British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   GOING FOR IT, I think! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/going-i-think-683473/)

Mudplug Aug 31st 2010 10:40 am

GOING FOR IT, I think!

Ok so we have had out ups and down lately, our house has been on the market for a year and not sold, I know - to much money, crap agent, out in the sticks village, all the excuses! yes we could drop the price but we do actually want to come to NZ with enough money to make a start.

So after a while begun to think it might not be so bad to stay here, the UKs not that bad really, the kids get a good education, NHS etc. So that was it, we tried to put NZ to the back of our minds, concentrate on our house, new kitchen, en-suites, conservatory, re-vamp the garden, but its still there nagging away like a toothache, if we let this go will we regret it......... will be really be any better off staying here......... So in a moment of madness I took it upon myself to say, SOD IT!!!!! God I so do not want to spend the rest of my life wishing, or saying what if, you only live once, so go for it!

So its going to cost a pretty penny for all 6 of us to validate which has to be done by June, so we are thinking about Feb (school exams to consider etc)

So any ideas of where to stay (on the cheap) a little bird told me about the hostels, having never stayed in one (I have a rather strange images of a huge barn with rows of beds, bit like the carry on films) so any advice would be very welcome,

Thank you x

chippy64 Aug 31st 2010 11:55 am

Re: GOING FOR IT, I think!

Hi Mudplug - we are in exactly the same position as you! House been on market since October and still not sold (we are cheapest in the town) and even though some on here say well drop the price, if we do that we won't be able to cover debts and have the airfare/initial start up money.
We also said ok, that's it then. But we also have said SOD IT! We have to validate by October, so yet another loan for the flights, will have to beg my headmistress for a week off, and planning a whistle stop trip to validate.
Then, when we get back, it's a matter of looking at all avenues to sort out the next stage!
Have heard hostels can be very good - there is also the YHA hostels. Most seem to be reviewed on Tripadvisor, so you could start there maybe?
Anyway, best of luck with your dream! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Justcol Aug 31st 2010 12:18 pm

Depends where you are going.
You can get long term rates at some hostels and backpackers but choose carefully.
Most are very good but some are dire.
Also consider motels but they can be more expensive or possibly a short term rental

Mudplug Aug 31st 2010 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by chippy64 (Post 8815791)
Hi Mudplug - we are in exactly the same position as you! House been on market since October and still not sold (we are cheapest in the town) and even though some on here say well drop the price, if we do that we won't be able to cover debts and have the airfare/initial start up money.
We also said ok, that's it then. But we also have said SOD IT! We have to validate by October, so yet another loan for the flights, will have to beg my headmistress for a week off, and planning a whistle stop trip to validate.
Then, when we get back, it's a matter of looking at all avenues to sort out the next stage!
Have heard hostels can be very good - there is also the YHA hostels. Most seem to be reviewed on Tripadvisor, so you could start there maybe?
Anyway, best of luck with your dream! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hi Chippy64

So nice to see we are not the only ones, although sorry for you being in the same situation, it’s a very hard place to be, after all the waiting and worrying about the visas, thought that was stressful enough.
We are in the same situation with the house prices, I know all houses will sell eventually, I have read before some comments saying things like ‘don’t be greedy’ & ‘if you really wanted to sell you would drop the price’ but its sometimes not that simple, there is six of us and we like a lot of people these days haven’t managed to accumulate a huge amount of savings so our house is our money.
Really wish you all the best & hopefully in a year or twos time it will all be in the past & we will all be happy with the choices we have made.
Best wishes

Mudplug Aug 31st 2010 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by colandros (Post 8815852)
Depends where you are going.
You can get long term rates at some hostels and backpackers but choose carefully.
Most are very good but some are dire.
Also consider motels but they can be more expensive or possibly a short term rental

Thankyou Colandros,
Have checked some hostel websites, trouble is they all look reasonable but have found some with more positive comments from previous tenants so will be careful of where we finally decide.
Also have considered hiring a campervan and trying the nomad thing! not sure it would work out any cheaper tho!
Emma

Jan n Neil Aug 31st 2010 10:05 pm

If you can put up with 4 dogs and me you are very welcome to stay here we have loads of room

Neil

Mudplug Aug 31st 2010 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil (Post 8817198)
If you can put up with 4 dogs and me you are very welcome to stay here we have loads of room

Neil

Wow Neil thats the best offer we have had, bless you xx

Wooly_Cow Sep 1st 2010 2:46 am

Where are you thinking of going?

Trying to find short term rentals, motel and hostels during the school holidays here will be trickier but not un-doable especially if you stay away from the Kiwi holiday spots and stick to the main cities.

Holiday houses or baches can be very expensive and a lot are quite basic.

Most hostels have smaller sized rooms and should be able to do a 6 bedroom with shared facilities. I've stayed in a few and found them perfectly acceptable and not at all noisy but it does depend where you are.

luvwelly Sep 1st 2010 2:49 am

Is this a reccie you are doing or a permanent move?

Mudplug Sep 1st 2010 10:03 am

Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow (Post 8817627)
Where are you thinking of going?

Trying to find short term rentals, motel and hostels during the school holidays here will be trickier but not un-doable especially if you stay away from the Kiwi holiday spots and stick to the main cities.

Holiday houses or baches can be very expensive and a lot are quite basic.

Most hostels have smaller sized rooms and should be able to do a 6 bedroom with shared facilities. I've stayed in a few and found them perfectly acceptable and not at all noisy but it does depend where you are.

Thank you some good advice, never done the abroad holiday bit before its all new, we just tend to stay in the same little campsite in dorset every year.
We are planning to stay close to the city (Auckland) so hubby can start getting the feel for place & hopefully making some contacts.

Mudplug Sep 1st 2010 10:08 am

Originally Posted by luvwelly (Post 8817632)
Is this a reccie you are doing or a permanent move?

Hi luvwelly,
Its a fact finding mission + getting our visas stamped allowing alittle more time back in the uk to finally finish our 'money pit house' & sell it, so sort of pre-permanent woohoo!

CAN2NZ Sep 1st 2010 10:13 am

If you are going to fly to Christchurch to validate, I can refer you to a friend who rents furnished homes for short term stays. They are economical compared to motels and offer more space. I also have some friends in Ohoka, north of Christchurch who rent a loft apartment on their property also.

Good luck with your plans.