Reload this Page >

Getting to NZ as a teacher via Track 2

Getting to NZ as a teacher via Track 2

Old Mar 25th 2010, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

joannii is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting to NZ as a teacher via Track 2

Hello,

I was wondering if there were any teachers here who got into NZ with a GTP or equivalent. We are putting a pack together so know all of the bits and pieces we have to include, but was just wondering if anyone who has done it has any helpful tips or just to re-assure us that you can get in and teach, as all the posts on the web seem to be from people who have done the PGCE.

Thanks,

Old Mar 25th 2010, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

Heavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Any teachers here?

Originally Posted by joannii
Hello,

I was wondering if there were any teachers here who got into NZ with a GTP or equivalent. We are putting a pack together so know all of the bits and pieces we have to include, but was just wondering if anyone who has done it has any helpful tips or just to re-assure us that you can get in and teach, as all the posts on the web seem to be from people who have done the PGCE.

Thanks,

Hi
Just to saY I AM ONE OF THOSE WITH A PGCE IN FURTHER EDUCATION AND IT TOO IS NOT RECOGNISED YET!!!
Old Mar 25th 2010, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Thanks,

Have you had your qualifications assessed by NZQA? Nagging at the back of my mind...do they recognise GTP in NZ?
Found this from one of my old posts, it was in an email from Ministry of Education. Guess you're talking about putting together evidence for a track2 for Teacher Registration? Good luck!

"Teachers who have qualified teacher status (QTS) , gained through "training on the job" programmes in UK ,such as the Graduate Training Programme (GTP), need to be aware that NZQA does not equate that to the graduate diploma of teaching which is the training qualification for graduate teachers in New Zealand. A number of USA training options are also affected in this way. There are alternate ways by which many such teachers can gain registration if they have teaching experience. However there could be salary implications if you were registered before February 2007. If you hold QTS, you should discuss this with me further so that you fully understand the situation before you come, and it is essential that such teachers complete the registration process before coming to New Zealand."

Last edited by j19fmm; Mar 25th 2010 at 9:38 pm. Reason: added a bit
Old Mar 25th 2010, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, the NQZA don't do the GTP etc.. so you just send them in your degrees for them to check and send the information pack to the NQTC for track 2, who decide if you can be registered or not.

Old Mar 25th 2010, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the NQZA don't do the GTP etc.. so you just send them in your degrees for them to check and send the information pack to the NQTC for track 2, who decide if you can be registered or not.

Right..makes my reply redundant then I'll get my coat.......
Old Mar 26th 2010, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

No your reply was fine. I think there needs to be more information on taking this route. We are doing it blind because no matter how much I look the information doesn't exist!

Does worry me a bit, either they got in and they are to busy to let everyone know, or nobody has gotten in, and it's the second part that scares me!

Old Mar 26th 2010, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

No your reply was fine. I think there needs to be more information on taking this route. We are doing it blind because no matter how much I look the information doesn't exist!

Does worry me a bit, either they got in and they are to busy to let everyone know, or nobody has gotten in, and it's the second part that scares me!

Hmm, know what you mean. Have you tried contacting the Ministry of Education in Wellington, I found them (Charles Brown in particular) incredibly helpful, far more so than I believe a British government department would be.
So, don't you disappear, keep updating on your case!!
Old Mar 26th 2010, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

dave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nice

Just one to watch out for, I'm not sure if this is gospel but we have heard that the track 2 process will mean that you can only ever be paid unqualified teachers salary (which apparently is really low). My OH also has GTP qualification and due to this she is looking into a 1 year teaching diploma once we arrive in NZ. Has the added advantage of learning the Maori side of the curriculm and gaining teaching contacts during her work placements (part of the course).

Please correct me if I'm wrong but this is the opinion of the NZ teachers council

P.S. we did look into a PGCE course in the UK, but its a bit of a sticky wicket as you won't know if NZQA will approve it until you have done it (apparently not all PGCEs are recognised too)
Old Mar 28th 2010, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

Yes I contacted lots of people and got a fantastic reply from the PPTA which said:

I presume he is QTS?

