Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

god this makes me want to leave right now

god this makes me want to leave right now

Old Jan 31st 2008, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default I'm a racist.............

I'm a racist............I love having a jog from my house to the end of the street., usually against Nice Boy.........who nearly always wins.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: god this makes me want to leave right now

Originally Posted by dlmckay
Can I just say NORTH SHORE to anyone that's listening?
What about it
Old Jan 31st 2008, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Can I just say NORTH SHORE to anyone that's listening?

I used to hold this view of "why don't those immigrants settle into the communities, learn to speak english and do english things" until I moved to NZ and discovered that:
* my friends are nearly all ex-pats
* I frequent forum boards encouraging and helping other ex-pats to move here
* I claim benefits from NZ to support my children
* I am willing to travel far and pay through the nose for gravy because the local stuff isn't good enough
* I'm trying to get my in-laws here.

Fair comment?
Yes it is as as well to be aware of one's status in any country. However I really don't think you are as hard for the average Kiwi to accept as their neighbour, as someone with a different first language, culture or religion, would potentially be, especially as in most cases they only have to go back a few generations to find fellow immigrants from the same part of the world ie. UK/Europe within their family tree.

Last edited by luvwelly; Feb 1st 2008 at 12:26 am.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 11:01 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Yes it as as well to be aware of one's status in any country. However I really don't think you are as hard for the average Kiwi to accept as their neighbour, as someone with a different first language, culture or religion, would potentially be, especially as in most cases they only have to go back a few generations to find fellow immigrants from the same part of the world ie. UK/Europe within their family tree.
too true - most of the Kiwis I relate most easily to and the vast majority of the people that I would call friends have:
done a decent length of OE in UK
moved over from UK as child
have close family in UK
and this makes relating to them and for them to me far easier. The people I don't get on with tend to have the view "all immigrants are a drain" and very often have never lived or worked outside NZ.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 11:05 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm a racist.............

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
I'm a racist............I love having a jog from my house to the end of the street., usually against Nice Boy.........who nearly always wins.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 1:05 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: I'm a racist.............

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
had to read it twice,but got it in the end....jacky
Old Feb 1st 2008, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light
Default Is there some media conspiracy or what?

Because everytime I hear something like this it's almost as if the media are wanting to drive people away from Britain.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 1:24 am
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jude J
What about it
In exactly the same way that Leicester has majority Asians, the North Shore has got to be the place to find Brits. It is nearly always the first place that people are recommended to live in when Auckland is mooted as the city of choice.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 1:26 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

The North Shore has to be the place to find Koreans, South Africans and even Kiwis.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 1:34 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizard
Thats bollocks. Asians, Chinese etc do this but most Brits tend to intergrate into other cultures aswell as keeping their own.

Ahem - Aotea?
Old Feb 1st 2008, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Nerine
The North Shore has to be the place to find Koreans, South Africans and even Kiwis.
That was going to be my point too.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 2:15 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Back to the OP though.....can't see what you're getting so upset about.
The same thing in New Zealand would be called a Marae and they'd probably get funding to build it.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 2:16 am
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

According to Wikipedia
The racial makeup of the city was 81.80% European, 12.70% Asian, 6.70% Māori, 3.30% Pacific Islander, and 1.60% from other ethnic groups.

More recently, the North Shore has become home to many immigrants from South Africa (post-Apartheid) and South Korea.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Shore_City
And NSCC
Ethnicity

There are a mix of ethnicities, cultures and languages in North Shore City
The population is mostly European (67.5 per cent as at June 30, 2006)
Increasing number of other ethnicities including Korean, South African and Chinese live in the city.
A further six per cent of people identified as being Maori (Maori is their sole ethnic group or Maori is one of several ethnic groups)
Our Maori population ranks 15th in size out of the 73 districts in New Zealand
http://www.northshorecity.govt.nz/ab...statistics.htm

So I think my point still stands about the North Shore being Little Britain...
Old Feb 1st 2008, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light

So I think my point still stands about the North Shore being Little Britain...

hahahaha...
Old Feb 1st 2008, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Back to the OP though.....can't see what you're getting so upset about.
The same thing in New Zealand would be called a Marae and they'd probably get funding to build it.
Right, and at one time the whole of NZ belonged to Maori. So the reverse happened to the article in the OP. Most of the land was taken off them.

Last edited by Elizabeth I; Feb 1st 2008 at 2:37 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.