Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

GOING HOME FIRST TIME IN 4 YEARS

GOING HOME FIRST TIME IN 4 YEARS

Old Apr 7th 2011, 3:35 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default GOING HOME FIRST TIME IN 4 YEARS

I am excited/nervous about my trip back home which I have booked today via Air Singapore, going on the nice new A380 from Singapore to London and back to Singapore so that should be a nice treat, colly wobbles in the tummy, I don't like flying and have had to get some meds from Doc. We leave in May for 3 weeks with a side trip to Mallorca to see the Mother-in-law. But I can't wait to see my old mum who is now 92 and my daughter and family and my brother.

I was looking to fly from Exeter Devon to Majorca but the prices are extortionate, maybe I will have to do the dreaded Easyjet from Bristol to see them but the flight is like 6am so will have to be there by around 4am ugh!!!

Wonder what I will think of blighty after all this time!!!
Old Apr 7th 2011, 3:55 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GOING HOME FIRST TIME IN 4 YEARS

Hopefully you'll really enjoy your trip adn then be happy to come 'home', that's how we always feel!

You'll be all right with the early flight- we're hauling ourselves and the kids out of bed at 2am next week to make our Ozzie flight
Old Apr 7th 2011, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

Why do the say 6 am is a day flight that the middle of the night to me. We flew back from NZ on the Qantas A380 Sidney to Heathrow but we were in Premium Economy which is upstairs so did not see the economy but people we spoke to when we stopped at Singapore said they were fine.

Have a good trip.

June
Old Apr 7th 2011, 8:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Arrived in Hampshire,the end of April last year for an extended England stay.
A truly delightful time of year to arrive. Flowers in bloom,folk out in parks getting the first warm rays...really pleasant.

My OH rather indifferent with regards to the joys of England was won over.

Such variety. Cornwall,Yorkshire,London, Cumbria,Northumberland,enjoyed it all very much.
Never seen so much of the country before. Being away four years(short London visit in 06) at the time saw it all through fresh eyes.
You'll love it. Enjoy and have fun. Three weeks will pass in a flash.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 10:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks people for your posts to this. I have been searching and searching for cheap flights but alas, even the cheap ones now in the UK are expensive by the time all the extra's have been added on!!! Like charging for cases, tickets, seats to be booked etc, a 12 GBP flight on Ryan Air ended up being over 200GBP. Since when did they start all this nonsense in the UK over $800 NZD for a cheap flight to Spain - rip off Britain I think!!

I will however have to pay if I want to go!! Not got there yet and am peed off about the charges!! Such is life lol!!!
Old Apr 7th 2011, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

I think you will find this is funny and probably true as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPyl2tOaKxM

June
Old Apr 8th 2011, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

You might as well make me a couple of pasties before you bugger off in case you don,t come back

Neil

We are there in June will be my first visit back as well
Old Apr 8th 2011, 1:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Margaret Parkinson
I think you will find this is funny and probably true as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPyl2tOaKxM

June

Thanks June what a laugh my thoughts exactly !!!!!
Old Apr 8th 2011, 5:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold

Shirl,
im sure you'l have a great time. It will be interesting to get your thoughts when you come back.. The weather is getting better there now so enjoy..
Old Apr 8th 2011, 5:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wessa
Shirl,
im sure you'l have a great time. It will be interesting to get your thoughts when you come back.. The weather is getting better there now so enjoy..

I will just about to book a week in Majorca with the out laws! That will be the best bit laying in the sun sipping Sangria!
Old Apr 8th 2011, 6:27 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

We flew back last year via Singapore and it is SOOOO much better than flying back via the US. The airport is fab. If you're there for long enough you can do a free bus tour of the town. If not, make sure you visit the butterfly garden and if you've got time go for a swim in the outdoor pool on the roof, it was so good after the long flight, and the kids really appreciated it rather than being stuck in a room in LA like they were the previous time. They also have hotel rooms you can book by the hour if you want a rest as well as rest areas with comfy chairs. We also found the A380 much quieter than the other planes, and the controllers were in the seat in front not the arm rest which made it easier for the kids (and therefore us!).

