Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Getting set up in NZ

Getting set up in NZ

Old Sep 20th 2007, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

wilekit is a jewel in the roughwilekit is a jewel in the roughwilekit is a jewel in the roughwilekit is a jewel in the roughwilekit is a jewel in the rough
Default Getting set up in NZ

As some of you may, or may not know, we're heading out to Auckland in the spring as I've been offered a job there. We've got 2 monkeys ages 5 months and 3 years and I know its prob getting ahead of ourselves a bit, seeing as the house has just gone on the market and we haven't done anything else but we're thinking about the first few weeks after we arrive, and how we're going to do this i.e. where and how to rent a house, childcare for under 5's - what options are there and how do we choose something, buying a car etc.

I was wondering what other peoples experiences of arriving in NZ were like? How did you get set up, what was tough, easy, what do you wish you had/ hadn't done?

We're finding it a bit daunting, particularly the thought of arriving after a 23 hour flight in a city neither of us have ever been to with a baby and a toddler!
Old Sep 20th 2007, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

Animal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to all
Default Re: Getting set up in NZ

Originally Posted by wilekit
As some of you may, or may not know, we're heading out to Auckland in the spring as I've been offered a job there. We've got 2 monkeys ages 5 months and 3 years and I know its prob getting ahead of ourselves a bit, seeing as the house has just gone on the market and we haven't done anything else but we're thinking about the first few weeks after we arrive, and how we're going to do this i.e. where and how to rent a house, childcare for under 5's - what options are there and how do we choose something, buying a car etc.

I was wondering what other peoples experiences of arriving in NZ were like? How did you get set up, what was tough, easy, what do you wish you had/ hadn't done?

We're finding it a bit daunting, particularly the thought of arriving after a 23 hour flight in a city neither of us have ever been to with a baby and a toddler!

I'm glad it's not only me worrying about all of this
Regards Gaynor x
Old Sep 20th 2007, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

wilekit is a jewel in the roughwilekit is a jewel in the roughwilekit is a jewel in the roughwilekit is a jewel in the roughwilekit is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Animal Crackers
I'm glad it's not only me worrying about all of this
Regards Gaynor x
I thought there might be more out there feeling the same way! Whats your situation? Are you imminently on your way or in the 'can't go til the house is sold' limbo?
Old Sep 20th 2007, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

AMBER will become famous soon enough

Hi,
I was interested in peoples replies as we are going there in one month, but have all those sort of worries hanging over us. If no-one replies in six weeks, I'll tell you my views!
Amber
Old Sep 21st 2007, 12:05 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AMBER
Hi,
I was interested in peoples replies as we are going there in one month, but have all those sort of worries hanging over us. If no-one replies in six weeks, I'll tell you my views!
Amber
It is daunting, we organised our holiday rental for the first 8 weeks over the internet using www.bookabatch.co.nz if it's unfurnished long term rentals google is your friend to find a real estate agency in the areas you've shortlisted. Get them to email you an application form so that you can fill it in and fax or email it back, that way if you see one you like you can apply straight off. Also look at trademe.

We hired a car initially and then bought one at turners auction, which I understand is in Auckland too.

Childcare is best done after you arrive so that you know where you'll be living and then visit what's available in the area.

Hope this helps?
Old Sep 21st 2007, 3:20 am
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Hi there, where exactly will you be working? That will help you to narrow down "where do we live". Auckland is really in an awful geographic location by having the centre city surrounded by water on a narrow strip of land and therefore, if you can live near work, you can keep clear of the traffic.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 3:47 am
Jen

jenjag will become famous soon enoughjenjag will become famous soon enough

It really depends where you want to be in Auckland. We arrived here 8 weeks ago and had a hotel booked for the first 4 weeks, we found an area on the Northshore we really liked (Browns Bay) after a few days of travelling round to get a feel of different areas then looked in the local papers and on on trademe at rentals. We viewed 2 rentals and took on the 2nd one we saw (you need references) and had all the paperwork sorted out within a week of getting here. You can do things really quickly if needed. We bought new furniture and most places could deliver straight away or within a few days. As for childcare i am not sure but there seems to be plenty of nurserys and things around (not got children). We openend a bank account the day we arrived and our cards came through in 3 days. Everything seems pretty easy to be honest, try not to worry about it and enjoy the time you have with your family and friends in the UK.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 4:16 am
Just Joined

hanjan will become famous soon enoughhanjan will become famous soon enough

Hi there!

