Reload this Page >

Getting your UK TV fix

Getting your UK TV fix

Old Feb 20th 2014, 3:44 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Getting your UK TV fix

I'm not wizzo

We have a Samsung tv but it is not 'smart'. I plug the Samsung , windows 8, laptop into the tv to try and watch bbc iplayer programmes , when it lets me.

I've not got an ipad or an iphone. Wot's one of them.

I think I may need to get a freeview box when Sky completely goes.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 4:26 am
`

Originally Posted by jmh
You have to download the Iplayer Desktop which is easy..
I have. Nothing downloads. It seems there may be an issue with Firefox . I've tried assorted fixes.
Old Mar 8th 2014, 12:53 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by madao
Ah, I also have HOLA Unblocker browser extension installed which may be doing it's bit. Only thing I cant get working is C5 (no loss there though really)

I just wanted to put in a good word for Hola - thanks for the tip.

For those who don't know, it's free and you can use it to easily flip to a different country, e.g. UK or US. It will get you BBC and 4OD and I hear that you can also get Netflix (UK or US). Can't access the new Amazon Prime Video service though.

If you click on this link you might earn me a free month of the premium service:

http://hola.org/referral_signup?refe...&medium=manual
Old Apr 10th 2014, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

BBFLBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh lord, it's 2014. Are people still faffing around with VPNs, proxies and such to watch stuttering TV on their laptops and tablets? Expat Shield and all these proxies are frankly hopeless!

Get an IPTV set top box. I've had one in Florida for about 2 years now and I couldn't imagine life without it. It plugs straight into my TV, uses my internet connection and I get 40 live Freeview channels in HD. Comes with remote and 7 day catch up service so timezones are not an issue anymore. Just like watching telly back home.

Box costs about 100 quid, subscription is £20 a month. It's not a Slingbox either which is old hat. These boxes are superb. Seriously, why are you still discussing VPNs? I didn't realise people still used them!

Just Google www.nowuktv.com and you can see the iptv box deal on their homepage. Well worth the price, trust me peeps
Old Apr 10th 2014, 7:53 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BBFLBoy
Oh lord, it's 2014. Are people still faffing around with VPNs, proxies and such to watch stuttering TV on their laptops and tablets? Expat Shield and all these proxies are frankly hopeless!

Get an IPTV set top box. I've had one in Florida for about 2 years now and I couldn't imagine life without it. It plugs straight into my TV, uses my internet connection and I get 40 live Freeview channels in HD. Comes with remote and 7 day catch up service so timezones are not an issue anymore. Just like watching telly back home.

Box costs about 100 quid, subscription is £20 a month. It's not a Slingbox either which is old hat. These boxes are superb. Seriously, why are you still discussing VPNs? I didn't realise people still used them!
Just Google www.nowuktv.com and you can see the iptv box deal on their homepage. Well worth the price, trust me peeps
This is NZ where the internet speed does not rate "High Speed" or peeps want to spend £25+ a month to watch TV that will spend most of it's time stuttering!
By the way are you promoting these boxes or are you just a UK TV addict ? (looking at your previous posts)

Last edited by Stormer999; Apr 10th 2014 at 7:59 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 8:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Stormer999
This is NZ where the internet speed does not rate "High Speed" or peeps want to spend £25+ a month to watch TV that will spend most of it's time stuttering!
By the way are you promoting these boxes or are you just a UK TV addict ? (looking at your previous posts)
What speed do you have in NZ? If I was promoting the boxes, I think i would have spammed like crazy don't you? I haven't been on here for ages. Only came on as I had a message I forgot to reply to from months ago. Just thought I'd share my discovery as I used these VPNs for ages and glad I found these boxes instead. Much prefer to watch tv on a tv.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 8:30 pm

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

What speed do you have in NZ? If I was promoting the boxes, I think i would have spammed like crazy don't you? I haven't been on here for ages. Only came on as I had a message I forgot to reply to from months ago. Just thought I'd share my discovery as I used these VPNs for ages and glad I found these boxes instead. Much prefer to watch tv on a tv.
No you get me wrong just thought we might be in for a discount (in NZ we do not like paying the posted price...the best price!)
In Christchurch the internet speed is poor and not capable of smooth streaming though we are having fibre optics put in for the main city centre so we can upgrade from copper. So your post may well be the way forward in the not so distant future
Old Apr 10th 2014, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

No you get me wrong just thought we might be in for a discount (in NZ we do not like paying the posted price...the best price!)
In Christchurch the internet speed is poor and not capable of smooth streaming though we are having fibre optics put in for the main city centre so we can upgrade from copper. So your post may well be the way forward in the not so distant future
Well I know these boxes support lower bandwidth connections as there's some channels that offer lower bit rate streams so might work down there in NZ. You don't need super-fast broadband to use these. 2mb is suffice according to the manual.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 10:44 pm

Well I know these boxes support lower bandwidth connections as there's some channels that offer lower bit rate streams so might work down there in NZ. You don't need super-fast broadband to use these. 2mb is suffice according to the manual.
Yes they say 2Mbps min and I have just checked mine at best speed of 0.87Mbps
Old Apr 10th 2014, 11:47 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

O, nasty! I have about 27 and I can't stream from iPlayer without buffering - though I am using Expattelly for vpn, which I don't think is as good as others but is easy to set up. I tried exploring unblockus but it wanted me to do things to my modem- beyond my confidence level.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 6:50 am
Just Joined

0.87mbp?? Ouch, I feel for you. Had no idea internet speeds were that slow in NZ!
Old Apr 11th 2014, 7:14 am
`

Just tried assorteds.

Mine.

.91 upload

around 12/15 mps download

Semi-rural NZ. Copper wire.

Can I just say to you BBFLBoy that in this area where I live ,you go in a queue for broadband . If you change provider you will queue all over again. Perhaps for quite a while.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 7:15 am
`

0.87mbp?? Ouch, I feel for you. Had no idea internet speeds were that slow in NZ!
Well . No.

Very different land and quite remote TBH
Old Apr 11th 2014, 7:19 am

That was the best!......can't beat them carrier pigeons...
Old Apr 11th 2014, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by BEVS
Just tried assorteds.

Mine.

.91 upload

around 12/15 mps download

Semi-rural NZ. Copper wire.

Can I just say to you BBFLBoy that in this area where I live ,you go in a queue for broadband . If you change provider you will queue all over again. Perhaps for quite a while.
Mind you Bev's the boys have just laid big red fibre optic cables in our area and Ultafast internet will soon be available and I'm bloody sure the providers are slowly turning our upload speed down to make sure we sign up...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.