Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The 'give way' rule on the roads

The 'give way' rule on the roads

Old Nov 11th 2006, 4:18 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default The 'give way' rule on the roads

I believe mazi mentioned this in Caitlin's itinerary thread.

What is it? It sounds awful...
Old Nov 11th 2006, 4:32 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The 'give way' rule on the roads

Originally Posted by Maz

When you are turning left you must wait for any traffic coming towards you that wants to turn right (into the road you're turning left into) to turn first.

Bizarre.
Old Nov 11th 2006, 4:42 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mazi
When you are turning left you must wait for any traffic coming towards you that wants to turn right (into the road you're turning left into) to turn first.

Bizarre.
That's daft... but thanks for that info!
Old Nov 11th 2006, 4:49 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Maz
That's daft... but thanks for that info!
It's completely insane never mind daft! Even Kiwis think it's silly. The Road Transport people must have been very very bored one year to come up with that. Apparently there was mayhem when it was first introduced and the government is now thinking of reverting to the 'proper' way of doing things.

It took me nigh on a year to get used to it to the point where I did it without thinking and God Damn now I still sometimes try to do it when I'm in Blighty.

Bloomin' NZ! (Sorry couldn't resist that, you know me!)
Old Nov 11th 2006, 4:52 pm
Maz

It's completely insane never mind daft! Even Kiwis think it's silly. The Road Transport people must have been very very bored one year to come up with that. Apparently there was mayhem when it was first introduced and the government is now thinking of reverting to the 'proper' way of doing things.

It took me nigh on a year to get used to it to the point where I did it without thinking and God Damn now I still sometimes try to do it when I'm in Blighty.

Bloomin' NZ! (Sorry couldn't resist that, you know me!)
Heh heh I know you couldn't. In the US they got cyclists going against traffic some years ago. Then they sort of changed their minds. It's pretty suicidal to try to cycle on the roads here as it is, but going against traffic? Insane.
Old Nov 11th 2006, 4:56 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Maz
Heh heh I know you couldn't. In the US they got cyclists going against traffic some years ago. Then they sort of changed their minds. It's pretty suicidal to try to cycle on the roads here as it is, but going against traffic? Insane.
WHAT?????!!!!!!!!! :scared:
Old Nov 11th 2006, 4:57 pm
Maz

WHAT?????!!!!!!!!! :scared:
'Tis true! It's extremely rare to see cyclists anyway, let alone actually on the roads. They use the pavements instead. Don't blame them, either. I've not cycled on the roads one single time in the 11 years I've been here.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz

It is a very dangerous rule because not everyone abides by it. I find the safest way at any junction is to just wait and see what the others do. Kiwi's have a habit of pulling out in front of you and rarely use indicators. Most also spend alot of time driving while using mobile phones - and oblivious to othe traffic.

Also beware to park on the same side of the road that you are facing.
Habits don't go quickly, I've been here nearly 5 months and still flash cars when trying to wash the windscreen, and although I have an automatic now, I still find my left hand stuck to the gear stick.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 7:09 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

I got used to it fairly quickly, but Boopy is totally right - it is dangerous - some people do it and some dont. Also if you live in a place with a lot of new comers then it's all over the place
Old Nov 12th 2006, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
I got used to it fairly quickly, but Boopy is totally right - it is dangerous - some people do it and some dont. Also if you live in a place with a lot of new comers then it's all over the place
I currently live in SE London and for my excitement ride a motorbike through Peckham and across London. I have to say white van man, taxi drivers and mad pedestrians / drivers can be pretty bad. I personally think that NZ must be better We supposedly have rules that make sense in the UK but these are forgotten in most of London. Happy driving in NZ looking froward to coming over and experiencing it first hand
Old Nov 12th 2006, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

In most Continental countries there is "priorite a droit" which is not quite as mad as the NZ turn left rule, but almost. You must give way to traffic coming from the right , except when the car is stopped, or when there is a little sign with a yellow diamond displayed, or if it is a tram
Old Nov 12th 2006, 8:10 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by nero
I currently live in SE London and for my excitement ride a motorbike through Peckham and across London. I have to say white van man, taxi drivers and mad pedestrians / drivers can be pretty bad. I personally think that NZ must be better We supposedly have rules that make sense in the UK but these are forgotten in most of London. Happy driving in NZ looking froward to coming over and experiencing it first hand
Sorry you are wrong - I lived and drove in London for 10 years (and SE at that) and I can confirm the driving in NZ is far far worse.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 9:05 pm
Maz

Sorry you are wrong - I lived and drove in London for 10 years (and SE at that) and I can confirm the driving in NZ is far far worse.
Uh oh! LOL Well thankfully we're both very good drivers. If they're speed demons, too, that won't bother us. Hubby has driven open-wheel cars on proper racetracks (private racing/driving sessions) a good number of times. I've toyed with the idea of taking one of those advanced driving courses, they sound like fun.

Another question!
Are most cars automatic or manual transmission over there? Are there many people-movers (minivans) or SUVs / Land Rover type vehicles? I swear, I saw FIVE Hummers out on the road today. They were all around the mall. Good to see Army-type off-road vehicles being used for what they were designed for.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 9:06 pm
Maz

And that was more than one question, sorry!
Old Nov 12th 2006, 9:08 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Yeh but Mazi, you could be in a Thai prison and you'd still think NZ was worse.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.