.

First week here was all good, bought a car, staying with some family in Te Awamutu. Jamie had an interview last week. The concern is that the guy said he would let him know in 2 days to a week. The week was up yesterday.

We have big hopes for this role... If this was in UK, I would be concerned that he had not heard within the timescales given. When they say 2 days to a week, is it common for them to give you good news later or is this a bad sign?

Jode
I probably wont be getting my hopes up, but nothing wrong with a follow up call if you havent heard back in the timeframe quoted. NZers are not good at giving feedback, so it may just be that they are still waiting, or it may be that the role is not his. Dont follow up until you know it is outside the timeframe tthey gave him, and then a quick call from you would be appropriate.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 5:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Kiwi,s are not good at all at timescales it took one guy 3 weeks to ring me for a job, come to think of it i waited a month for another call and that was a large multinational

Neil
Old Apr 28th 2010, 5:30 am
Just Joined

Jode81 is just really niceJode81 is just really niceJode81 is just really niceJode81 is just really niceJode81 is just really niceJode81 is just really niceJode81 is just really niceJode81 is just really nice

Thanks for the response.

Jamie has called and was told that the guy had 3 more applicants that are Kiwi. We weren't told that they have to hire a NZer over a foreigner if they have comparative skills and the paperwork involved for the employer is huge, which is obviously a turn off for them.

Anyway, they said that they would call him at the end of the week.

How have you guys found the job search in NZ?
Old Apr 28th 2010, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Have you got PR? If so, the paperwork is the same, and there should be no preferences for a Kiwi (though in reality......)

If no PR, then yes, you are right unfortunately, unless a job is on the long term skills shortage list, they should employ a Kiwi first.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 5:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

has he tried tetrapak in hamilton?
I believe they have been on the look out for
maint people recently.
might be worth a call
Old Apr 28th 2010, 7:42 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

T

Jamie has called and was told that the guy had 3 more applicants that are Kiwi. We weren't told that they have to hire a NZer over a foreigner
Who, exactly , told you this? Or did not tell you this .
Old Apr 28th 2010, 3:47 pm
watch this space.......!!

gags has a spectacular aura aboutgags has a spectacular aura aboutgags has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the response.

Jamie has called and was told that the guy had 3 more applicants that are Kiwi. We weren't told that they have to hire a NZer over a foreigner if they have comparative skills and the paperwork involved for the employer is huge, which is obviously a turn off for them.

Anyway, they said that they would call him at the end of the week.

How have you guys found the job search in NZ?
Frustrating. To get our visa OH needs a job offer. He is on the ASSL and the agency said he would be in touch about now if not should have been sooner, but hasn't, no matter how many emails we've sent Don't want to annoy the guy but it's frustrating. Want to move over in July/Aug 2010. Anyone else finding this hard?
Old Apr 28th 2010, 6:46 pm
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gags
Frustrating. To get our visa OH needs a job offer. He is on the ASSL and the agency said he would be in touch about now if not should have been sooner, but hasn't, no matter how many emails we've sent Don't want to annoy the guy but it's frustrating. Want to move over in July/Aug 2010. Anyone else finding this hard?
Not sure if you are talking about an immigration agency or a job agency...however,

I've found some job agencies very poor in responding, even though I can see vacancies and even though I have been to their offices and registered and even though they were quite positive. Unless you already have permission to work or are in the country, they don't seem to be very interested. I suspect they are just prioritising - if they are getting applications over their websites and have enough in-country possibilities it isn't worth their while to go to much trouble on what they might see as a long shot.

At least that's my interpretation. Although I'm skilled, experienced and also on the shortage lists, my experience isn't so exceptional that employers will bite my hand off remotely so to speak.

WP
Old Apr 28th 2010, 8:03 pm

gags has a spectacular aura aboutgags has a spectacular aura aboutgags has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by WhingingPom
Not sure if you are talking about an immigration agency or a job agency...however,

I've found some job agencies very poor in responding, even though I can see vacancies and even though I have been to their offices and registered and even though they were quite positive. Unless you already have permission to work or are in the country, they don't seem to be very interested. I suspect they are just prioritising - if they are getting applications over their websites and have enough in-country possibilities it isn't worth their while to go to much trouble on what they might see as a long shot.

At least that's my interpretation. Although I'm skilled, experienced and also on the shortage lists, my experience isn't so exceptional that employers will bite my hand off remotely so to speak.

WP
Job agencies I mean. What do you think the answer is?
Old Apr 28th 2010, 10:16 pm
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

I can't give you an absolute answer, but I've got some suggestions. First try phoning rather than emailing. Recruiters tend to be person people, they prefer talking to writing in my experience. Emails are a second best option.

Secondly, try applying directly and by posting your CV. It's much harder to ignore a paper copy than an email. Some companies don't go through agencies and give credit for the direct approach.

Apart from that I guess you just need to persist. Don't rely on the agency doing all the legwork for you. It might work, but the best approach is to try every approach and don't get disheartened.

Also my experiences may not match yours. I work in IT/computing - your industry might be different. Good Luck!

Hope that helps.

WP
Old Apr 29th 2010, 1:41 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by colandros
has he tried tetrapak in hamilton?
I believe they have been on the look out for
maint people recently.
might be worth a call
Thank You, will get him to try them.

Do not have PR only Work to reside. Similar to "Whinging Pom". He does make the skilled shortage but there are other Kiwis able to do the job. I believe it is unwritten thing. Why hire a pom and have to contend with all the paperwork when its easier to hire one of your own? Can't blame them, wish we were more like that at home..

Jode
Old Apr 29th 2010, 5:32 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

We've got a regular need for maintenance fitters down in Taupo.
Tenon, local mill. Permapine, mill. MB Century, thermal power generation, hen there's all the dam power stations etc.
All depends on how far you want to spread your wings for work.
You'll probably have more joy if you go door knocking and introduce yourself, it gives the chance for an interview without it being an interview.

I just got recruited by a local engineering firm, so it's my last day of doors and windows tomorrow

Best of luck on the hunt.
Old May 1st 2010, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by WhingingPom
I can't give you an absolute answer, but I've got some suggestions. First try phoning rather than emailing. Recruiters tend to be person people, they prefer talking to writing in my experience. Emails are a second best option.

Secondly, try applying directly and by posting your CV. It's much harder to ignore a paper copy than an email. Some companies don't go through agencies and give credit for the direct approach.

Apart from that I guess you just need to persist. Don't rely on the agency doing all the legwork for you. It might work, but the best approach is to try every approach and don't get disheartened.

Also my experiences may not match yours. I work in IT/computing - your industry might be different. Good Luck!

Hope that helps.

WP
We have been told now that things are picking up for 2010 and it all looks alittle brighter so here's hoping.

Push to shove and we could wait til end of year but just wan't to get on with living really and it's like living in limbo. I quess we have been doing that for 2 years now so I should be used to it