He will be treated as untrained when he starts so he’ll come in on step 8 but drop 2 (4.2.2. b) to step 6 but then his 16 years teaching will be credited at 16 years providing the teaching was done in a state school or subject to state inspection so he’ll move up to step 13 ($65609) .

Then there’s a problem because track 2 (while necessary for registration and required in order to allow you to hold a permanent job) is not the “recognised teaching qualification” that is required to move to step 14.

At the moment the only way round that is to do teacher training here though we are going to try to get it changed when we start bargaining later this year – otherwise he will be stuck on step 13.

There are also salary units at $4000 a pop which are added to the pay in return for a teacher taking on extra tasks or responsibilities.
We asked about PGCE courses as well but you are not aloud to take a PGCE course if you already have QTS status and a DFES number.

An update on how far we have got: Still gathering evidence for the NZQA and NZTC. Yesterday we photocopied the stuff we had received so far, cost £9 at the library who thought we were crazy! Also sent application to ARCO for police check.

Last edited by joannii; Mar 28th 2010 at 7:43 am.
Old Mar 28th 2010, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

dave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nice

Yes I contacted lots of people and got a fantastic reply from the PPTA which said:

We asked about PGCE courses as well but you are not aloud to take a PGCE course if you already have QTS status and a DFES number.

An update on how far we have got: Still gathering evidence for the NZQA and NZTC. Yesterday we photocopied the stuff we had received so far, cost £9 at the library who thought we were crazy! Also sent application to ARCO for police check.
Thats great, we did find a local college who were willing to accept my wife for a PGCE course, but the general response was you couldnt do it if you were already QTS!

Just out of interest, who are the PPTA?.. never came across this lot!

Problem with my OH is she only has about 4 years teaching experience and most of it part time due to maternity leave, this is another reason why we're going to do the course in NZ. Sounds like you are in a better position with 13 years experience and $66k is a fair wage in NZ I believe!

Best of luck, keep us informed how you get on!
Old Mar 28th 2010, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

The PPTA are the teaching union for secondary school teachers.

This is their website: http://www.ppta.org.nz/

They have some really good resources, like a pay calculator.

I think I will keep this thread up to date, it might be useful for others doing our route.

Old May 2nd 2010, 1:36 am
Just Joined

Shevie is an unknown quantity at this point

Great thread...
I have been in NZ for 2 years now and still fighting to be accepted via Track 2 as I too did the GTP training (2004).
My story is very long....but in brief I have applied for Track 2 twice and been turned down twice.
I am teaching on a LAT (Limited Authority to Teach) which allows me to hold fixed terms positions, but not get a permanent job. Also paid much less as others have mentioned, but hey, at least I am teaching.
I have found the NZTC very difficult to work with...every avenue I have looked into has failed so far.
Initially I was told that to be awarded Track 2 registration (yes, you still get paid less than someone who has a recognised teaching qual and would need to retrain from scratch to get it - ridiculous) you have to meet the 'Fitness to Teach' criteria and 'Satisfactory Teacher Dimensions' which I did but have now been told that if I had a post grad qual I might have got in - no mention was made of this at the time.
Despite appraisals from my current school where I teach Maths and Science and train other teachers the TC has turned me down because of my GTP (yes I did Track 2 because I do not have a recognised Teaching qual and was turned down for the same reason).
The TC has told me that it is the responsibility of each education provider to grant credit for prior learning - in other words the universities in NZ can cross-credit or sign off training / practicums etc that you have done but when I contacted Massey they said that the TC would not let them do this. Having waited this long I am not in a position to be able to retrain.
I have been going around in circles for 2 years now.
My MP is on the case.
I am NZ based, if you need any other info let me know. I intend to fight this, especially as the GTP scheme used to be accepted here, which TeachNZ says could not be the case. I have met with someone in person who is an HOD who completed the GTP scheme.
Old May 2nd 2010, 9:23 am
Just Joined

Craggyfarm is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Your story is very similar to mine. I have taught senior maths, calculus and physics under a LAT for 2 years at one South Island NZ school where one of my pupils was the child of a National MP ! Having taught successfully (state and private) in the UK since 1993 and been turned down once so far by the Teachers Council (TC). I now have to move schools and look for other LTR (Long Term Reliever) positions. Don't give up trying to get Registered though as I know of one person, "Calbabe", who was a Teaching Assistant in the UK who was indeed granted Registration here in NZ, see:

http://www.emigratenz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8945

Calbabe also may be able to advise you further on creating a comprehensive package of evidence to submit with your Track 2 Application as the TC has "Special Discretionary Powers" for cases like ours!

