Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Given Up Smoking!!??

Given Up Smoking!!??

Old Mar 3rd 2007, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Given Up Smoking!!??

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
For anyone still putting off giving up - DO IT TODAY!!!!

I'm halfway through Week 4 and it has been much better than I thought. I feel better. I look better (hard to improve on perfection mind), I can smell pleasant scents that I'd previously missed, I'm saving money etc, etc!!

I've had the times when I've looked at Hubby puffing away opposite me and I've had a couple of glass of vino when I've been tempted. But patches info tell you NOT to smoke when wearing one and I'm soooo scared of the consequences if I did, that I've talked myself out of it!

I'm not smug ex-smoker, but I'm on Phase 2 of the patches now and I'm optomistic to be patches free by the time we fly out, April 5th!
WELL DONE! Four weeks yay! Glad you feel so much better We gave up 2 years ago in a couple of days and still get the odd craving every now and then ... but then I look at my kids and the cravings gone Long may it continue and go get yourself a treat!

Michelle xx
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 1:03 pm
must be a mid-life crisis

cathynclive is just really nicecathynclive is just really nicecathynclive is just really nicecathynclive is just really nicecathynclive is just really nicecathynclive is just really nicecathynclive is just really nicecathynclive is just really nicecathynclive is just really nicecathynclive is just really nice

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl
WELL DONE! Four weeks yay! Glad you feel so much better We gave up 2 years ago in a couple of days and still get the odd craving every now and then ... but then I look at my kids and the cravings gone Long may it continue and go get yourself a treat!

Michelle xx
I've just been reading this thread and excellent going!!!

I think I was born to have a fag in my hand. I quit for over 18 months with the help of smoking cessasion(? cant spell) classes. The thing that kept me off the wicked weed was the carbon monoxide tester. When I was smoking the levels in my body were up in the red zone, after I had quit they were right down to 1 or 2. I even had a zero reading one week.

Unfortunately, last May I lost my dad suddenly and the first thing I did was to buy a packet of fags, so now I have to go through the whole giving up process again. I will do it, and it'll be sooner rather than later as I don't want to be a smoker in NZ.

All the very best to you. I found breaking the habit was far harder than breaking the addiction. Once you've cracked that I think you've done it.

Keep going
Old Mar 4th 2007, 9:22 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cathynclive
I've just been reading this thread and excellent going!!!

I think I was born to have a fag in my hand. I quit for over 18 months with the help of smoking cessasion(? cant spell) classes. The thing that kept me off the wicked weed was the carbon monoxide tester. When I was smoking the levels in my body were up in the red zone, after I had quit they were right down to 1 or 2. I even had a zero reading one week.

Unfortunately, last May I lost my dad suddenly and the first thing I did was to buy a packet of fags, so now I have to go through the whole giving up process again. I will do it, and it'll be sooner rather than later as I don't want to be a smoker in NZ.

All the very best to you. I found breaking the habit was far harder than breaking the addiction. Once you've cracked that I think you've done it.

Keep going
Thank you for your words of encouragement.

Believe me, if I can get through this dare I say easily, most should be able to.

I was a professional smoker from 14 - 21

Gave up when preggers 21 - 25 (wasn't pregnant for the whole of that period obviously!!)

Professional again from 25 - 36

And like I said/gloated, this is ok this time. I'm on the second strength patches now, slightly lower dose of nicotine - no real difference noted.

I was the same - I wanted to be "smoke free for NZ"!!!! (Corny, rhyming, motivational guru line methinks!!!) I hope by the time I board my flight I'll be off the patches too! Then I'll reward myself in Duty Free at Singapore!!

Good Luck to all giving up.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 9:28 pm

cathynclive is just really nicecathynclive is just really nicecathynclive is just really nicecathynclive is just really nicecathynclive is just really nicecathynclive is just really nicecathynclive is just really nicecathynclive is just really nicecathynclive is just really nicecathynclive is just really nice

Good for you

Don't buy too much though, cos i'll be right behind you...or maybe in front of you, when are you planning on going? We're hoping for the end of May.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 9:30 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cathynclive
Good for you

Don't buy too much though, cos i'll be right behind you...or maybe in front of you, when are you planning on going? We're hoping for the end of May.

Don't buy too much!!!!! Fairy Lady will clear the bl*8dy building!!!!
Old Mar 4th 2007, 9:31 pm

Lets hope I get there first then.....
Old Mar 4th 2007, 11:32 pm

Mandie is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your words of encouragement.

Believe me, if I can get through this dare I say easily, most should be able to.

I was a professional smoker from 14 - 21

Gave up when preggers 21 - 25 (wasn't pregnant for the whole of that period obviously!!)

Professional again from 25 - 36

And like I said/gloated, this is ok this time. I'm on the second strength patches now, slightly lower dose of nicotine - no real difference noted.

I was the same - I wanted to be "smoke free for NZ"!!!! (Corny, rhyming, motivational guru line methinks!!!) I hope by the time I board my flight I'll be off the patches too! Then I'll reward myself in Duty Free at Singapore!!

Good Luck to all giving up.
Well done for making it this far...you've done bloody brill

like you i was a professional smoker from the age of 13 - 19 (smoked between 20-30 a day) then gave up while on holiday 20 years ago and now am a real anti-smoker, and it's true what they say ex smokers are the worst!!!

Keep up the good work
take care
Old Mar 9th 2007, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

sarahwilkins84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Help Me!!!! It's only Day One and hubby's merrily puffing away in front of me - which frankly is cruel and evil!

Not doing too bad thus far. But it's Hubster's birthday today which means mandatory bottle of Bolly tonite. And we all know what that does to a girl's will power?!

Do I forego the Bolly? Maybe I should just go to bed really early?! Arghhhhh!!!!
Hey everyone, I just want to tell you about how I managed to finally quit smoking after years of searching. I spent months on the internet looking for a quit smoking program that actually worked, then I came accross this:

http://tinyurl.com/2dd28z

Check this site out, it was a godsend. If it wasn't for these guys I would still be smoking now. Definately give it a try, it's definately worth it!

Sarah
Old Mar 10th 2007, 7:01 pm

Hi Sarah,

I've just read your reply and i'm gonna give it a go

We've just had our chest x-rays and blood tests this week and I was totally paranoid about the x-ray because i'm still smoking.

We have to go to Brighton for our medicals etc. and they don't do them all at the same hospital. They've told us that they can't give us the results of these tests until we have the medicals (still 2 weeks to go)

Are you emigrating or are you already in NZ?

Cathy