British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Getting your UK TV fix (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/getting-your-uk-tv-fix-825066/)

AndyEvs Feb 14th 2014 10:58 pm

Getting your UK TV fix

Not everyone is that bothered by watching TV so if you are not there really is no need to post about how sailing your boat/climbing mountains/surfing/diving/shooting possum/sticking pigs or any one of a hundred other past times means you don't have time to turn the telly on.
On the other hand if you do miss UK TV or just want to watch stuff beyond soaps and American comedies then have a look at UnoTelly.
Many of us know about proxy servers that make your computer think it's in the UK but they can be a bit slow and tricky to set up. I don't want my computer and ipad to think it's in the UK I just want to be able to iPlayer and 4OD and for that UnoTelly is ideal. Incredibly easy to set up (I won't go into the technicalities) it is legal and will allow you to access all the UK TV channels either via their websites, apps or through the website TVCatchup. If you have an Apple TV you can stream the BBC to that.
The best part is I have seen no speed issues, it works faultlessly and cost just $6 a month.
Orcon here are promoting it as a way to access Netflix, which I will set up shortly which means that your ISP is unlikely to complain and all the reviews and details I can find suggest that it is perfectly legit.
Obviously there are other solutions that people have mentioned on here but having tried them all this is most definitely the best so far. There is even a bit of software out there that will download stuff from iPlayer and convert it to iTunes allowing you to watch it whenever.
Now my addiction to Deal or No Deal is easy to feed and I haven't watched kiwi TV since I came back a couple of weeks ago.

janiejones Feb 15th 2014 6:52 am

Re: Getting your UK TV fix

Sounds good. I'm trying out Mediahint within Firefox, but I'm having trouble getting the Welsh channel catch up to work :-(

How do you find Orcon? I'n out of my cable contract in a few months, and Orcon is currently top of my list for potential providers.

davros1984 Feb 15th 2014 7:01 am

Even with the DNS option (like the one you mention) not all UK services work. I have to use a combination of dns and proxy (or just a vpn) for things to work.

But thanks for the thread - will be useful to a lot of peeps!

AndyEvs Feb 15th 2014 7:18 am

Which UK services don't work?
I'm pretty cheesed off that Absolute 80's has stopped broadcasting outside the UK and I van't find an easy solution to that yet.
But all of the tv channels I have tried have worked, all of BBC, iTV, all the channel 4 channels as well as stuff like Dave.
Haven't moved to Orcon yet but am planning to. We have 500gb with Telecom so I am interested to see whether we get through that now I am streaming so much. I can get VDSL with Orcon which could be good.

davros1984 Feb 15th 2014 7:54 am

What doesn't work with just DNS:

Sky Go on-demand (live tv works)
4oD on tablet/non-pc (works ok on a PC, albeit slowly).

AndyEvs Feb 15th 2014 8:12 am

4OD works fine on my ipad and mac. no speed issues at all. the only irritating think is the 4OD app doesn't stream to an Apple TV like iPlayer does.
Wouldn't know about SKY, you need a UK subscription surely?

scrubbedexpat094 Feb 15th 2014 8:36 am

I'm too busy living :p

Just joking :o:scarper::scarper: Can't beat British TV.

davros1984 Feb 15th 2014 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by AndyEvs (Post 11130813)
4OD works fine on my ipad and mac. no speed issues at all. the only irritating think is the 4OD app doesn't stream to an Apple TV like iPlayer does.
Wouldn't know about SKY, you need a UK subscription surely?

Yes - I have a UK Sky Subscription :D With just DNS, live tv works, however if I try to watch any on-demand content, it doesn't. So having the DNS setup and enabling uk proxy at same time it works. (Just 1 of them doesn't appear to be sufficient).

4OD works on my Linux or Windows PC. However the 4oD app seems to struggle with dns or proxy (or using both). It only works with Android. Its possible the ipad app uses has a different verification method.

Good post though - this stuff is getting easier. Just a case of finding an NZ Isp that is capable of providing a reasonable service. When I was with Orcon I could never stream Sky UK (without loads of buffering). Now that I'm with Telecom - generally works well.

Get your point vitals, but we have to survive the NZ winters somehow!

alan83 Feb 15th 2014 8:41 pm

Speaking of UK TV, PickTV channel have just started showing the POLICE TEN 7 series (which I've never seen before), I'm getting a little insight into NZ's goings on before I make my move in a few months

BEVS Feb 16th 2014 1:47 am

Lovely to see you AndyEvs and thanks for this thread.

We just got rid of Sky as it was a pointless waste of time and money and are trying out ways to stream for UK TV so this is very timely for us.

AndyEvs Feb 16th 2014 2:42 am

Bevs, go for it. You can get a free trial for a week with unotelly which is what I did. After just a couple of days I realised it was a no-brainer as it worked so well. You can sign up for a month, 3 months, 6 months etc so you are not tied in.
I sound like a salesman for them, I'm not, but I'm just very excited by it.
Brand new series of Line of Duty has just started and it is the perfect example of why the BBC is so good. And there is a new series of Silk just round the corner too!

AndyEvs Feb 16th 2014 3:11 am

OVERLOAD OVERLOAD OVERLOAD!

Have just signed up for netflix, free trial for a month then £5.99 a month. Changed my location on the Apple TV and I'm up and running!
So much good stuff but I may have to start with Breaking Bad.

jmh Feb 16th 2014 5:34 am

Originally Posted by davros1984 (Post 11131406)
Yes - I have a UK Sky Subscription :D With just DNS, live tv works, however if I try to watch any on-demand content, it doesn't. So having the DNS setup and enabling uk proxy at same time it works. (Just 1 of them doesn't appear to be sufficient).

4OD works on my Linux or Windows PC. However the 4oD app seems to struggle with dns or proxy (or using both). It only works with Android. Its possible the ipad app uses has a different verification method.

Good post though - this stuff is getting easier. Just a case of finding an NZ Isp that is capable of providing a reasonable service. When I was with Orcon I could never stream Sky UK (without loads of buffering). Now that I'm with Telecom - generally works well.

Get your point vitals, but we have to survive the NZ winters somehow!

I'm accessing overseas tv via the Slingshot roaming mode option. I can get BBC iplayer ok but 4OD is not working. They suggested I deleted cookies which didn't help. I'm going to try fixing the DNS settings as recommended by Slingshot (it's upstairs so I have done it yet). Let me know if you can get it working and if so what you did.

Judging by the website the Unotelly looks like a goer. I don't mind paying if I'm saving on the Sky subscription.

Justcol Feb 17th 2014 6:22 am

Only thing I ever watch is Top Gear and the UK new for a better overseas view on things s on sky in the mornings,
I dont miss anything else

AndyEvs Feb 17th 2014 8:39 am

Good for you!