Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Getting a (Primary School) Teaching Job in New Zealand

Getting a (Primary School) Teaching Job in New Zealand

Old Jul 10th 2009, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a (Primary School) Teaching Job in New Zealand

Level 7 for BEd Hons Degree ? How many years experience?
Old Jul 10th 2009, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

thedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by j19fmm
Level 7 for BEd Hons Degree ? How many years experience?
She's also been assessed as Level 7 for BEd Hons and she's been teaching for 10 yrs come this September.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 2:55 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thedtb
She's also been assessed as Level 7 for BEd Hons and she's been teaching for 10 yrs come this September.
Your situation is really starting to bug me now, which at stupid o'clock in the morning here is not good!!!

Can you list for us what you have claimed points for so far, so we can better help you and do you have a skill?

Sorry for the questions, but if you put all the relevant info down then maybe we can sort this out for you ( 200 heads are better than 2 after all )
Old Jul 10th 2009, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

thedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by P2L
Your situation is really starting to bug me now, which at stupid o'clock in the morning here is not good!!!

Can you list for us what you have claimed points for so far, so we can better help you and do you have a skill?

Sorry for the questions, but if you put all the relevant info down then maybe we can sort this out for you ( 200 heads are better than 2 after all )
No problem at all, I'd love to. When my OH returns from work and the kids are in bed I'll get her to log in to the immigration website (I don't know her access details) and review what we've been allocated points for and I'll post the details up here.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by vicejw
Hi thedtb

As mentioned in my previous post I have had no luck finding work from over here so we're going over and taking a chance and like you we have two small children - 2 girls 4 and 1. It is, as you say a huge gamble, but we feel our life here is going no where and our quality of life is not great - working too many hours, threat of redundancy, huge mortgage and unfortunatley we live in an area where there's a lot of pressure to keep up with the Jones' - or so it seems. We feel that if we wait for a job we could be waiting a while and I am too impatient for that.

We have been granted PR on the basis of my job but I am prepared do some temping work or whatever, as is my husband to get by in the first few months. I am under no illusions that the first while will be a big struggle emotionally and possibly even financially but we've been squirrelling a bit away and will have a bit of a cushion to help us in the first little while.

We figure in the long run it'll be worth it and being there we feel we can go for jobs more easily and can get a better feel for areas we like. Also for us our eldest will be 5 in december and we'd like to be a little settled before she starts school in early Feb.

Sometimes you have to grab the bull by the horns and go for it. If you can cover yourself financially for 3 months or so and are prepared for anything it may be a chance worth taking. I must admit to being terrified though!!! But also very excited http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...erscrossed.gif

I'm sure it will work out for you and your boys will be fine - like you say kids are adaptable and as long as you are there as a constant for them it'll all work out one way or the other...... goodness I sound more confident than I feel!!!
Well, i take my hat off to you! you certainly seem to have the right attitude to get on in NZ, and i have no doubts that you will succeed... u go and grab the bull my its lovely horns.. dont be worried!! you will be ok
myself .. i am a nurse (psych) and my husband.. we have lived in australia in 2006 - 07, came bk to Bedfordshire, (i actually work in hertfordshire) and we really miss being 'down under' so to speak, we have 4 children (all bigger now) bt think young! and we loved (really loved) NZ and have friends there! - it is soo much nicer than lots of other countries, the people are very 'green' generally, and friendly (made more kiwi friends in oz - than australians) lolxxx
So dont worry too much .... i advice u 'go for it'!!!!!!
Berni
xx
Old Jul 10th 2009, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by P2L

Ok - first of all, despite the fact I'm relatively successful with the two businesses I run, I don't actually have any qualifications higher than GCSE's, therefore on paper (the EOI) it seems my value is a little above worthless

The points we've been allocated so far are as follows:

