British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Getting scared now..... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/getting-scared-now-669883/)

Gizmo27 May 26th 2010 9:14 pm

Getting scared now.....

Well, in 2 weeks I will be half way to NZ having flown out of London on the Tuesday and scheduled to arrive in NZ on the Thursday, but the nerves are starting to kick in.

Dunno why. Guess I am just scared of doing this alone really. Ideal opportunity as I don't have to worry about anybody else and so on, but still, I am scared of doing this - Starting a completly new life abroad - all alone.....

You would have thought I would be used to doing things alone after so long, but nope..... :( Oh to have a nice girlfriend to enjoy the NZ sun with.....

Sorry. Rambling/ranting now. Another year older and wiser and none of my so called 'friends' managed to remember my birthday or anything. Yes, they do know it is my last in England, and yes, they do say they will miss me. Yeah right! Dosn't help much when I am so stressed out and need a break from the hastle and stress of moving and packing and planning for a new life!! :curse:

Anywho back on topic-ish, anybody else ever got the same moving worries? Anybody got any advice?

Thanx. Gizzy.

Dewb09 May 26th 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Getting scared now.....

Awww think its only natural to be apprehensive, it is after all such a big decision. But then think of all the new things you have yet to experience & all the new friends you have yet to make :thumbsup:

Nothing ventured etc.........

:cake: happy birthday, whenever it was :lol:

Dewb

127luton May 26th 2010 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by Gizmo27 (Post 8592206)
Well, in 2 weeks I will be half way to NZ having flown out of London on the Tuesday and scheduled to arrive in NZ on the Thursday, but the nerves are starting to kick in.

Dunno why. Guess I am just scared of doing this alone really. Ideal opportunity as I don't have to worry about anybody else and so on, but still, I am scared of doing this - Starting a completly new life abroad - all alone.....

You would have thought I would be used to doing things alone after so long, but nope..... :( Oh to have a nice girlfriend to enjoy the NZ sun with.....

Sorry. Rambling/ranting now. Another year older and wiser and none of my so called 'friends' managed to remember my birthday or anything. Yes, they do know it is my last in England, and yes, they do say they will miss me. Yeah right! Dosn't help much when I am so stressed out and need a break from the hastle and stress of moving and packing and planning for a new life!! :curse:

Anywho back on topic-ish, anybody else ever got the same moving worries? Anybody got any advice?

Thanx. Gizzy.

Hi Gizzy.. u are facing ur challenges 'face on' and good on you! - and i agree it is a stressful time when u are moving,,, but think positive and im sure it will work out for you... Berni!;)

nicorsts1 May 26th 2010 10:10 pm

Thanx. Gizzy.

We've not set a date yet but still have all the pre-move nerves, its a big thing to go through with but at the end of the day theres nothing to lose and everything to gain.

I travelled around OZ on my own, backpackings alot diffrent to immigrating but when your thousands of miles away from a familiar face it can be a little daunting, thing is to get out and about, meet loads of new people and make friends.

I'd guess in a few months you'll not even look back mate, and in the early days of NZ life you've got BE, plenty of people on here to help or maybe even meet up with.... who knows just take the bull by the horns and do it, you've come this far, have a blast!!!

Good luck, might see ya on the bright side :thumbsup:

MnB May 26th 2010 10:48 pm

Thanx. Gizzy.

Its only natural to get a dose of the ebjebies.:eek:....it is a stressful, worrying, time, especially when you have to keep smiling in front of friends and family, I can only imagine what it would be like to be facing it alone...good on you!!
But you will survive!!!! you're doing something that so many people only dream of and talk about, the experience will stay with you ....the stress, fear, worry etc will go!!!

Enjoy, stay positive and keep smiling :D and belated birthday wishes & hug x
B x

RobDon May 26th 2010 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by MnB (Post 8592366)
Its only natural to get a dose of the ebjebies.:eek:....it is a stressful, worrying, time, especially when you have to keep smiling in front of friends and family, I can only imagine what it would be like to be facing it alone...good on you!!
But you will survive!!!! you're doing something that so many people only dream of and talk about, the experience will stay with you ....the stress, fear, worry etc will go!!!

Enjoy, stay positive and keep smiling :D and belated birthday wishes & hug x
B x

Ditto what MnB says. ;)
Its perfectly normal to feel the way you do, and you are not alone (technically!) all of us on this side have been in your shoes and felt like you are feeling. ;)
But you can and will get through it and remember you are actually doing something some people only dream about, the experience maybe one of the most stressfull of you life :eek: but that will fade so quickly when you get here! Good Luck. XX

Gizmo27 May 27th 2010 6:04 am

Originally Posted by MnB (Post 8592366)
But you will survive.

For as long as you've had Weetabix you might just stay alive.....

But I don't like Weetabix..... :D

Thanks for the support guys & girls. Still scared after your kind words, but I doubt anything will change that really!!! :unsure:

zoexr May 28th 2010 8:53 am

Hi Gizmo,
I think you are really brave for moving on your own, EVERYONE gets scared, its a massive thing, but it will be worth it!
Just think of the lovely kiwi girls you can meet!

lisamct May 28th 2010 9:16 am

Thanx. Gizzy.

Are you me!?
I haven't booked flights yet but looks like it'll be August sometime and I'm also doing it all on my own. I had a bit of a 'what on earth am I doing' melt down at 2am last night verging on a full on hyperventilating panic attack!