Thought I'd share our experience with you as we arrived two days ago so are in the process of setting up!

All aspects related to work were sorted along the way, and I applied for a tax number from the UK which was waiting for me when we arrived.

We flew via Los Angeles and had a blast of Disney en-route. Fantastic, not only did we have a great time, we got over most of our jetlag. I guess that we didn't really experience the most of Disney beacuse of the jet lag as we only made one procession in the evening, and slept through the fireworks!! It was a great distraction to us, and helped us with the whole leaving friends and family thing.

We arrived in Auckland on Wednesday morning at 0530, and had cleared by 0630. We picked up our rental car keys from the info desk with no problems ( i think we paid $25 for the privelege), but we arrived in Orewa at 0800 hours!
We have rented a car from Jucy rentals for one week, at a total cost of $300. It's a high mileage car that is cheap and cheerful but is absolutely fine. Our eight suitcases just about fitted in the boot!!

We contacted local schools on our arrival, and had appointments two hours later! We have looked around the local schools, made a decision and registration was very simple. A form, consent for dental and health checks and some more dollars. There is a list of stationary to buy. But the whole process was made very easy by helpful and informative reception staff and a wilingness of the Principal to meet you and show us around the schools.

We have rented a house owned by resettleme nz, which is an absolute beauty. Everthing you need whilst your container arrives. They also offer their services to help, but we were keen on doing this ourselves, but if time is short they can help you out.

We have bought a car today, a Japanese import which has cost us $16,995. Again a very easy process.The car dealer was happy to let us drive it away, in fact he wasn't that bothered when he got the payment!!

Our next task is to find a longer term rental property and then we will be sorted.

Our experience has been of people willing to help, genuinely friendly and very simple. So enjoy your very exciting time, "she'll be right"!
Old Sep 21st 2007, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hanjan
Hi there!

Thought I'd share our experience with you as we arrived two days ago so are in the process of setting up!
Wow, congratulations on the successful move! How old are your children? I think thats the most daunting aspect of the whole thing TBH, if it was just us we wouldn't be worried, just excited! We've both done a bit of travelling before, and my partner lived in Africa while he was with the VSO. But doing it with kids is a whole different prospect
Old Sep 21st 2007, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dlmckay
Hi there, where exactly will you be working? That will help you to narrow down "where do we live". Auckland is really in an awful geographic location by having the centre city surrounded by water on a narrow strip of land and therefore, if you can live near work, you can keep clear of the traffic.

Well this is part of the stress, in that I don't know yet! They're in the process of allocating me to an area, and there's about 10 offices in and around Auckland and it could be any one! I'm hoping for North Shore, but it could be central. I understand the traffic is bad, although at the moment it takes me an hour to travel 7 miles to work, it can't be worse than that!
Old Sep 21st 2007, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Well this is part of the stress, in that I don't know yet! They're in the process of allocating me to an area, and there's about 10 offices in and around Auckland and it could be any one! I'm hoping for North Shore, but it could be central. I understand the traffic is bad, although at the moment it takes me an hour to travel 7 miles to work, it can't be worse than that!
My OH used to drive to Queens Med in Notts, about 10 miles, but was quicker than driving 10km to Starship in Central Auckland from North Shore
Old Sep 21st 2007, 9:30 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hanjan
Hi there!

All aspects related to work were sorted along the way, and I applied for a tax number from the UK which was waiting for me when we arrived.

We flew via Los Angeles and had a blast of Disney en-route. Fantastic, not only did we have a great time, we got over most of our jetlag. I guess that we didn't really experience the most of Disney beacuse of the jet lag as we only made one procession in the evening, and slept through the fireworks!! It was a great distraction to us, and helped us with the whole leaving friends and family thing.