For GTP advice see: http://www.teacherscouncil.govt.nz/c...ir20070704.stm

Good luck......
Old May 2nd 2010, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

Heavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Shevie
Great thread...
I have been in NZ for 2 years now and still fighting to be accepted via Track 2 as I too did the GTP training (2004).
My story is very long....but in brief I have applied for Track 2 twice and been turned down twice.
I am teaching on a LAT (Limited Authority to Teach) which allows me to hold fixed terms positions, but not get a permanent job. Also paid much less as others have mentioned, but hey, at least I am teaching.
I have found the NZTC very difficult to work with...every avenue I have looked into has failed so far.
Initially I was told that to be awarded Track 2 registration (yes, you still get paid less than someone who has a recognised teaching qual and would need to retrain from scratch to get it - ridiculous) you have to meet the 'Fitness to Teach' criteria and 'Satisfactory Teacher Dimensions' which I did but have now been told that if I had a post grad qual I might have got in - no mention was made of this at the time.
Despite appraisals from my current school where I teach Maths and Science and train other teachers the TC has turned me down because of my GTP (yes I did Track 2 because I do not have a recognised Teaching qual and was turned down for the same reason).
The TC has told me that it is the responsibility of each education provider to grant credit for prior learning - in other words the universities in NZ can cross-credit or sign off training / practicums etc that you have done but when I contacted Massey they said that the TC would not let them do this. Having waited this long I am not in a position to be able to retrain.
I have been going around in circles for 2 years now.
My MP is on the case.
I am NZ based, if you need any other info let me know. I intend to fight this, especially as the GTP scheme used to be accepted here, which TeachNZ says could not be the case. I have met with someone in person who is an HOD who completed the GTP scheme.
I will watch with great interest of the outcome of this as i know many teachers who wuld move to NZ, if the GTP is accepted.
Old May 5th 2010, 5:58 am
DGH
Danni

DGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really nice

Ok, sorry for very slow reply - don't check this site as often as I used to. Myself and OH are both secondary school PE teachers. I did a PGCE and he did a GTP in England. My PGCE was recognised by NZQA and Teachers Council no probs and I'm now teaching in Christchurch. OH went through Track 2 process, sent all requested info to NZQA/TC (massive amount of evidence including coursework/results/teaching placement info/professional development info - at a cost of 50 quid by the way!). A few weeks later he received a simple A4 letter saying that his registration request had been declined. The letter contained no explanation and no suggestions for what he would need to do to become registered - just a point blank no. We weren't giving up without a fight and so, after numerous phone calls, finally managed to get hold of head honcho at Teachers Council. She basically said that they were in the process of developing some kind of 'bridging course' to enable GTP students to teach in NZ (this was Feb 2009), and that we would have 3 options:
1) Wait for the bridging course to come along (who knows when?!)
2) Go back to uni and do a PGCE (if you can find a university that accepts you for a PGCE when you already have QTS - near impossible)
3) Re-train in NZ - Teaching diploma
(or give up trying!..........I added this one!)
Anyway, after long thought and research, we're now here in Christchurch and OH is at the NZ Graduate School of Education doing a Teaching Diploma (NZ equivalent of a PGCE). We chose to come to Christchurch as the Grad School here is the only institute in NZ (I think) that will pass you when they think you're ready, i.e. in less than a year if you're experienced like OH. The other good thing we have discovered is that once passed, the salary assessment people will recognise OH's 5 years teaching experience in UK and put him on the salary scale where he should be (instead of starting him as an NQT).
So, OH is one term in, finding it ok and hoping to be finished by August (not so bad).
Phew! hope this helps.....please don't hesitate to get in touch if you'd like more info.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.