I'm also struggling with the stress of trying to sort out my life coupled with trying to sort out the remnants of a 13 year relationship thats only recently ended (this was originally a move for both of us) and trying to get my head around paperwork, selling my flat, what flights to book, where to stay when I get there, how do I find a rental, how do I buy a car without getting ripped off, how do you actually go about restarting your life in a totally new environment??

My friends sound pretty much like yours...lots of "we'll miss you"'s but little action to back up them wanting to spend any more time together before I go. I guess they all have their lives and they'll carry on fine without me in them but I'm not entirely sure that the whole reality of the distance and the definite possibility that we'll never see each other again has really sunk in with them because they're not going through all the rest of the stuff that goes along with it.

Sorry that I don't really have any advice to help you through this as I'm in the same boat and pretty much 'stealing' for myself any advice you're getting on this thread :unsure:

I'm sure we'll get there and I'm sure these moments of stress/panic are totally normal (at least I hope they are!)

Jewelie38 May 28th 2010 3:32 pm

If it is any consolation I am just as scared as you both are, except yes I accept that I am moving with my husband and three kids so I'm not alone. However, you still lay in bed wondering whether you are doing the right thing for the kids etc and will we find jobs.
However, I think that you are both doing the best thing you can do in life....taking a chance! So what if it doesn't work out.....you can at least say that you took that chance and tried....And when it does turn out to be the best thing you've ever done you can praise yourselves for being brave and doing something that most people wouldn't.....taking that chance!!.
Good luck to you both and I hope that everything works out and look forward to your updates on here.

:thumbsup: Julie x

Droidling May 28th 2010 4:52 pm

It's certainly different doing it on your own,no one else to rely on, the buck stops with you every time - no safety net. But you will be surprised how resourceful you can be and you'll learn a lot about yourself. I found I was too busy in the weeks directly before flying to worry,it just suddenly occurred to me on the way to Heathrow .... this is it now !!
Just think how you can hopefully look back in a couple of weeks time after arriving when you're in your new job and house with a sense of pride at what you've achieved.
The travelling alone thing,some might say,is the better way anyway. Less diluted,no compromising with anyone else you can really go for this new experience.
Enjoy it,tear off a strip !!

Gizmo27 May 28th 2010 5:09 pm

Thanks for the comments guys.

This is breaking me up though (In not the obvious way)

I just got this MSN message from a friend - somebody who I considered a good friend.

History: We dated a few years ago and she dumped me. We have remained good friends since then (or so I thought) and she has since married.

Me: "Hi, How are you?"
Her: "u r running away and leaving me. bye"
Me: "I thought you still wanted to be friends?"
Her: "u r leaving what the f**k u expect me to think? bye"

Followed by her promptly blocking me on MSN and deleting me as a friend off Facebook. :thumbdown:

WTF??? I mean, I can understand that reaction from your partner or family if you drop that in their lap. I can understand it from a friend if you up and tell them that in 2 weeks you are leaving the country, but that is from somebody who knew 6 months ago!

And some people seriously have to wonder why I am so fragging cynical about things???

gah.

It does make you wonder though. How many more of the friends who you leave behind feel the same way as her, but never had the stones to tell you how they felt?

@zoexr - I hope Kiwi girls are more polite than her for starters!

londonescapee May 29th 2010 9:58 am

Originally Posted by Gizmo27 (Post 8596286)
Thanks for the comments guys.

This is breaking me up though (In not the obvious way)

I just got this MSN message from a friend - somebody who I considered a good friend.

History: We dated a few years ago and she dumped me. We have remained good friends since then (or so I thought) and she has since married.

Me: "Hi, How are you?"
Her: "u r running away and leaving me. bye"
Me: "I thought you still wanted to be friends?"
Her: "u r leaving what the f**k u expect me to think? bye"

Followed by her promptly blocking me on MSN and deleting me as a friend off Facebook. :thumbdown:

WTF??? I mean, I can understand that reaction from your partner or family if you drop that in their lap. I can understand it from a friend if you up and tell them that in 2 weeks you are leaving the country, but that is from somebody who knew 6 months ago!

And some people seriously have to wonder why I am so fragging cynical about things???

gah.

It does make you wonder though. How many more of the friends who you leave behind feel the same way as her, but never had the stones to tell you how they felt?

I am afraid there seems to be a certain type of person that expects you will always be around to shore them up regardless of whether you broke up 6 days or 6 years ago - and takes it as a personal insult when you actually want to move on with your life :blink:

Sounds like you are far better off out of things in the uk? have a fabulous trip over and regardless of what happens in the future you're doing an amazing thing just getting over there. Enjoy and have fun :D

zoexr May 29th 2010 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Gizmo27 (Post 8596286)

I don't think they could be any ruder!!! :rofl: Maybe she wants an invite??!!
Women eh??;)

I'm freaking out at the moment, now the offer for my house has come through I'm all possesive about it. And the sale of my shoe collection was heartbreaking...

Keep your chin up, NZ must be ace, thats why its so difficult to get in!!

Gizmo27 May 29th 2010 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by zoexr (Post 8597762)
I don't think they could be any ruder!!!

Well you are not and you are soon to be a Kiwi chick. Tell me more about yourself..... ;)