Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Global warming and all that jazz - do you give a toss?

Global warming and all that jazz - do you give a toss?

Old Dec 18th 2007, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Global warming and all that jazz - do you give a toss?

Originally Posted by Nerine
Interesting choice of words, when the good ship NZ sinks where will you go then?
Well here's a site to help you choose...

http://worldcoolers.org/co2map/
Old Dec 19th 2007, 12:12 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Go back and read that ruling, Gore's film didn't prove that CO2 emissions caused global warming.

I think your ship is already full of holes anyway: peak oil (love it or loathe it) being one of the largest cannonballs to land on its deck and NZ depends too much on imports (mostly from Asia) to ever be self-sufficient. Its remoteness could be its downfall.

How much is a litre of petrol today?
Old Dec 19th 2007, 12:23 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Its remoteness could be its downfall.
...or its strength.

How much is a litre of petrol today?
At the BP around the corner its NZ$1.70/litre. A couple of weeks ago it was NZ$1.73/litre.
Old Dec 19th 2007, 1:04 am

$1.20 here this morning, with a 4c supermarket voucher.

To grossly misquote Jon Donne " No island is an island" the bell tolls for kiwis too.
Old Dec 19th 2007, 1:11 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

$1.20 here this morning, with a 4c supermarket voucher.
That's nice.

To grossly misquote Jon Donne " No island is an island" the bell tolls for kiwis too.
uhm...
Old Dec 19th 2007, 2:35 am
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point

In a word, YES.

I suppose global warming, it that is what you want to call it, will be debated until the earth goes boom.

But it's not about whether the climate is changing, it's just about if you think that the excess of crap that we produce is acceptable.

I'll give you a quick example. On telly at the moment is an advert for prunes. Not exciting so far eh! Not content with putting lots of prunes into one bag these prunes are individually wrapped in their own little plastic bags. This for no apparent reason than to produce as much rubbish as possible.
Or the one about the woman who washes her dishes before putting them in a dish washer (why not just wash them and miss the dish washer out?)

It's not about changing your life, or not doing things you enjoy, it is about just doing simple things that if we all did them would make a massive difference.

Most of the things that can be done will save money for industry not increase their costs. Like all business at the moment no one want to spend a bit now to make long term savings.

I wouldn't want to force the world to live in mud huts or poo into a composting bog. All you really have to do when the nice woman in countdown is trying to put your stuff into a million plastic bags, is buy re useable ones.

Average 4 bags a week x 52 weeks 208 bags a year.
Wasn't hard was it?

Or you could just say what difference will it make, no one else does why should i?
Just think how annoyed does that make you when people have that attitude when you are trying to get something done at work?

Final point, the idea of blaming india and china et al for the current state of crap about the world is a bit like blaming the last bloke to go to the loo at gladstonbury for all the crap in the long drop toilet.

Now I have to go and boil some lentils.
Old Dec 19th 2007, 4:41 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent post DB, karma for that.

Originally Posted by Dustybin
<snip>...a bit like blaming the last bloke to go to the loo at gladstonbury for all the crap in the long drop toilet.

Originally Posted by Dustybin
Now I have to go and boil some lentils.
Ooh I love lentils! Save some for me!
Old Dec 19th 2007, 5:08 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

How come there appears to be a side issue of how expensive NZ is compared to Australia? Here's a couple of links worth reading if were going down this road

http://www.finfacts.com/irelandbusin...10009626.shtml

http://www.finfacts.com/costofliving.htm

It states "Wellington is the least costly city in this region in 111th place with a score of 71.8."... Lets here it for Wellington
Old Dec 19th 2007, 5:30 am

I was using the relative price of petrol to illustrate:
1)how much a small country is affected by the price of its imported goods. 2)the difference new zealanders are paying in the form of carbon and other taxes.
(Is carbon tax the best way to reduce carbon emissions anyway?)

My overall point is that NZ is not separate from the issues the rest of the world faces, despite how much people want to flee/run away they inevitably take the problems with them just by moving there. (unless, of course, they're hermits, walk everywhere and live in caves )
Old Dec 19th 2007, 5:44 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

My overall point is that NZ is not separate from the issues the rest of the world faces, despite how much people want to flee/run away they inevitably take the problems with them just by moving there.
I don't recall anyone saying that's why we're all here. Source please?
Old Dec 19th 2007, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

Professional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to all

1 of the reasons I moved to NZ was because it does take care of its environment. Whether or not recycling, reducing emissions etc can stop global warming is not the whole point. You only have to walk a beach in NZ - and compare that to any beach in the UK, which would you prefer? I want to enjoy the outdoors - breathe fresh air, swim in clean water & see wildlife.

Im glad NZ is setting a good example for other countries to follow.

and it doesnt all cost extra money - those strawberries in Winter must cost you a lot more!
Old Dec 19th 2007, 10:43 am

How many small townships in NZ still pump untreated sewage into the sea? at least in Britain you knew which beaches deserved a blue flag.
Old Dec 19th 2007, 10:49 am

How many small townships in NZ still pump untreated sewage into the sea? at least in Britain you knew which beaches deserved a blue flag.
Not that many as most small towns can't afford flash systems like municipal sewer drains. I would think most will be on septic tanks or cesspits. Remember, this is New Zealand where there isn't much in the way of infrastructure.
Old Dec 19th 2007, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Nope, can't get excited about all this green hype going on right now. In fact, it's having the opposite affect on me, and I'm beginning to resent being told what to do by all the greenies and dogoodies. Especially, when India and China are running their factories twenty four seven and have other priorities, I think it's naive thinking what little old NZ does will make any difference.

I also read today that China is now giving its citizens two weeks holiday after working ten years. Yes, other countries don't have the luxury of our somewhat misplaced priorities.
Old Dec 19th 2007, 11:20 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Mmmmm........this issue seems to polarise opinion almost as much as "where's better NZ or Oz?"......................or is that "wot's that global warming thingie"........... ....... ahh that's what's the thread's about......
I'm firmly for the "precautionary principle" in the same was as I am anti-nuclear power, anti-GM foods/organisms and against any political/religious grouping that values their principles above human life. This may be considered odd as I am a professional scientist and have strong religious convictions.
Anyway the old argument of Blaise Pascal (I think) about the existence of God could be used to support positive action to combat environmental damage/resource depletion, ie what do we lose if we change our behaviour/beliefs in light of this other possibility? If the answer is very little or nothing then why not change behaviour and get the benefit of a cleaner and safer planet, if, perish the thought, the green loonies (or religious nutters) are in fact right!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.