We arrived in Auckland on Wednesday morning at 0530, and had cleared by 0630. We picked up our rental car keys from the info desk with no problems ( i think we paid $25 for the privelege), but we arrived in Orewa at 0800 hours!
We have rented a car from Jucy rentals for one week, at a total cost of $300. It's a high mileage car that is cheap and cheerful but is absolutely fine. Our eight suitcases just about fitted in the boot!!

We contacted local schools on our arrival, and had appointments two hours later! We have looked around the local schools, made a decision and registration was very simple. A form, consent for dental and health checks and some more dollars. There is a list of stationary to buy. But the whole process was made very easy by helpful and informative reception staff and a wilingness of the Principal to meet you and show us around the schools.

We have rented a house owned by resettleme nz, which is an absolute beauty. Everthing you need whilst your container arrives. They also offer their services to help, but we were keen on doing this ourselves, but if time is short they can help you out.

We have bought a car today, a Japanese import which has cost us $16,995. Again a very easy process.The car dealer was happy to let us drive it away, in fact he wasn't that bothered when he got the payment!!

Our next task is to find a longer term rental property and then we will be sorted.

Our experience has been of people willing to help, genuinely friendly and very simple. So enjoy your very exciting time, "she'll be right"!
welcome to the Hi-Biscus Coast fellow former Staffordshire-ite, was born in Wolvo (when it was in Staffs) and lived just inside Dudley (that island of Worcestershire within Staffs) before it all became the West Mids. How are you finding Orewa? Need any tips on where to/not to live? Drop us a PM - we've been in Red Beach since Jan.........
Old Sep 21st 2007, 9:34 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

oh yes it can - but fear not, not on a regular basis only when there's a smash on the wrong road! Problem with AKL as DLM said is that its an isthmus with the motorways right through the centre and only two real crossings - if you live N or W of the city's CBD then its one of two m/ways to get in and if you are south then its pretty bad too - there are some public transport alternatives but don't expect European or US standards, it can be traffic hell, unless you leave at 0600 or after 0900. Good luck!
Old Sep 21st 2007, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

WheelsOfSteel is on a distinguished road

1: Make sure you have somewhere nice to stay for the first couple of weeks.
2: Try not to start work straight away. It may sound like it is all doable now, but come the time you will widh you had a breather.
3: Be fussy about where you rent (nice-ness) if that is your intial plan. You have to live there and if this becomes an issue, it will add to your overal negativity.
4: Get involved in local clubs/ community activities.
5: Once you have an IRD number and bank account, the rest will fall into place.
6: Don't live with dread - you will have bad times and just know that worst case, you can all go back to what and where you were.
7: Don't loose track of why you moved.
8: Don't feed on negativity on forums like this. Find your own way. You will question the move and all you need it to read a post in the 'Returning to Uk' thread and you will spiral into negative teritory!
9: Take a deep breath through the nose and breath out slowly thought the mouth - Relax...
Old Sep 21st 2007, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

Animal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to all

Originally Posted by WheelsOfSteel
1: Make sure you have somewhere nice to stay for the first couple of weeks.
2: Try not to start work straight away. It may sound like it is all doable now, but come the time you will widh you had a breather.
3: Be fussy about where you rent (nice-ness) if that is your intial plan. You have to live there and if this becomes an issue, it will add to your overal negativity.
4: Get involved in local clubs/ community activities.
5: Once you have an IRD number and bank account, the rest will fall into place.
6: Don't live with dread - you will have bad times and just know that worst case, you can all go back to what and where you were.
7: Don't loose track of why you moved.
8: Don't feed on negativity on forums like this. Find your own way. You will question the move and all you need it to read a post in the 'Returning to Uk' thread and you will spiral into negative teritory!
9: Take a deep breath through the nose and breath out slowly thought the mouth - Relax...
I read the returning to England forum and asked my OH if we were doing the right thing? But like he said "Everyone is different, have didn't expectations and want different things from life!!" so we are being very open minded with everything.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.