Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Given Up Smoking!!??

Given Up Smoking!!??

Old Feb 6th 2007, 1:39 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Given Up Smoking!!??

My now-deceased FIL didn't come to our wedding reception in England because he wouldn't have been able to smoke on the flight. Charming, eh?

You can do it, Caroline! I did it just after I'd moved to the US, 11 years ago. I'd bought a new pack and hubby and I went out for a drink at our local. I lit the first one up, and having prepared myself mentally to stop, stubbed it out after one puff, said "I don't want to do this anymore", and left the cig and the rest of the pack there. Haven't smoked since. It's all psychological. But even if you fall off the wagon before you move, at least you're getting in practice for the flights! More than your hubby is doing.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 1:46 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Maz
My now-deceased FIL didn't come to our wedding reception in England because he wouldn't have been able to smoke on the flight. Charming, eh?nasty bugger

You can do it, Caroline! I did it just after I'd moved to the US, 11 years ago. I'd bought a new pack and hubby and I went out for a drink at our local. I lit the first one up, and having prepared myself mentally to stop, stubbed it out after one puff, said "I don't want to do this anymore", and left the cig and the rest of the pack there. Haven't smoked since. It's all psychological. But even if you fall off the wagon before you move, at least you're getting in practice for the flights! More than your hubby is doing.
You're right, Maz - it is psychological. When I'm at my mum's I never smoke fags and don't miss it after a couple of hours. I don't miss it on flights either - it's simple, you can't smoke on them so you don't. If I stay at a friend's house I don't think about having a fag when I get up in the morning but at home my morning routine is to get up, put the kettle on, look at emails and smoke a fag. If the kettle broke down one day I'd probably forget the fag because it's all tied in with the routine.

Last edited by mazi; Feb 6th 2007 at 1:47 pm. Reason: wrong particle in a phrasal verb
Old Feb 6th 2007, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Mazi
I just love your reason for editing post

Hubby and I took the TESOL cert last yr and I found myself looking at/listening to English all the time. As I haven't taken a job in this area it's slipping away.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

tipsy10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Am Loolah,

This is my way to stop smoking, it worked for me and most people I have told. Hope it is good for you too!! BELOW .>>>>>>>>>>

1. Lets create a feeling of joy, euphoria and giddiness about what not smoking will be like. Think of all the money you will save and what you'll have to spend that money on. Think of all the health benefits of feeling fresh, clean and pure. Being able to run and exercise freely. Think of not being chained to the nasty smell, the yellow fingers, the habit that makes you go outside to smoke in some situations. Think of being free from the weed and your health getting better and better. Think of not ever having yellow teeth and being proud to be a non smoker and being able to be honest with your doctor and others when you talk. Now go into a room by yourself and jump up and down thinking of the joy and happiness and how good your future life will be once you stop smoking and have all these fantastic benefits, and best of all, these things are all free and going to happen shortly and everyone is pleased about it!!!

2. Acknowledge the feeling of wanting a ciggie, keep thinking about what the feeling is and try to actually feel the sensation or emotion. This is the urge and you'll feel it more if you have a drink. Keep dwelling on it but don't light up. Keep doing this until you can isolate the feeling in your mind. Try to imagine that feeling as something else physical (I think of it as an orange turning in my brain) inside your head. Do this everytime you want a cigarette. wait as long as you can and really concentrate on the urge and feeling and isolate it in your head.

3. Now you are simply going to change that feeling, that urge inside your mind. you are going to swap it for the nice happy feelings of not smoking and all those beautiful bright clean pure nice feeling you got on part one. Just swap them round every time you want a nasty fag. Make sure there are no cigarettes in the house. Keep thinking of the happy feeling everytime you want a cig and the urge will disappear in only a week or so at max!!

Regards,

Tispy
Old Feb 6th 2007, 4:04 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

BTW !! Nearly forgot to say

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MR LOOLAH

Love Kev & Sarah x
Old Feb 6th 2007, 5:06 pm
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Happy birthday Chap.

I'd pretty much stopped from New Year.
Still went out with the same blokes at tea break,just didn't have a fag.n Did, however, have fags in the pub at the weekend, then left them alone for the rest of the week.
Then had the intention of stopping completely on my 40th last month, but must confess.......the not selling of my house gives me an excuse to have the five a day at work I'm currently rationing myself to.
It's not stopped, but I know it'll be easier to stop from 5 to 20.
So the current intention, sanctioned by Haze, is that when we leave UK, I leave the fags behind. Managed to not smoke at all for four weeks in a camper on our recce, and the non smoking atmosphere in NZ pubs will help.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 5:44 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
Happy birthday Chap.

