Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Getting on the NZ housing ladder

Getting on the NZ housing ladder

Old Mar 11th 2013, 7:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

GoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting on the NZ housing ladder

Originally Posted by M_and_M
An idea for sure, but I am a bit nervous to do that when as yet I do not know the cost of living, what my rent will be etc and what therefore I could afford to send back to the UK for bills.
Agreed, but on a more general note, you should at least make sure that you have a few UK credit cards to hand when you come over here (with 0% cash transfer facilities). They were invaluable in our first few months when cash flow was tight as we came with nothing like you.
Note - I am saying I used them to help with cash flow not a house deposit!!!
That said, they could have been used for that.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 6:06 am
BE Enthusiast

ellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Looking into a morgage offer, Kiwibank has just turned us down as they class our residency visa as 'temporary' - just interested from those who have managed to get a mortgage who you dealt with?
Old Apr 24th 2013, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

AndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond repute

We managed to get our mortgage while we were on WTR visas. We went with ASB. We already had a bank account with them before approaching for a mortgage and to be fair we had a bit more than the 5% deposit. The visa simply wasnt an issue and we have found ASB to be incredibly helpful over the years with everything from our mortgage to money transfer and insurance. Now if we pay the damn thing off life would be much easier! Another stint in the Middle East is needed
Old Apr 24th 2013, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

both times we bought we got a mortgage within 6 weeks of being in the country with Westpak, kiwi bank also turned us down even though we had PR