Gisborne anyone??

Old Mar 28th 2010, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

DEANO79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gisborne anyone??

Hello all...does anyone here live in Gisborne or have any experience of this place? We had our telephone interview last Friday so things are hotting up now. I have up and down NZ several times with my research and am still undecided. Nonetheless, Gisborne has just caught my eye several obvious reasons. Can anyone increase my somewhat limited knowledge of this place e.g., safe, family community, schooling, is it hot (only kidding)...you know, the usual stuff required before making such a leap? Any advice greatly received.
Old Mar 28th 2010, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gisborne anyone??

Originally Posted by DEANO79
Hello all...does anyone here live in Gisborne or have any experience of this place? We had our telephone interview last Friday so things are hotting up now. I have up and down NZ several times with my research and am still undecided. Nonetheless, Gisborne has just caught my eye several obvious reasons. Can anyone increase my somewhat limited knowledge of this place e.g., safe, family community, schooling, is it hot (only kidding)...you know, the usual stuff required before making such a leap? Any advice greatly received.
The Gisborne area is apparently very very beautiful. One famous kiwi thinks its the best area in NZ beauty wise. Alas he went on to say it has some very big problems and is considered quite a low decile area apparently. There are lots of people on benefit up there and apparently they live quite a dubious lifestyle. Its very very isolated. If that is a good thing for you only you will know. The road to it is a very slow and curvy one. Personally its too out of the way from anywhere else for me. Don't think we have any posters who hail from there who can give you a 'I live her perspective'.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, can't tell you much other than my husband was born there, but grew up elsewhere!

We've visited family in Gisborne a couple of times, and I would agree with above that it's an okay place with a nice beach (but that's not unusual in NZ) but it is very isolated. It's only a place you'd go to if you have a reason to go there! Travelling to Gisborne is not easy (through a slow winding gorge) so it's nice when you get there, but it is very isolated.

I've only visited a couple of times, so never lived in Gisborne but hopefully someone will come along to tell you what it's like to live there. I don't think there are lots of people there other than holiday makers/long-term inhabitants so do your research before you agree to living there.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 10:47 am
Just Joined

DEANO79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for these replies folks. I have to say, I had my suspicions about this place and did note the decile rating but I just wanted to see if there was another side to it. He ho, more research then. Cheers all....
Old Mar 29th 2010, 3:45 pm
kamburu pat

kamburu pat will become famous soon enoughkamburu pat will become famous soon enough

Deano,
I Love Gisborne! I have only visited there a few times. I`d describe it as a small town with lovely beaches, shops, hospital etc are all there. There are some lovely restaurants and the climate is good. My son lived in Wellington when I went out but I have some good friends in Gisborne and found it was several degrees warmer than the Capital.
Pat.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kamburu pat
Deano,
I Love Gisborne! I have only visited there a few times. I`d describe it as a small town with lovely beaches, shops, hospital etc are all there. There are some lovely restaurants and the climate is good. My son lived in Wellington when I went out but I have some good friends in Gisborne and found it was several degrees warmer than the Capital.
Pat.
I bet it is wonderful to visit..but to live??? Palmy is the other way round. A crap place to visit but a good place to live. Gisborne sounds a bit like NZ for many..great place for a holiday..but to live????? Mind you many people hate living in Palmy.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 9:36 pm
kamburu pat

kamburu pat will become famous soon enoughkamburu pat will become famous soon enough

Hi Genesis,
I haven`t had the pleasure of going to PN yet, I just took to Gisborne, and yes, I was there on holiday. I do have friends there now, they have Residency, bought a house there in 2004 and seem to enjoy their life. I feel quite envious when they send emails telling me they have been to Wainui beach! New Zealand is a lovely country.
Pat.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kamburu pat
Hi Genesis,
I haven`t had the pleasure of going to PN yet, I just took to Gisborne, and yes, I was there on holiday. I do have friends there now, they have Residency, bought a house there in 2004 and seem to enjoy their life. I feel quite envious when they send emails telling me they have been to Wainui beach! New Zealand is a lovely country.
Pat.
Don't go outta your way for a visit..its not on the top 10 list of things to do in NZ...nor the top 1000! But it is a good place to live. I can see why people think its dull and boring but hey I like it here..so do my kids. We live with a rural outlook and have a home that I could only dream of in the UK. Are you coming over? Re Gisborne I am sure there are many a person who are happy there..I was just imparting what I was told on the radio by someone well informed.
Old Mar 31st 2010, 6:20 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

It's quite pretty in places. There's a high Maori population and a reasonably high low economic factor. But it's a close community and if you are socialbe people you will probably be made to feel at home very quickly.
Old Mar 31st 2010, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

It's the only place on East Cape that you can get a decent coffee - and I liked it to visit.