Giving Blood

Old Feb 3rd 2009, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Giving Blood

There I was checking the firms intranet rather than do some work when I happened across a call to give blood. I thought go then give it a go, why not? Then i read the criteria...

Donor Criteria List

Are aged between 16 - 60 (up to 71 if you are a regular donor)
Weigh a minimum of 50kg
Have waited 84 days since your last blood donation and have not exceeded four donations in the last 12 months
Have waited six months after tattooing or body piercing
Are completely well after having a cough, cold or flu
Have waited a least one week after finishing a course of antibiotics and are feeling fit and well
Have waited one week following dental treatment
As an expectant, or new, mother, have waited until nine months after the birth of your baby and/or three months after weaning
Have not spent more than a total of six months in the United Kingdom, France or Ireland between 1 January 1980 and 31 December 1996

It's the bottom one I fall short on being a British Expat in my 30's! It also hit me with so many Kiwi's at this time who did an OE probably did it in Europe and thus disqualify themselves as well. Me thinks they'll have a shortage of blood for some time in NZ...

I also wondered why when they took my blood sample for immigration purposes they didn't test it then for Mad Cow!
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

bro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Giving Blood

I went out to NZ Blood recently and asked the question about Mad Cow and there is no way of testing for it apparently.

I gave blood when I went back to the UK and they were on it like a thirsty Vampire.

They are unsure if this is ever going to change.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 1:50 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
Have not spent more than a total of six months in the United Kingdom, France or Ireland between 1 January 1980 and 31 December 1996
here in the USA they won't take it from basically anyone who spent time anywhere in western europe in that period
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 1:39 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I give blood here in the UK when I can. 2-3 times a year. My mum who lives in NZ can't because she came to the UK for a year.

What I don't understand about the last item on the list is.... in theory you can get mad cow disease from eating one burger, so you only need to stop in transit at LHR to risk contracting the disease. Why six months? Makes no logical sense.

Did they really take a sample of blood? What for? I have dual nationality so don't have to worry about that side of things fortunately.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
Yeah I give blood here in the UK when I can. 2-3 times a year. My mum who lives in NZ can't because she came to the UK for a year.

What I don't understand about the last item on the list is.... in theory you can get mad cow disease from eating one burger, so you only need to stop in transit at LHR to risk contracting the disease. Why six months? Makes no logical sense.

Did they really take a sample of blood? What for? I have dual nationality so don't have to worry about that side of things fortunately.
For me the blood sample was part of my immigration medicals...
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
There I was checking the firms intranet rather than do some work when I happened across a call to give blood. I thought go then give it a go, why not? Then i read the criteria...

Donor Criteria List

Are aged between 16 - 60 (up to 71 if you are a regular donor)
Weigh a minimum of 50kg
Have waited 84 days since your last blood donation and have not exceeded four donations in the last 12 months
Have waited six months after tattooing or body piercing
Are completely well after having a cough, cold or flu
Have waited a least one week after finishing a course of antibiotics and are feeling fit and well
Have waited one week following dental treatment
As an expectant, or new, mother, have waited until nine months after the birth of your baby and/or three months after weaning

It's the bottom one I fall short on being a British Expat in my 30's! It also hit me with so many Kiwi's at this time who did an OE probably did it in Europe and thus disqualify themselves as well. Me thinks they'll have a shortage of blood for some time in NZ...

I also wondered why when they took my blood sample for immigration purposes they didn't test it then for Mad Cow!
I too tried to give blood and comming from Scotland I was told that due to living in the uk you cannot give blood due to "mad cow"
I even went as far as contacting the head office of the NZ blood bank as my group is one of the rarer ones only to be told a straight no and we have no intentions of lifting this blanket ban.

They can test for this as they have been testing in the UK for years, personally if I was receiving blood I would be just as concerned about the things they have not yet discovered !!!

But it is a mighty poor show by NZ to limit the amout of blood donors due to their nationality:curse:
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 10:53 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

I know it's a real shame I donated blood every 12 weeks in the uk. It was my do a good thing, thing!
I also have a rare type.
Before moving here I contacted the blood people and got the same reply - a lovely lady told me that there are no plant to change it.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

bro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud of

Well lets hope none of us need blood anytime soon although there are a few rare blood types on the site I too am in that rare group so I know where to come if I need blood.