Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Getting to NZ by sea ??

Getting to NZ by sea ??

Old May 8th 2009, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

bolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to behold
Default Getting to NZ by sea ??

Hi everyone - I have been trying to find out if there is anyway to get to NZ without flying. I can only find cruises which isn't what I need. I am trying to look at alternatives as my mum won't be able to fly over due to health problems, so I am trying to find alternatives so when we get over she is able to stay for a while & not just a stop off on a cruise schedule.
Old May 8th 2009, 9:35 pm
Account Closed

Stoof is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Getting to NZ by sea ??

i read somewhere last year (i think probs the weekend supplements) a story about travelling the world as passengers on a freight ship... you get a cabin, and eat with the officers rather than 'the men' and you get to use the facilities (the article reckoned most big container ships etc have gyms, running tracks, tv rooms etc). depending on the home port of the ship and therefore most of the crew, the quality/type of food etc can vary, but the article reckoned it was invariably good... cost was less than a 'cruise' of similar length, but more than flights. lentgth of voyage depended on home port and freight carried etc

it will have been guardian or observer i read it in, sure it was last year... i paid attention partly cos it intrigued me and sounded very early 1900's, that whole going off on a ship thing, but also cos we've got 'very green' friends who will refuse to fly and see us from the uk. it said something along the lines of most freight ships can carry between 6 and 12 'passengers' at a time.

HTH!! think it sounds like a potentially cool way to travel!!
Old May 8th 2009, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stoof
i read somewhere last year (i think probs the weekend supplements) a story about travelling the world as passengers on a freight ship... you get a cabin, and eat with the officers rather than 'the men' and you get to use the facilities (the article reckoned most big container ships etc have gyms, running tracks, tv rooms etc). depending on the home port of the ship and therefore most of the crew, the quality/type of food etc can vary, but the article reckoned it was invariably good... cost was less than a 'cruise' of similar length, but more than flights. lentgth of voyage depended on home port and freight carried etc

it will have been guardian or observer i read it in, sure it was last year... i paid attention partly cos it intrigued me and sounded very early 1900's, that whole going off on a ship thing, but also cos we've got 'very green' friends who will refuse to fly and see us from the uk. it said something along the lines of most freight ships can carry between 6 and 12 'passengers' at a time.

HTH!! think it sounds like a potentially cool way to travel!!

Exactly what I was going to say!!!!!! get in touch with the container vessel companies..or give it a go on google.
Old May 8th 2009, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

jack1971 is just really nicejack1971 is just really nicejack1971 is just really nicejack1971 is just really nicejack1971 is just really nicejack1971 is just really nicejack1971 is just really nicejack1971 is just really nicejack1971 is just really nicejack1971 is just really nicejack1971 is just really nice

Originally Posted by bolton1
Hi everyone - I have been trying to find out if there is anyway to get to NZ without flying. I can only find cruises which isn't what I need. I am trying to look at alternatives as my mum won't be able to fly over due to health problems, so I am trying to find alternatives so when we get over she is able to stay for a while & not just a stop off on a cruise schedule.
CONGRATULATIONS I can't help with the how to get to NZ other than flying bit, but i know how frustrating it is, my inlaws will not fly. I have sent you a PM!! When are you hoping to go?
Jackie
Old May 8th 2009, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

MrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant future

My parents bought a landrover in UK to drive to Singapore, ship it to Darwin, Drive to Brisbane and then ship to NZ. Had all the visas lined up for each country except for NZ and then they changed the visa requirements two weeks before they were going to apply. Ended up selling the Landrover, and flying. But still would be a trip of a lifetime. I'm guessing though that with the health problems, ship is the way to go!
Old May 9th 2009, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

You most certainly can get to NZ or indeed virtually anywhere in the World via a 'freight ship cruise'.

Do a google search on the same and you'll be enlightened...
Old May 9th 2009, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Here's one example http://www.cruisepeople.co.uk/col.htm
looks like fun!
Old May 9th 2009, 10:36 pm
Account Closed

Yotty is an unknown quantity at this point

I did the trip from Europe to Auckland via Panama with Bank line ... and then back with the now defunct CP. I'm not a fan of cruisepeople I found them useless... Strand Travel are the best IMHO.. http://www.strandtravel.co.uk/strand...=New%20Zealand
Old May 9th 2009, 11:58 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by j19fmm
Here's one example http://www.cruisepeople.co.uk/col.htm
looks like fun!
bloody expensive though, and I thought flying to the UK was!
Old May 10th 2009, 12:50 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by love30stm
bloody expensive though, and I thought flying to the UK was!
Thank you for that link and this thread. I'll email the link to my brother to show my mum. She's 76 and has a pacemaker and isn't meant to fly long distances. The year before last she made her way here by flying Heathrow to San Francisco and then Hawaii where she caught a cruise to Auckland. Spread out over 3 weeks she managed amazingly well and I thought she was jolly brave to do it. However, my dad (her ex) paid for her to do it and she couldn't afford to do it that way herself again.

This was a way she'd mentioned before so may well interest her.
Old May 10th 2009, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

dab2 is an unknown quantity at this point

link below may be of interest

http://www.seat61.com/Australia-overland.htm
Old May 10th 2009, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

bolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to behold

THANKYOU ALL - I am now busy doing further research & will post any info I find out
Old May 11th 2009, 9:21 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bolton1
THANKYOU ALL - I am now busy doing further research & will post any info I find out
On looking at the Strand Travel link their upper age limit is 75 - my mother turns 76 on Saturday ...
Old May 12th 2009, 10:41 am
Account Closed

Yotty is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
On looking at the Strand Travel link their upper age limit is 75 - my mother turns 76 on Saturday ...
Look at Voyage Ref A-RTW03 with Bank Line Dunkirk-Auckland Age limit 79!
Old May 12th 2009, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

Just being nosy and looked at the link to strand travel. Although it states in the first section upper age limit of 75 it then goes on to state that those between 76 and 80 can travel with a relevent medical certficate - worth investigating?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.