Giving Blood

Old Aug 13th 2019, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

Soupnswings is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Giving Blood

I have just seen that there is a lack of donors in NZ in the news, so I thought that I would google my nearest centre only to read that if you lived in the UK, France or the Republic of Ireland between 1st January 1980 and 31st December 1996 for a total period of 6 months or more (or received a blood transfusion in these countries at any time after 1/1/80) you will be permanently deferred from donating blood in NZ due to the risk of Variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD)
Learn something new everyday. Fair do’s or whatever I mean it’s better to edge on the side of caution I guess but I’m a bit sad I can’t help out, I always did in England and I’m O- too.
That is all x
Old Aug 13th 2019, 2:21 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Giving Blood

It's the same story here in Italy. They don't want our blood or our organs. I was even told by a head honcho in the hospital that if one of my kids ever needs something like a kidney, they'd look elsewhere before giving them one of mine.

Old Aug 13th 2019, 2:57 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
It's the same story here in Italy. They don't want our blood or our organs. I was even told by a head honcho in the hospital that if one of my kids ever needs something like a kidney, they'd look elsewhere before giving them one of mine.
Just the same in Canada too.
Old Aug 13th 2019, 9:32 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Soupnswings
I have just seen that there is a lack of donors in NZ in the news, so I thought that I would google my nearest centre only to read that if you lived in the UK, France or the Republic of Ireland between 1st January 1980 and 31st December 1996 for a total period of 6 months or more (or received a blood transfusion in these countries at any time after 1/1/80) you will be permanently deferred from donating blood in NZ due to the risk of Variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD)
Learn something new everyday. Fair do’s or whatever I mean it’s better to edge on the side of caution I guess but I’m a bit sad I can’t help out, I always did in England and I’m O- too.
That is all x
Aye. That is the way of it.

Husband is an A neg too but no can do.
Old Aug 13th 2019, 10:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Same in the US.
Old Aug 13th 2019, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond repute

It's the same in Australia as well, where I'm originally from. I was in the Uk in 1993 and 1994 so I'm out, found out years ago.

Last edited by Mishclark; Aug 13th 2019 at 11:20 pm.
Old Aug 14th 2019, 2:30 am
Just Joined

Soupnswings is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Wow that’s crackers!
Old Aug 14th 2019, 4:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe they knbow something that is being concealed from us ?
Old Aug 14th 2019, 5:29 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Maybe they knbow something that is being concealed from us ?
The reason for not accepting blood donations from people who lived in the UK for six months or more between 1980 - 1996 is far from concealed, it's been in the public domain for decades, it's provided by blood donor services and is also available with the most cursory Google.

https://www.donateblood.com.au/faq/vcjd
This is related to the fatal variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD, the human form of the bovine condition sometimes known as ‘mad cow disease’):
  • Although the number of cases of vCJD in UK is declining, we still don’t know the full extent of the exposure during this period.
  • There is currently no blood test available for vCJD suitable for screening blood donors.
  • vCJD can incubate in someone for decades before they start to show symptoms.
  • This brain disease is incurable and usually fatal.
Old Aug 14th 2019, 6:14 am
cym
Forum Regular

cym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
The reason for not accepting blood donations from people who lived in the UK for six months or more between 1980 - 1996 is far from concealed, it's been in the public domain for decades, it's provided by blood donor services and is also available with the most cursory Google.

https://www.donateblood.com.au/faq/vcjd
This is related to the fatal variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD, the human form of the bovine condition sometimes known as ‘mad cow disease’):
  • Although the number of cases of vCJD in UK is declining, we still don’t know the full extent of the exposure during this period.
  • There is currently no blood test available for vCJD suitable for screening blood donors.
  • vCJD can incubate in someone for decades before they start to show symptoms.
  • This brain disease is incurable and usually fatal.
This is interesting as I used to donate blood back home twice if not three times a year ever since I was 18 and I asked back then why can't you screen for vCJD. I was told that there wasn't a screen test as such - but there was a indicator that was used on ALL donated blood that if it 'indicated' (?) meant that the blood was destroyed. However the amount they had to take to use the indicator was quite a bit.
I can't remember the figures now but I do remember the nurse telling me a lot of blood collected was lost on these tests.
That might be the reason why no-one else does it; A because they don't have to and B because they haven't enough to spare.
I'm sure the blood service in the UK doesn't want to give vCJD to anyone either so I can't see them collecting blood and hoping for the best!
Old Aug 14th 2019, 1:44 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cym
This is interesting as I used to donate blood back home twice if not three times a year ever since I was 18 and I asked back then why can't you screen for vCJD. I was told that there wasn't a screen test as such - but there was a indicator that was used on ALL donated blood that if it 'indicated' (?) meant that the blood was destroyed. However the amount they had to take to use the indicator was quite a bit.
I can't remember the figures now but I do remember the nurse telling me a lot of blood collected was lost on these tests.
That might be the reason why no-one else does it; A because they don't have to and B because they haven't enough to spare.
I'm sure the blood service in the UK doesn't want to give vCJD to anyone either so I can't see them collecting blood and hoping for the best!
My Brit husband is the same, can donate in the UK but can't donate in Australia.

The UK does all it can to screen donors but it acknowledges that it isn't possible to guarantee that red cells, platelet and clinical plasma, and peripheral tissue (bone, skin, tendon, heart valves and cells), all of which are primarily donated by UK donors, are free from the risk of vCJD transmission. It's simply a matter of supply and demand, if people living in the UK weren't allowed to donate then that would lead to a critical shortage of blood/blood products.
This position paper explains in detail file:///C:/Users/Beth/Downloads/Posi...2015%20(3).pdf
Old Aug 14th 2019, 1:59 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Same in the US.
In addition in the US, if you have had cancer you cannot give blood or donate organs.
Old Aug 14th 2019, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

Reylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to all

I've just read this article which I thought may be of interest as I had always wondered how they got round not be able to test for vCJD in the UK but still accept donations.

The UK imports plasma to treat people born after 1 January 1996 as part of measures that were brought in to prevent the spread of CJD - a disease caused by consuming meat infected with BSE or "mad cow disease".
It was considered that people born after that time would not have been exposed to the disease through the food supply chain and so extra precautions should be taken to prevent them being exposed through blood products.
Those born before that time who require plasma will be treated with UK donations.
Now, blood components are only imported from countries which have equivalent safety regulations and a lower risk of its donor population carrying CJD than the UK population.
The NHS Blood and Transplant Service in England says: "Plasma from Austria and Poland is collected from voluntary non-remunerated donors who are subject to the donor selection criteria in EU law. These are the same guidelines as NHSBT."
Old Aug 16th 2019, 6:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Soupnswings

Wow that’s crackers!
So might you be one day - that's what they are worried about!
Old Aug 16th 2019, 8:42 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

There was a documentary on BBC2 about a month ago called, "The Great British Beef Scandal."
It showed original footage of mad cows but also of people who contracted the human form after politicians had spent years telling the British population how safe beef was because a human form didn't and could not exist.
If you think you can stomach it (no pun intended) it was both very interesting and shocking to watch now as an adult.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.