Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Getting my dogs to New Zealand

Getting my dogs to New Zealand

Old Feb 18th 2010, 10:57 am
Just Joined

lindam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting my dogs to New Zealand

As anybody here shipped there dogs to New Zealand from the UK?
If so what company? How much? etc.
Having problems finding an airline that will fly the dogs directly to Auckland.
Thanks
Old Feb 18th 2010, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

blackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to all
Default Re: Getting my dogs to New Zealand

You need to use a pet transport company, search on here, there has been loads of advise. I'm using petair based in the north but there are loads to choose from.

Dawn X
Old Feb 18th 2010, 1:55 pm
Just Joined

lindam is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Dawn Ive sent off for a few quotes but they all say the dogs will stay caged for almost two days I was trying to find one where the dog will either get there sooner or I can go on the same flight and get the dogs out at the stops.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 3:57 pm

Flower Pot is an unknown quantity at this point

We are using Golden Arrow pet shippers for our cat. My parents used them to ship their cat over too and the service was excellent.

http://www.goldenarrowshippers.com/

I believe all dogs are taken out at each stop and walked, its just cats and other animals that stay in the hold I'm sure I've read this somewhere but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I got various quotes from £1600 to £800, the cheapest one didnt arrange any vets tests or paperwork though. Golden Arrow was the best value at £1050 and includes EVERYTHING! They sort all the vets tests and do most of them, we just have to take the cat to our vets once for a dewormer and they will tell us what date

Be sure to get plenty of quotes and shop around!
Old Feb 18th 2010, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

Lee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lindam
Thanks Dawn Ive sent off for a few quotes but they all say the dogs will stay caged for almost two days I was trying to find one where the dog will either get there sooner or I can go on the same flight and get the dogs out at the stops.
I'm sure from when I've been asking around that the dogs are locked in the crate by the airport vet at this end and the lock is not broken untill they reach NZ. Also, some planes that fly via LA only stop to refuel this means that they dont unload the dogs and load them back on again. I think this is the route we will take. Hopefully it will be less time and less stress for our little man. I have to keep telling myself that because I'm dredding him having to fly Also if he doesnt come off the plane he cant get lost in transit There are a few companies that fly via LA, the one that we spoke to only fly via LA for the reasons mentioned was ladyhaye. Ladyhaye also said we can take him to the airport and watch him go into the crate, so we will leave him at the very last minute possible.

Hope this helps, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

zoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud of

Ive just got a quote from Golden Arrow, which were excellent. They dont allow you to break the seal at any point during tansit. Im happy to let my dog sleep the entire time, and would prefer people not to disturb her (she gets grumpy when woken up- like me!!)
All of this even though they have told me I wouldnt get her back out of NZ, as no flights will take a bulldog out of the country AND I would have to sign a disclaimer to assure I wont sue in case her breathing goes wrong on the flight.
Phone for some quotes and they will put your mind at rest Im sure!
Old Feb 18th 2010, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

blackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to all

They deffinatley do not let dogs out of the coge until NZ, I think all companies use Air New Zealand and if you talk to the pet movers you can arrange for the same flight with plenty of notice given.
I've been quoted Manchester to Auckland £1800 plus vet fees (approx£230) for a spaniel.

It's took me months to come to terms with her flying in the box for that long but the thought of leaving her is worst.

Hope this helps

Dawn X
Old Feb 18th 2010, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

forshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to all

As anybody here shipped there dogs to New Zealand from the UK?
If so what company? How much? etc.
Having problems finding an airline that will fly the dogs directly to Auckland.
Thanks
HI we have just booked our dalmatian in with golden arrow to fly on 31st March
She is going with golden arrow as so many positive posts on here - she is a large dalmation ( think dalmatian supermodel............. all legs) and its costing us £3003 - there will also be local vet fees too.
Expensive but fo peace of mind i feel she will get a good service and lands the day after us
and despite the scaryness for her when she hits that beach she will love it
forshy
Old Feb 18th 2010, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

zoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud of

My Bulldog is all flab, short and wide (Im covering her eyes as I type, so she doesnt get a complex!) Im thinking they must charge for the 4 man team to lift her.... Ive been quoted £1863, all in. Im quite impressed
Old Feb 18th 2010, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

forshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by zoexr
My Bulldog is all flab, short and wide (Im covering her eyes as I type, so she doesnt get a complex!) Im thinking they must charge for the 4 man team to lift her.... Ive been quoted £1863, all in. Im quite impressed

that made me laugh
Old Feb 18th 2010, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

we were trying to get the same flight as Ruby our 2 year old dally
however golden arrow made me think about things when they put too me......what if the plane is delayed or cargo has to be moved to another plane which can happen, its stressful enough going out there with the kids didnt want to have to think about that on top
We choose air newzealand due to luggage allowance and booked the flight however despite there being seats available the cargo was full so Ruby flys out the day after via Hong Kong
I have resigned myself to the fact she will come out the following day and so the stress is slightly reduced
hope this helps
forshy
Old Feb 18th 2010, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

NermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really nice

I'd ring Golden Arrow, they are very very patient with neurotic owners like I was and answered loads and loads of questions. I decided not to fly on the same plane as my dogs for the extra stress it would have caused me. You just have to trust they are in safe hands and what's 30-40 hours compared with the rest of their lives in a beautiful place.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

Lee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud of

You just have to trust they are in safe hands and what's 30-40 hours compared with the rest of their lives in a beautiful place.
Its probably going to be the longest couple of days ever when our dog takes his flight but thats exactly what i keep telling myself, its just a couple of days out of his whole lifetime and it will be so worth it ... not sure our little man will be thinking that during his journey, he's scared of his own shadow, bless him
Old Feb 19th 2010, 3:51 am
Forum Regular

kimberleyclarke2 is a name known to allkimberleyclarke2 is a name known to allkimberleyclarke2 is a name known to allkimberleyclarke2 is a name known to allkimberleyclarke2 is a name known to allkimberleyclarke2 is a name known to allkimberleyclarke2 is a name known to allkimberleyclarke2 is a name known to allkimberleyclarke2 is a name known to allkimberleyclarke2 is a name known to allkimberleyclarke2 is a name known to all

Hi

We used Animal Couriers who were very good. For a quite tall staffy cross they charged about £1800 and then vet bills of about £400 on top. I was really nervous as our dog is quite nervous of strangers - men in particular, especially in bright jackets, etc! Also I didnt know how she would cope with the noise of taking off, etc. However, when I get scared on a plane its because I think the plane is going to fall out of the sky, whereas the dog doesnt actually know she is on a plane, so cant have that same fear!

We had my daughters dog go first with the same company, and it is quite stressful getting all the blood and poo tests completed within the time frame. When we took her to Heathrow (flight was via LA to Auckland) the vet who checked her thought there was a blood test missing and said she wouldnt be able to fly. If we had been booked on that same flight, I would have been having kittens! However, it was all fine and she went with no problems.

With our dog, my daughter and I flew out on the Sunday and the dog left the following Thursday, so I could take her to do all the tests at the vet and my husband, who is coming later, just had to take her for the results, a last check up and then off to the airport, so she arrived 4 days after us, was not tired, had no jet lag and was very happy to run around for a bit and then eat a little. I was SO relieved to pick her up and for the staff to tell me she was ok

My husband had fun taking her to the airport though! He stopped halfway to give her a run, and she managed her favourite pasttime of rolling in fox poo!! He tried to wipe her down with an old towel, but that stuff stinks!! He then sprayed her with lynx deodorant!! When he arrived at the airport, she had another run by the canal, disappeared after a rabbit and came back limping!! She was ok though and I think she must have slept the whole way here. £ weeks on and she is loving it here, apart from the heat sometimes. So don't worry all of you about to send beloved furry friends off - they will be ok

Good luck with it all, and please ask me any questions about the process.

Love Lindsay
Old Feb 19th 2010, 4:26 am
Forum Regular

Him and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of light

I've just shipped my cats over fromthe uk...different i know...with Ladyhaye, they're based in suffolk and meet you at the airport if it's easier for you.

They were very good and extremly helpful, they gave me the choice of using their vet or my own for the papers.. (i went with my own cause the cost worked out cheaper).

There are a lot of companies out there, like some have said Golden arrow are very good to, the best thing to do is get several quotes and take it from there...I found golden Arrow to middle of the road for price but very reasuring about what they like.

Good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.