Principal Applicant---------------------------Points----Complete

Identity---------------------------------------25--------Yes

Character--------------------------------------0---------Yes

Health-----------------------------------------0---------Yes

English Language Ability-------------------------0---------Yes

Skilled Employment------------------------------0---------Yes

Recognised Qualifications-----------------------50---------Yes

Recognised Work Experience--------------------20---------Yes

Children----------------------------------------0---------Yes

Other Family------------------------------------0---------Yes

Declaration for Person Assisting Applicant---------0--------Yes

Partner----------------------------------------Points----Complete

Identity-----------------------------------------0---------Yes

Character---------------------------------------0---------Yes

Health------------------------------------------0---------Yes

English Language Ability-------------------------0---------Yes

Skilled Employment------------------------------0--------Yes

Recognised Qualifications------------------------0---------Yes

Other Family------------------------------------0---------Yes

Child------------------------------------------Points-----Complete

Identity----------------------------------------0----------Yes

Proof of Identity--------------------------------0----------Yes

Health------------------------------------------0---------Yes

Child-----------------------------------------Points----Complete

Identity----------------------------------------0---------Yes

Proof of Identity--------------------------------0---------Yes

Health-----------------------------------------0----------Yes

Originally Posted by thedtb
Contrary to what I said earlier, it turns out she'll have been teaching for 8 years this September - not 10.

Regards

David
Old Jul 11th 2009, 9:58 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry my computer crashed

I get you to 105 or 100 points depending on age.

50 points for a basic qualification (or 55 for a post grad one)
25 points for 8 years work experience in a comparable market
30 points for 20-29 age group. This drops down to 25 if 30 -39

Have you ticked the box for work experience in a comparable labour market? This seems to be where the difference is

HTH
Old Jul 14th 2009, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

strawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of light

Just go for it!!! You'll be surprised how many people do just take the plunge. I know its costly and it will be costly if you wanted to return also, but life is to short for regrets!! Your children are young and will adapt, we have PR and are going as soon as someone will buy our lovely house! Our children are 9yrs, 5yrs and 22months. We have no jobs to go too and will look when there. I'm surprised you can only get 95 points though!!
Old Jul 14th 2009, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by P2L
Sorry my computer crashed

I get you to 105 or 100 points depending on age.

50 points for a basic qualification (or 55 for a post grad one)
25 points for 8 years work experience in a comparable market
30 points for 20-29 age group. This drops down to 25 if 30 -39

Have you ticked the box for work experience in a comparable labour market? This seems to be where the difference is

HTH
Thanks for this.

I've asked the OH to look back at the EOI and see if she ticked the box for work experience in a comparable labour market she's going to look tonight, although she says she's somewhat sure that she did.

Even so, if she's not ticked this, this will only return us to 100 points and we've already been sat at 100 points since we submitted the EOI in March... it seems the only way we're going to get more than 100 points is to get the job offer, which is proving elusive... the feedback she's getting (as mentioned) is that schools will offer her a job if she's already in NZ (presumably with the VISA granted).

Originally Posted by strawbie
Just go for it!!! You'll be surprised how many people do just take the plunge. I know its costly and it will be costly if you wanted to return also, but life is to short for regrets!! Your children are young and will adapt, we have PR and are going as soon as someone will buy our lovely house! Our children are 9yrs, 5yrs and 22months. We have no jobs to go too and will look when there. I'm surprised you can only get 95 points though!!
In terms of the points, it seems it's down to the fact that Primary School Teachers are not listed on the LTSSL - if they were it'd be a whole different story.

We're seriously contemplating just getting out there and having the OH look for jobs and go for interviews etc whilst over there, the problem is, so far as I can see, it's looking more likely that it won't be possible for us to get anything other than a tourist visa and then hope that she finds a job and that we can finalise/upgrade the visa before it lapses and we're asked to leave.

If we're going to do this, we're going to simply get the house contents in storage with the shipping company (so that it's effectively only a phone call to instruct them to ship our belongings to us) - leave the house keys with the estate agent whilst they attempt to sell it, sell our cars, jump on a plane and go! We're contemplating being out there early to mid September if not before.