I'd pretty much stopped from New Year.
Still went out with the same blokes at tea break,just didn't have a fag.n Did, however, have fags in the pub at the weekend, then left them alone for the rest of the week.
Then had the intention of stopping completely on my 40th last month, but must confess.......the not selling of my house gives me an excuse to have the five a day at work I'm currently rationing myself to.
It's not stopped, but I know it'll be easier to stop from 5 to 20.
So the current intention, sanctioned by Haze, is that when we leave UK, I leave the fags behind. Managed to not smoke at all for four weeks in a camper on our recce, and the non smoking atmosphere in NZ pubs will help.
Thank you all for your comments. More to do with going in 2 months and rather than leave it until the flight, I thought I'd try and do it now and feel a little healthier when I get there!

Plus have had really bad symptoms like the return of the dreaded pleurisy I had a couple of years ago - and do NOT want that again!

12 HOURS NOW AND FEELING FINE!!!!!!! Am I any healthier yet?

(Haven't smelt or seen any alcohol yet mind?! )
Old Feb 6th 2007, 8:22 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by helinuk
Mazi

Hubby and I took the TESOL cert last yr and I found myself looking at/listening to English all the time. As I haven't taken a job in this area it's slipping away.
Bit of a grammarian, me (I allow myself to use the vernacular at times though lest I should be seen as a w***er all the time as opposed to part of the time!). Sometimes it's very hard to bite my tongue or stop my fingers wobbling over the keyboard, I have to say!

I did take the job in the area (and I do proofreading), hence the anal retention.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 8:25 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by helinuk
Mazi

Wayward apostrophes - ARRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 6th 2007, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mazi
Wayward apostrophes - ARRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
huh ????????? I'm fick then

Last edited by UKNZAUS; Feb 6th 2007 at 8:36 pm. Reason: D'uh
Old Feb 6th 2007, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Thank you all for your comments. More to do with going in 2 months and rather than leave it until the flight, I thought I'd try and do it now and feel a little healthier when I get there!

Plus have had really bad symptoms like the return of the dreaded pleurisy I had a couple of years ago - and do NOT want that again!

I'm a master at giving up! Done it loads of times. I now only ever smoke in the evenings, in the garden, once baby is in bed, and only one or two a night. Last night didn't have any, might have a few tonight if I get on the phone to my sister in UK.
What I loved when I have been a week or two without smoking, is suddenly thinking 'that's it! I've bloody well done it!' and I get such a buzz. My downfall though has ALWAYS been alcohol. If I want to give up for good I have to avoid drinking for ages.
I really liked what Tipsy just posted, and will try it out myself.

Keep going Loolah, you will probably find you are feeling healthier after a few days. I felt terrible at first, then wonderful, then like pulling my hair out ( and smoking it) then wonderful again.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 9:10 pm
Banned

andy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah

Fairy - you are doing SO WELL - DO NOT give into the cigarettes.

Andy gave up New Years day and hasnt had one since - I am so proud of him as I never thought he would be able to do it on his 1st attempt.

He was a VERY heavy smoker - so keep on going hun you are doing really well - you can do it

P.s - He also did not like the thought of the plane journey over to NZ for our trip - he would not of lasted that long without a fag!!!
Old Feb 6th 2007, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mazi
Bit of a grammarian, me (I allow myself to use the vernacular at times though lest I should be seen as a w***er all the time as opposed to part of the time!). Sometimes it's very hard to bite my tongue or stop my fingers wobbling over the keyboard, I have to say!

I did take the job in the area (and I do proofreading), hence the anal retention.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 2:47 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Caroline, if I can stop, anybody can. I can't remember how many times I have stopped in the past but this is it this time.
I gave up in between Xmas and New Year a year ago but come April/May, I was having the odd one with a beer, when stressed, when angry....when anything really. Then I realised I was going to be right back where I started all over again. So I went to see a hypnotherapist and I can honestly say I haven't had one or even wanted one since then. And if I can get through the stress of emigrating without a fag then I can get through anything. I am a registered smoking cessation advisor in the UK but haven't done any comparative training here yet - but it is on the cards for the near future. I found the Allen Carr 'easy way to stop' book really helpful initially. Your local library may well have several copies. Quite inspirational when the going is tough at the start of quitting.
Be strong!
Karen B
Old Feb 7th 2007, 7:33 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by karonious
Caroline, if I can stop, anybody can. I can't remember how many times I have stopped in the past but this is it this time.
I gave up in between Xmas and New Year a year ago but come April/May, I was having the odd one with a beer, when stressed, when angry....when anything really. Then I realised I was going to be right back where I started all over again. So I went to see a hypnotherapist and I can honestly say I haven't had one or even wanted one since then. And if I can get through the stress of emigrating without a fag then I can get through anything. I am a registered smoking cessation advisor in the UK but haven't done any comparative training here yet - but it is on the cards for the near future. I found the Allen Carr 'easy way to stop' book really helpful initially. Your local library may well have several copies. Quite inspirational when the going is tough at the start of quitting.
Be strong!
Karen B

All good advice and positive vibes, thank you all. So here I go into Day 2 in the Loolah Lungs!! (I am using Nicotine patches - is this cheating? I thought if I didn't I may well attack the children and hubby?!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.