Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

god this makes me want to leave right now

god this makes me want to leave right now

Old Feb 1st 2008, 2:54 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: god this makes me want to leave right now

DLM please be careful when using statistics and Wikipedia. It quotes the 2001 census, not the 2006. You've also chosen a data set that gives no information about British people - just European.

From the 2006 census you can see that:

The total population of NZ comprises 67.6% Europeans
The total population of NS comprises 67.5% Europeans

North shore has more Asians than non-Maori and Maori New Zealanders put together.

But what is interesting is that on the NS only 40.8% were born overseas, out of which the most common birthplace was England. This must mean that the majority of people in NS were born there and that English people are not in the majority.

Next to English the most common language spoken is Korean.

2.7% of North Shore Maori were born overseas, compared to only 1.6% for New Zealand as a whole.

Interesting hey.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by Elizabeth I
hahahaha...
Would you care to re-phrase that?
Old Feb 1st 2008, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Nerine
Would you care to re-phrase that?

With pleasure, my dear.

heeheehehehe
Old Feb 1st 2008, 3:09 am

Do you have problems with interpreting stats or just in a particularly happy mood today?
Old Feb 1st 2008, 3:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Nerine
Do you have problems with interpreting stats or just in a particularly happy mood today?

Moi happeee. I dunno, NS certainly feels like Little Britain to me. 'Specially at that English pub in Browns Bay. LOL. Walkers crisps packets on the tables, pints of beer spilt on the carpet to give it that distinctive stale beer pub aroma. English accents everywhere complaining about work.

It's awesome.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

Archangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really nice

I'm not being racist or anything like that, but when I got here I couldn't believe the amount of Asians there are in Auckland!! I was told by a Kiwi friend that they generally like to stick to this side of the island.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 7:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dlmckay
According to Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Shore_City
And NSCC

http://www.northshorecity.govt.nz/ab...statistics.htm

So I think my point still stands about the North Shore being Little Britain...

You make it sound like there are millions of Brits here living in a British Ghetto, whereas I wouldn't say there is any one nationality that is in dominant numbers.

Maybe you misinterpret the numbers there - 67% European, certainly does not equate to them being 67% British. New Zealand European was the only broadbrush choice for all 'Non-maori' or Pakeha Kiwis. Europe, by it's very nature also embraces the many, many other nationalities, such as Italians, Germans, French, Greeks and the former Yugoslavs; Serbians, Croatians etc of which there are equally large populations on the North Shore.

There was a big hue and cry that the 2001 Census did not have an option to choose Kiwi as a nationality and this was amended in the 2006 survey. http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/...ectid=10363510

There used to be a sign outside Rangitoto College showing the number of languages spoken within the school. Not having been there for a while, I may be wrong - I seem to remember it being something like 53.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 8:47 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dlmckay
So I think my point still stands about the North Shore being Little Britain...
Very true.

So where is the equivalent to the North Shore of the 1980's?
Old Feb 1st 2008, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
You make it sound like there are millions of Brits here living in a British Ghetto,

LOL, yeah, a ghetto with the best beaches in Auckland.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 9:11 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

QUOTE=Elizabeth I;5868350]LOL, yeah, a ghetto with the best beaches in Auckland. [/QUOTE]

No way. West coast beaches. Although not (as) safe for toddlers/young children to paddle.

I prefer bigger beaches with less people. Fussy I know!

Now, the Coromandel (beyond Akl) has great beaches. Why didn't this become the North Shore. Couldn't some better roads or a fast train into the CBD make this a good option? If it can be done for Warkworth, surely it could be done for the Coromandel? And then I'd be there!
Old Feb 1st 2008, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
QUOTE=Elizabeth I;5868350]LOL, yeah, a ghetto with the best beaches in Auckland.

No way. West coast beaches. Although not (as) safe for toddlers/young children to paddle.

I prefer bigger beaches with less people. Fussy I know!

[QUOTE]

Ah yes, I get your drift. I personally think the North Shore beaches are better for swimming because the West coast beaches are pretty rugged, untamed, and wild! Good for surfers but swimming is a bit rough. Although I've found a couple of secluded bays in Titirangi which are gorgeous for swimming and still pretty deserted. Yep, the West coast is rather a hidden gem so I guess the less people the better.....

I'm not really a fan of Piha though....
Old Feb 1st 2008, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi

Now, the Coromandel (beyond Akl) has great beaches. Why didn't this become the North Shore. Couldn't some better roads or a fast train into the CBD make this a good option? If it can be done for Warkworth, surely it could be done for the Coromandel? And then I'd be there!

Very excellent point!
Old Feb 1st 2008, 10:13 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Very excellent point!
its just too far away.......Warkworth is about 60km, Thames to CBD is over 110km - unless you built a bridge via Ponui..........or put in a fast train.....
on the NS point - there are loads of places that are rented out there and very many people have several properties there - hence the census may not be a reliable source of data.........
Looking at the Browns Bay area there is much there to suggest "Little Britain" - one of the reasons we live further up the coast.........
Bet that has some forumites flummoxed........
Old Feb 1st 2008, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lardyl
its just too far away.......Warkworth is about 60km, Thames to CBD is over 110km - unless you built a bridge via Ponui..........or put in a fast train.....
on the NS point - there are loads of places that are rented out there and very many people have several properties there - hence the census may not be a reliable source of data.........
Looking at the Browns Bay area there is much there to suggest "Little Britain" - one of the reasons we live further up the coast.........
Bet that has some forumites flummoxed........

Where do you live lardyl?
Old Feb 1st 2008, 10:27 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Where do you live lardyl?
mmm.....by the Blue Blue Sea in the Land of Rodney......
just down the coast from Darby&Joan-by-the-sea.......
in sight of the Nautilus........

enough of a clue?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.