On one hand the whole prospect of this is hugely exciting but it also scares the hell out of me.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

strawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of light

oh, i really feel for you, i know i made light out of it before but it must be really difficult for you to decide! Like i said we plan on going out without jobs, but we have pr and won't go till house sells! You will be taking a risk but i'm sure it will work out, if you do your research and there are jobs out there then hopefully she'll secure one when ouy there. Find out about agencies for temp work-foot in the door and all that! If you have a definate date for going then she can contact schools etc and maybe arrange an interview for when you arrive. Good luck and keep asking questions on here-some folk in a similar situation to you may have some great advice!!
Old Jul 14th 2009, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by strawbie
oh, i really feel for you, i know i made light out of it before but it must be really difficult for you to decide! Like i said we plan on going out without jobs, but we have pr and won't go till house sells! You will be taking a risk but i'm sure it will work out, if you do your research and there are jobs out there then hopefully she'll secure one when ouy there. Find out about agencies for temp work-foot in the door and all that! If you have a definate date for going then she can contact schools etc and maybe arrange an interview for when you arrive. Good luck and keep asking questions on here-some folk in a similar situation to you may have some great advice!!
Thanks Strawbie, much appreciated.

I just noticed you're in West Yorkshire... we're in S.Yorkshire although my OH teaches in Holmfirth (W.Yorkshire) - For all I know we could be round the corner from each other!
Old Jul 14th 2009, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

< comment removed>

moderator note:-

The link is simply some school children singing a Haere Mai - a welcome song and is a harmless but charming link.

Last edited by BEVS; Jul 14th 2009 at 10:50 pm. Reason: Comment removed.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 10:49 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

The above post had a questionable comment , calculated to cause offence, so I have removed it.

However, I have left the You-tube link as some of the school teachers and for that matter others in the UK could find this lovely and interesting. .

This is a really rather charming Maori welcome song performed by some young schoolchildren. It is a Haere Mai. ( Feel free to correct if I have this a bit wrong )

I have seen this performed at our local village school and it is taught to the school children here at quite an early age.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

Default Getting a (Primary School) Teaching Job in NZ (Job [Telephone} Interview requested).

Ok Peeps... after all the debate and throwing ourselves head strong in to selling everything and getting over to NZ on a tourist visa in the hope of finding my wife a job whilst we're there, a school has now informed my wife that she's made it on to their short list of candidates and that they want to interview her by telephone/skype in the next few days.

Great news! You'd think...

The issue is that my wife applied for the job as a bit of a long-shot not really expecting to be considered for it... all of the feedback so far from other schools have incorporated suggestions that she (my wife) should concentrate on larger schools as apparently they would find it easier to "fit" an immigrant teacher in to their ranks..... this particular school is fairly tiny, with less than 50 kids in it... it appears to be a lovely school and it's fantastic that they think she's potentially suitable... but now the issue is...

What if she gets it?.. it's fairly remote and there appears to be really very few properties for sale in the area and none that we can find to rent... there's some reasonable plots of land for sale at what appear to be very reasonable prices so there's always the option to buy and build... or... we opt to live further out and she has to endure a daily commute/drive of up to 1.5 hours (3hr round trip), which is approximately 2hrs 50mins than the commute/drive she had here in the UK.

It's a real catch 22 scenario, we don't want to give up the opportunity for the job, but equally there's no point in the job if there's no where to live in the area.

Has anybody else been in a similar position and what did you do about it?
Old Jul 29th 2009, 10:20 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

My gut feeling? While the school may be lovely it could be really isolating living there. I suspect it would be hard enough travelling half way around the world only to find that you are travelling so much each day that you don't have the time to actually socialise or look for new friends.

Then again, are you sure it is really that isolated? Or is it just you haven't heard of the nearby towns? Without asking what school (or town) it is in, what region is it? You may find there are

Although I think -again gut feeling - if you aren't country people that's one hell of a difficult change.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.