British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Gigs in NZ (warning - rock orientated LOL) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/gigs-nz-warning-rock-orientated-lol-770962/)

Jan n Neil Sep 8th 2012 8:22 pm

Gigs in NZ (warning - rock orientated LOL)

In case anyone thinks that NZ doesn't have any great gigs, I thought I would list what we have already seen here - fuelled by the fact that I am sooooo excited to get Linkin Park/Stone Sour tickets near the front row of the seated bit :rofl: in Feb :thumbsup:

So far we have seen (not always in Christchurch)

Metallica (twice)
Seether - supported by two excellent and well known NZ bands both of whom get regular radio time)
Disturbed
System of a Down
Pearl Jam

and we are going to see
Simple Minds (his choice :rofl:)
Linkin Park

Bands don't come here as much as they might stay in the Northern Hemisphere, but when they do, they are hugely appreciated and all the above probably rate as in the top ten gigs I have ever been (and I used to go to LOADS in the UK).

Disturbed in particular were the first band to return to the CBR Arena here in ChCH after the big earthquake, and the reception they got was awesome.

There's loads of other stuff in different genres too, for example I just found out that one of the greatest jazz drummers around at the moment, Steve Smith, is coming to NZ this year.

Jan

Ps if we fly to Auckland to see gigs we use our Airpoints to get free flights - and it's a good excuse to go somewhere else for a day or so :thumbsup:

love30stm Sep 8th 2012 11:05 pm

Re: Gigs in NZ (warning - rock orientated LOL)

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil (Post 10270678)
In case anyone thinks that NZ doesn't have any great gigs, I thought I would list what we have already seen here - fuelled by the fact that I am sooooo excited to get Linkin Park/Stone Sour tickets near the front row of the seated bit :rofl: in Feb :thumbsup:

So far we have seen (not always in Christchurch)

Metallica (twice)
Seether - supported by two excellent and well known NZ bands both of whom get regular radio time)
Disturbed
System of a Down
Pearl Jam

and we are going to see
Simple Minds (his choice :rofl:)
Linkin Park

Bands don't come here as much as they might stay in the Northern Hemisphere, but when they do, they are hugely appreciated and all the above probably rate as in the top ten gigs I have ever been (and I used to go to LOADS in the UK).

Disturbed in particular were the first band to return to the CBR Arena here in ChCH after the big earthquake, and the reception they got was awesome.

There's loads of other stuff in different genres too, for example I just found out that one of the greatest jazz drummers around at the moment, Steve Smith, is coming to NZ this year.

Jan

Ps if we fly to Auckland to see gigs we use our Airpoints to get free flights - and it's a good excuse to go somewhere else for a day or so :thumbsup:

Agree to some of what your saying ive Seen Muse at the big day out in Auckland never saw them in the uk, but the big day out is no longer in NZ :(

we dont get any great festivals like the UK and i used to just drive about half hour to see a band in the uk not a monster expense to get to Auckland, i would have gone to see Linkin Park if they were nearer! im not liking the new stuff so wont bother :p

The Strokes have yet to come here, 30 seconds to mars have only been here once :(

lots of bands miss out new zealand according to my eldest daughter, but oh well such is life living so far away from everything.

so still looking at Oz in the future lots more gigs and life i hope :lol:

hazeandsteve Sep 9th 2012 6:25 am

And you missed the three biggies we've seen here.
The Who, Foos. and Stereophonics!:thumbsup:

Justcol Sep 9th 2012 6:27 am

Thats great if your into stadium rock and 80's music (simple minds)

Unfortunately those of us who like smaller bands or indie music still have sit and wait

hazeandsteve Sep 9th 2012 7:10 am

Surely a genuinely independent band couldn't afford to travel here.
Stereophonics played the Powerstation by the way.

Justcol Sep 9th 2012 9:23 am

that's the problem, its to far off the beaten track for indie bands.
Have never been a steriophonics fan but I did get the Foo's gig which was awesome

love30stm Sep 9th 2012 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Justcol (Post 10271077)
Thats great if your into stadium rock and 80's music (simple minds)

Unfortunately those of us who like smaller bands or indie music still have sit and wait

Yep agree too far for them to afford to come or not worth the while.

Like I said we don't have Any good festivals only Laneway I guess

Ninja757 Sep 9th 2012 11:22 pm

Well i`ve been here just over a year and I have seen or have tickets for some BIG bands and LITTLE bands:thumbsup:: and lots of different genres (thanks to my wife and 15 year old son!!!)

Foo Fighters
Sisters of Mercy
The Damned
Bad Manners
The Specials
The Business
Cairo Knife Fight
The Cranberries
Incubus
Florence and the machine
The Kaiser Chiefs
Coldplay
Simple Minds
Linkin Park
Nickelback
Def leppard and Heart
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Ronan Keating

If you are into small, indie, punk, ska bands then try the Kings Arms Tavern, Newton, Auckland. Last time I was there we had a drink with Buster Bloodvessel at the bar!!!

barnsleymat Sep 10th 2012 12:00 am

I'm off to see old school British punk band the SubHumans next week, my mates band is supporting them. They're popping into Dunedin as part of their Aus/NZ tour.

RobClubley Sep 10th 2012 1:05 am

Evanescence were awesome - but I had to go to Auckland

We've seen
David Gray
Bon Jovi twice
AC/DC
Elton John

Had to go to Sydney to see Robbie Williams :)

Tom1983 Sep 10th 2012 1:05 am

I saw King Cannons at the CPIT in August and they were fantastic. They were heavily promoted on Hauraki and The Rock so I decided to go and watch them. They reminded me of The Jam, Bruce Springsteen and The Clash all in one. Great band and their album Brightest Light is well worth anyones $20 if you like that sort of rock music

I also saw Slash at Christchurch arena which relieved all those nightmares I had of seeing Axel Rose and friends back in 2005. I hope with him touring Christchurch, it will bring other bands down here. I would have liked to have seen Linkin Park despite seeing them at Download a few years back and would have taken in Nickleback for my birthday.

hazeandsteve Sep 10th 2012 1:13 am

....and Stiff Little Fingers and The Specials have both been too.

Justcol Sep 10th 2012 7:33 am

I know there have been plenty of small bands here but would I say hi to buster bloodvessel in a pub in the uk.....no
I wont go to see a band just because they are british, if I didnt like em then I still dont.
as i said, lots of old bands but not a lot of current stuff. i dont mind so much, i'll wait for one direction

love30stm Sep 10th 2012 7:55 am

No comment ;p

pricklykina Sep 11th 2012 4:24 am

In the last couple of years I have seen the Pixies, Pavement, Alabama 3 plus kiwi bands. Elbow were here earlier this year. The powerstation or the King's Arse here in Auckland are good for smaller bands