British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Getting married in the UK (currently living in NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/getting-married-uk-currently-living-nz-737389/)

celeliza Oct 31st 2011 6:14 am

Getting married in the UK (currently living in NZ)

Hi,

Just curious if any poms are married/engaged to a kiwi living in New Zealand and whether they are planning to get married (or have got hitched) in the UK?

Me (a pom) is engaged to a kiwi and we are living in Auckland. After a long time deciding when and where, we finally decided to get married in a civil ceremony (hotel) next September in England.

After contacting the Registrar at my hometown in the UK, we have been given new information, that we would have to be in the UK at least 7 days before we give notice to marry. Then on the 8th day, we can go in person to give notice - again it's back to the waiting game with 15 days to sit back until we can marry.

So, the total amount of time to stay in the UK is around 3 weeks. We had hoped to go on a honeymoon for 2 weeks if we arrive in the UK closer to the wedding day. If we have to go with the rules, then we would have to be away for at least 5-6 weeks and I'm not too sure my employer will let me have the time off.

I wondered if there is something we can do in New Zealand like giving notice at the embassy or something before we head to the UK?

It's driving me crazy! :ohmy:

If you can share your own experiences/advice, I'd love to hear from you!

Cheers,

lardyl Oct 31st 2011 6:27 am

Re: Getting married in the UK (currently living in NZ)

You could dispense with tradition and take the honeymoon in the couple of weeks before you do the ceremony thing, then have a night at a real posh place after the event. Assuming you don't have to remain outside the registry office for 15 days beforehand.....:sneaky:

DC10 Oct 31st 2011 6:27 am

It's tricky, because they are terrified of shams

You used to need a licence, but apparently that has changed recently

It's not 100% clear (to me) from the last point (following the link) whether they are saying that your partner would need a special visa to enter the UK for this purpose, or whether they just mean that if he were from a country which normally requires a UK visa (say, India) then he would still need to do that

welshrgeordie Oct 31st 2011 8:00 am

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 9705656)
You could dispense with tradition and take the honeymoon in the couple of weeks before you do the ceremony thing, then have a night at a real posh place after the event. Assuming you don't have to remain outside the registry office for 15 days beforehand.....:sneaky:

yeah thsts we did ...honeymoon in pahia 1st then married after .....it worked for us ...we were on a 4 week holiday to NZ....Bloody great :-)

welshrgeordie Oct 31st 2011 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by welshrgeordie (Post 9705739)
yeah thsts we did ...honeymoon in pahia 1st then married after .....it worked for us ...we were on a 4 week holiday to NZ....Bloody great :-)

ooops Paihia ....get it right lol