Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Giving blood in NZ & rejected

Giving blood in NZ & rejected

Old Jan 18th 2011, 6:39 am
BE Enthusiast

bolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to behold
Default Giving blood in NZ & rejected

My son decided to do some good today and went to register to give blood. he was disappointed, as part of the screening process wont allow donors from UK who have lived there in late 80's mid 90's in case of CJD .

Apparently it's because it can lay dormant in the blood for up to 20 years .

Just thought I'd share for info
Old Jan 19th 2011, 1:58 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Giving blood in NZ & rejected

Originally Posted by bolton1
My son decided to do some good today and went to register to give blood. he was disappointed, as part of the screening process wont allow donors from UK who have lived there in late 80's mid 90's in case of CJD .

Yep, they've got the same rule over in the USA too. I feel like I should be walking around with "unclean" written on my forehead
Old Jan 19th 2011, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

Theyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to all

Same in Australia as well and my OH is "O" negative which is really wanted, but coming from the UK we cant donate
Old Jan 19th 2011, 10:49 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Yeh ! We tried to do the same a while back but got the same .

Husband is "A" neg
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 9:51 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

I always used to back in the UK and quite disappointed I can't here. Maybe we could set up a British only donation service-there's so many of us here
Old Jan 24th 2011, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

good idea perhaps we should refuse to accept NZ bllod transfusions and only english blood!!!! lol!
In my last job my boss insisted that every member of staff have a flu jab (I work in Finance in a DHB with no patient contact) I refused saying I would not have NZ germs pumped into me if NZ would not accept my blood !
Old Jan 24th 2011, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

burbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this point

I would be more than happy to give an "armful" for a timtam & cuppa.

Sadly, claiming to have been a vegetarian doesn't swing it either.

A scientist friend of mine told me that there are more deaths in NZ than births.
Surely they could take a chance on us now?
Old Jan 24th 2011, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

Debbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud of

My husband looked this up on nz blood donor site a few months ago and told me I couldn't donate my blood despite being a blood donor here in UK. They also don't want blood from Irish or French donors either.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 2:24 am
Just Joined

sarah3 is just really nicesarah3 is just really nicesarah3 is just really nicesarah3 is just really nicesarah3 is just really nicesarah3 is just really nicesarah3 is just really nicesarah3 is just really nice

I was going to go along to our next work one....but won't bother now. I wonder what they do about kiwis that went over on holiday during that 20 year period?!?! Well this has given me a good laugh on a Friday.....
Old Jan 28th 2011, 2:32 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vikkichic
I would be more than happy to give an "armful" for a timtam & cuppa.

Sadly, claiming to have been a vegetarian doesn't swing it either.

A scientist friend of mine told me that there are more deaths in NZ than births.

Surely they could take a chance on us now?
Are there?!!!
Old Jan 28th 2011, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

that's pretty much common sense isn't it? surprising how come you aren't familair with? I knew that when I was a teenager here and found out first time by talking to a professor (Pom). He's been here more than half of his life but never allowed to give blood.

I've never done that either. not that I lived in UK ...coz I am extremely under weight so I am not allowed to. If I give blood then I probably would faint.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

bolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by crap coffee
that's pretty much common sense isn't it? surprising how come you aren't familair with? I knew that when I was a teenager here and found out first time by talking to a professor (Pom). He's been here more than half of his life but never allowed to give blood.

Honestly it really never occurred to me before - we thought of the obvious viral infections - hepatitis, HIV etc but CJD no - although I have been called a mad cow a few times so ya never know
Old Jan 30th 2011, 8:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarah3
I was going to go along to our next work one....but won't bother now. I wonder what they do about kiwis that went over on holiday during that 20 year period?!?! Well this has given me a good laugh on a Friday.....
They can't give blood either.

Personally, I think that it's ridiculous & that the threat from new variant-CJD is minimal. I'd be quite happy to accept a blood transfusion from anyone who had been in the UK at the time of BSE.

But then I'm a bit of a mad cow too
Old Jan 30th 2011, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

I was stopped from giving blood in the UK some years ago as I lived in Nigeria as a child. Apparently there is no test for Malaria in the blood () or something, and the blood can be really bad for people with lowered immune systems.
I felt quite put out but also hoped that my previous years of blood donoring didn't kill anyone
Old Jan 31st 2011, 10:36 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

although I have been called a mad cow a few times so ya never know
It's an exclusive club I feel. .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.