Enjoy the UK/Mallorca. We appreciated seeing everyone, the choice in the shops etc. Hated the claustrophia, greyness, overcrowding, concrete, graffitti all over the park and the train fares into London were 4 times the price of here which was a shock to our bank account! So overall enjoyed it, but was pleased to come home again. Hopefully you'll feel the same.
Old Apr 8th 2011, 7:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MOSO
We flew back last year via Singapore and it is SOOOO much better than flying back via the US. The airport is fab. If you're there for long enough you can do a free bus tour of the town. If not, make sure you visit the butterfly garden and if you've got time go for a swim in the outdoor pool on the roof, it was so good after the long flight, and the kids really appreciated it rather than being stuck in a room in LA like they were the previous time. They also have hotel rooms you can book by the hour if you want a rest as well as rest areas with comfy chairs. We also found the A380 much quieter than the other planes, and the controllers were in the seat in front not the arm rest which made it easier for the kids (and therefore us!).

Enjoy the UK/Mallorca. We appreciated seeing everyone, the choice in the shops etc. Hated the claustrophia, greyness, overcrowding, concrete, graffitti all over the park and the train fares into London were 4 times the price of here which was a shock to our bank account! So overall enjoyed it, but was pleased to come home again. Hopefully you'll feel the same.
We have booked the Transit hotel in Singapore with an en-suite so we can have a little sleep and shower etc before the next leg of our journey as we have 6 hours to wait so hopefully it will be worth it just to lie out for a few hours, OH has bad knees so will be glad of the lie down! I really hope I do think of NZ as home when I get back. Will let you all know in May!
Old Apr 8th 2011, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

Si19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud of

You can't go wrong flying via Singapore, if we didn't have so much luggage we would have stopped again, the people and the country are just wonderful. As for returning to England, make a list of what you have missed and make sure to tick it off. Whenever I land in NZ I always have a food list (priorities in life of course) which family and friends happily oblige, for me stuff like going out for proper pumpkin, kumara, greenlip mussels by the tub and proper kiwi fush n chups

Leaving the UK, I know I am going to miss my fabulous lingerie shop, M&S, monsoon and next and whilst I know they deliver its just not the same so I am sure that will be the start of a list for any UK holidays...

Happy planning and have a wonderful trip
Old Apr 8th 2011, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Si19761
You can't go wrong flying via Singapore, if we didn't have so much luggage we would have stopped again, the people and the country are just wonderful. As for returning to England, make a list of what you have missed and make sure to tick it off. Whenever I land in NZ I always have a food list (priorities in life of course) which family and friends happily oblige, for me stuff like going out for proper pumpkin, kumara, greenlip mussels by the tub and proper kiwi fush n chups

Leaving the UK, I know I am going to miss my fabulous lingerie shop, M&S, monsoon and next and whilst I know they deliver its just not the same so I am sure that will be the start of a list for any UK holidays...

Happy planning and have a wonderful trip
Thanks, yes I will be doing some shopping in Exeter High Street! My main priority however is my dear old mum who is 92 and who misses me terribly. I will take her to lunch and out for day trips and we used to very often go to those wonderful Gardens Centres for a good browse around and lunch. A trip to her favourite seaside town and some proper English Fish and Chips with lots of vinegar strait out of the paper! I have just booked flights to Majorca with the so called rip off cheap flight merchants $600 lighter in the wallet! So a week sitting by the mediteranean sipping Sangria at my favourite beach bar will be top of my list and OH mum who is elderly and not well either. Still better to go back now while they are still with us than have to dash off for funerals I suppose. It will be hard to leave as it is so costly to go back and we doubt we will see either of them in the flesh again so lots of good memories to make while we still can. Isn't that quite sad really, when you know you will probably never see them again, they have both been quite ill recently and this is the reason for us going back now. I am sure the in-laws will enjoy sitting by the sea with us in Mallorca and talking over old times.
Old Apr 10th 2011, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

Denise01292 is just really niceDenise01292 is just really niceDenise01292 is just really niceDenise01292 is just really niceDenise01292 is just really niceDenise01292 is just really niceDenise01292 is just really niceDenise01292 is just really niceDenise01292 is just really nice

Hope you have a wonderful trip, and come back with loads of great memories. Enjoy, safe trip,
Denise

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.