Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Giardiasis and campylobacter

Giardiasis and campylobacter

Old Aug 22nd 2007, 12:14 am
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Giardiasis and campylobacter

Dreadful. Had both - not at the same time! Thought I was going to die! Never known anything like it. Probably had more stomach upsets over here than I did in Mexico!

If you're not sure what those things are - for goddssake, read up! Look after yourselves!
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 1:09 am
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Giardiasis and campylobacter

I've had campylobacter too and would agree with the dying feeling - not sure if I wanted to live anymore...

Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Can't stress it enough...
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 1:24 am
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dlmckay
I've had campylobacter too and would agree with the dying feeling - not sure if I wanted to live anymore...

Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Can't stress it enough...

Don't eat dodgy meat AND for goodness sake people, don't drink any water from drinking taps, especially when camping. I just brushed my teeth with bottle water in the end. A pack of chlorine tablets are excellent for camping and dodgy motels. Or just drink beer of course!
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

can you not drink water from taps here

we have been ,thought it was ok
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 2:15 am
Banned

Colin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really nice

Ah nothing like a good dose of Giardia! Quite ironic the amount of time I spent on Tramping Tracks in and around New Zealand drinking out of mountain streams and I got giardia once.
Still more that man or woman defecates in our lovely wilderness leaving rubbish strewn where ever he passes then this is going to appen more often.

Nothing annoys me more than the person who comes into our beautiful national parks and can be bothered to take back out food scraps and rubbish or throws a piece of litter out the car window.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 2:17 am
Banned

Colin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really nice

Originally Posted by garryhg

Wonder how many who live on the Northshore realise where there water originates think you might look at things differantly

And littlejoe you said you get your water from a Water Tank? Hope you check your filters regulary and clean out your tank
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 2:18 am
Sweeeeet!

Originally Posted by garryhg

I mean like the taps on campsites, well, and some tapwater in dodgy motels. I found it a real problem when I was touring the SI. I think you'd be fine though in inner city Auckland/North Shore. I think I might purchase one of those water filters for the home, just for drinking water, to err on the side of caution.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 2:21 am
Sweeeeet!

Originally Posted by Colin in the middle
Ah nothing like a good dose of Giardia! Quite ironic the amount of time I spent on Tramping Tracks in and around New Zealand drinking out of mountain streams and I got giardia once.
Still more that man or woman defecates in our lovely wilderness leaving rubbish strewn where ever he passes then this is going to appen more often.

Nothing annoys me more than the person who comes into our beautiful national parks and can be bothered to take back out food scraps and rubbish or throws a piece of litter out the car window.

OR animals that have been infected. Its not just humans!
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

cheers thanks for that

i was just going away to phone doctors there...:
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 2:24 am
Sweeeeet!

Originally Posted by Colin in the middle
Wonder how many who live on the Northshore realise where there water originates think you might look at things differantly

And littlejoe you said you get your water from a Water Tank? Hope you check your filters regulary and clean out your tank
NOPE. We just moved in a couple of months ago and being as the agency didn't even clean out the sewage tank (when a plumber told us it needed it - we pushed them to sort it out and it hadn't been done for 6 years!). I doubt very much the water tank is clean. Which is another contributing reason for us taking them to court. But that's a WHOLE different story. Thanks for your concern though
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 5:47 am
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

The biggest culprit for harbouring the campylobactor bug is...................................believe it or not RICE.....the type you see sitting around in the 'all you can eat' buffets and not kept at the correct temperature.
Unless I know that rice has been just cooked when I have a meal out I avoid it like the plague.

Loz x
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 5:58 am
Sweeeeet!

Originally Posted by loz
The biggest culprit for harbouring the campylobactor bug is...................................believe it or not RICE.....the type you see sitting around in the 'all you can eat' buffets and not kept at the correct temperature.
Unless I know that rice has been just cooked when I have a meal out I avoid it like the plague.

Loz x

Really? I'd not heard about rice before. I know that food left out like in a buffet is a breeding ground for bacteria because its rarely kept at the correct temp, but rice?? More so than meats? Any idea why?
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 6:10 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Littletoe
Really? I'd not heard about rice before. Any idea why?
so many different surfaces for the germs to breed on.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 6:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loz

Loz x

I think you may be wrong with that, the bug from rice is Bacillus cereus

Campylobacter is a bacterium found in the intestines of many types of animals and is the most common bacterial cause of diarrhoeal illness. Campylobacter coli (C. coli) and C. jejuni are the strains most frequently associated with Campylobacter food poisoning (campylobacteriosis). Campylobacteriosis has been found to be more prevalent during the summer months and appears to be more common in males than females. Babies and young adults are particularly likely to be affected.

HOW IS IT SPREAD?
Animals: Campylobacter may be isolated from a wide range of healthy animals such as domestic cats and dogs, birds, cattle, pigs, poultry and goats. It may be easily spread from animal to animal through contact with infected faeces or through a common water supply. In addition, unpasteurised milk may become contaminated with Campylobacter if the cow is infected or if the milk is contaminated with manure.

Humans: Individuals may become infected through consumption of the organism in undercooked chicken and pork, contaminated water, unpasteurised milk and through contact with infected domestic or farm animals. Although poultry are seen as a significant source of human infection, eggs are not usually contaminated with Campylobacter.

One of our daughters had campylobacter from drinking the water from her Grandmas birdbath.

Gill

Last edited by Gill and Rob; Aug 22nd 2007 at 6:25 am. Reason: deleted badly worded sentence
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

My sympathies to you, a nasty thing to experience. I had dysentery when I lived in India (from eating in a restaurant)and that took a,long time to recover from, even now I suffer from IBS.

I've just 'Googled' both Giardiasis and campylobacter - thank you for reminding us of these issues.

I am constantly amazed when people don't follow basic hygiene like washing hands after using the toilet. The nursery I work in - (in UK) is attached to a David Lloyd sports club and I often see women leaving the loos without washing their hands! I spend much of my time at work teaching children to wash their hands after the loo and before mealtimes, but it's the adults who need educating too!