British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   is it a goer??job offered (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/goer-job-offered-506985/)

gina and danny Jan 17th 2008 6:39 pm

is it a goer??job offered

hi all, we (me, oh and 1 lad) are unsure what to do.

my oh has been offered a job and the wage being offered is $631.00 thats after tax per 40 hr week in the wellington area, ( meaning he would take nearly 50% drop in wage)
we think it would be impossible to survive on this obviously i would work to but even then our income would be around $800.00 a week.

please give your honest opinion as to what you think our quality of life would be like on this income? we are not big spenders just normal budgeting family with the odd holiday here and there??

we were so excited at the job offer but the wage has been a real blow, how do you people already there manage.

thanks for listening:)

happynz Jan 17th 2008 6:47 pm

Re: is it a goer??job offered

Originally Posted by gina and danny (Post 5801753)

my oh has been offered a job and the wage being offered is $631.00 thats after tax per 40 hr week in the wellington area, ( meaning he would take nearly 50% drop in wage)
we think it would be impossible to survive on this obviously i would work to but even then our income would be around $800.00 a week.

please give your honest opinion as to what you think our quality of life would be like on this income? we are not big spenders just normal budgeting family with the odd holiday here and there??

we were so excited at the job offer but the wage has been a real blow, how do you people already there manage.

If you work a full-time job you should be able to bring home NZ$370/week at minimum.

gina and danny Jan 17th 2008 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 5801782)
If you work a full-time job you should be able to bring home NZ$370/week at minimum.

but if i work full time i will be spending less time with my son hes 8 and so would have to have a child minder which would take the extra money i make from working full time if you get what i mean, and in school holidays it would take all my wage i suspect, i may be wrong but thats what i thought

happynz Jan 17th 2008 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by gina and danny (Post 5801800)
but if i work full time i will be spending less time with my son hes 8 and so would have to have a child minder which would take the extra money i make from working full time if you get what i mean, and in school holidays it would take all my wage i suspect, i may be wrong but thats what i thought

It's a push, I agree. Invest in Lotto tickets. That's what I do. ;)

gina and danny Jan 17th 2008 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 5801846)
It's a push, I agree. Invest in Lotto tickets. That's what I do. ;)

it really is a shame as i just want to get out of uk( its a crap hole) but thinking logically and not day dreaming we really would be living hand to mouth on that kind of income me thinks.

krestsaf Jan 17th 2008 7:17 pm

but that equates to around a grand a month.

if i were in your position i would have left by now.

there are always options for other work when there.

are there any rules to say it has to be a job for life

or that you cant work from home, or evenings when you OH is home to care for your son?

sorry to sound harsh, but just feel that your in a better position than a lot on here with having a job offer, these are scarce it seems

happynz Jan 17th 2008 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by gina and danny (Post 5801871)
it really is a shame as i just want to get out of uk( its a crap hole) but thinking logically and not day dreaming we really would be living hand to mouth on that kind of income me thinks.

It could be done. However, you have to think of it as a starting point and believe that it can get better.

Kippers Jan 17th 2008 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by gina and danny (Post 5801753)

If you can put up with lack of amenities, it's definitely cheaper to live in a smaller town.
Depends what line of work your OH is in whether he would find work there.

Kip

sunshine n jim Jan 17th 2008 7:28 pm

hi gina one of our worries is that we wouldnt be able to afford to live in nz but you have to sum up what you have here and would have out there eg morgage, lifestyle, qualtity of life then the freedom that new zealand appears to offer. it looks so inviting but you need to go out there with the intention that you are going to make it work although there are times when it feels that everythings going against you. its your dissision only you can decide. it will all turn out in the end. good luck natalie

gina and danny Jan 17th 2008 7:43 pm

thanks for everyones comments i am still unsure but i think the oh is more unsure than me so we seem to be dealing with it in a typically english way and not talk about it:) i swear he has the patience of a saint i say are we going for it then and his reply we'll see

men:curse:aarrrgghh

rockape Jan 17th 2008 8:24 pm

Good on ya Danny,you will enjoy your work and like I said the lads will help you out. So no worries there, and if they get you the same place that I stayed in the owners are great people.

So when do you plan to go???

Regards

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbup::thumbup:

simonmarkellis Jan 17th 2008 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by gina and danny (Post 5801954)
thanks for everyones comments i am still unsure but i think the oh is more unsure than me so we seem to be dealing with it in a typically english way and not talk about it:) i swear he has the patience of a saint i say are we going for it then and his reply we'll see

men:curse:aarrrgghh

Get along to one of the expos... http://www.expo-newzealand.com/ we went to a couple of them before we uprooted and moved out here. You can gain a wealth of knowledge from people who live here and find out about different areas to live. It's well worth the time and money and the immigration talk's are worth there weight in gold for the information they give you.

BEVS Jan 17th 2008 8:35 pm

Can I just ask if you have ascertained whether or not you can gain Permanent Residency as a locksmith?

It seems a bit hit and miss if you come here on a work permit with that sort of wage , find you cannot manage and also cannot gain PR. With PR , you could claim Child Allowance etc which would help a little.

Also, you should try to haggle over this wage. It's the NZ way to do this. See if you can get a couple of $$ an hour more out of the prospective employer. Bring it up to $22 an hour if you can.

ps:- We started on $22 ph but then we don't have kids.

gina and danny Jan 18th 2008 7:19 am

slept on it and still non wiser! what a rollercoaster eh!

Batty Jan 18th 2008 9:56 am

hi. You haven't said if you'll have a mortgage or not. If you don't that'd be very doable.