Getting married

Old Aug 13th 2007, 7:52 am

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting married

Has anyone here got married after their visas were granted but before they moved to NZ (so whilst they were still in the UK)?

Just wondered how much hassle it would be... i cant imagine it would affect the visa. Not like we are separating.....but in fact making a further commitment. Either that or we wait and do it in NZ. (presuming thats allowed?!)

What are perceptions of people who cohabit and are not married (in NZ). Is it acceptable or is marriage preferred. THe kids dont get a hard time at school do they?

Thanks for your input, Kate.
Old Aug 13th 2007, 8:22 am
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting married

Oh, so you're living in sin, right? Tsk, tsk.

Actually, 'de facto' is more recognised here than in the UK. All paperwork here (banks, insurance, whatever else) in amongst divorced, married, etc also include de facto. As you're probably aware, the length of time you've been living together is far more important than whether you've been made an honest woman of. Do it in the UK, do it here, do it in some far flung pacific island in a white bikini, it'll make no difference to your application. Don't do it at all, and I'm pretty sure your kids will survive the playground on the basis of their folks not being married.

Good luck!
Old Aug 13th 2007, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

We arnt married but never had any negative comments passed about it. I get called Mrs L all the time and sometimes I say "well, we arnt actually married.." and sometimes I just go along with it and let them call me Mrs.

We have said we will get married at some stage.... in fact, we'd like to go back to the UK in the next 2 or 3 years and get married there so all our rellies and close friends can be there.

Nobody seems to give a monkeys to be honest.
Old Aug 13th 2007, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

RedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to all

I got married a couple of month's ago and I was hoping to get some sympathy points on our EOI - but we didn't!

We'd been together 10.5 years before we got around to it!
Old Aug 13th 2007, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedMonsk
I got married a couple of month's ago and I was hoping to get some sympathy points on our EOI - but we didn't!

We'd been together 10.5 years before we got around to it!
Good on ya for getting married. Trying to work out how long we've been together..... ermmm.... OK quite a few years but not sure how many? Hey I am blonde!
Old Aug 13th 2007, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

RedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to all

We got married on 1st June (hoping that is one date hubby can remember!). I think it was just an excuse for a party, but it was a lovely day. We had the reception in a friend's garden (the only person I know in the UK with a pool!) and they then surprised us with fireworks at the end of the night and a long weekend in Spain - without kids!

Really lovely day and I guess I am secretly a bit old-fashioned! Must be the catholic in me! Also, I prefer referring to Steve is my husband, rather than 'other half' or 'partner' - it never seemed to roll off the tongue!
Old Aug 13th 2007, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

I have got used to saying My Partner now. On here I call him OH.

I'm sure we will get married soon..... he didnt run a mile when I suggested we ought to tie the knot! But it would be nice to go back to Peterborough to do it.... it will also please my parents no end too!!
Old Aug 13th 2007, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SarahB
I have got used to saying My Partner now. On here I call him OH.

I'm sure we will get married soon..... he didnt run a mile when I suggested we ought to tie the knot! But it would be nice to go back to Peterborough to do it.... it will also please my parents no end too!!
My parents were a nightmare!

My mum nearly didn't turn up! When I asked if she could possibly throw a few boxes of Rose wine in the boot when she came over (she lives in France), she emailed back saying that I only got in contact with her when I wanted something! :curse:

My dad nearly didn't turn up! Because my stepmother threw a strop about not receiving a proper invitation to my hen weekend. The reason she wasn't invited was because I initially thought my mum was going to be there and they have had their clashes in the past! My dad responded by saying that if Jackie didn't go, he didn't feel he could either! :curse:

It all turned out okay in the end, but my parents behaviour is something I will never forget!
Old Aug 13th 2007, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

They can be a nightmare cant they!? Back in the UK every Christmas we would upset one set of parents as we couldnt be in 2 places at the same time for Christmas lunch.... so had to alternate every year.
Old Aug 13th 2007, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

They can be a nightmare cant they!? Back in the UK every Christmas we would upset one set of parents as we couldnt be in 2 places at the same time for Christmas lunch.... so had to alternate every year.
Mmm, it can be difficult! Neither of Steve's parents are alive now - we do miss them!

But having divorced parents is just as awkward! It got easier when mum and her fella moved to the Lake District and now France!

I'm off to France to see her tomorrow with the kids! Steve is sensibly staying here! The last time we all went to the Lake District, he ended up spending the whole week fitting a new kitchen for them and not so much as a four pack as a thank you!
Old Aug 13th 2007, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

I dont blame him for not wanting to go then. A trip to France sounds like fun, I hope the weather will be nice for you.

Being here solved the Christmas meal dilemma.... but its more boring now and very odd as its usually pretty warm too in December.
Old Aug 13th 2007, 10:08 am

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RedMonsk
My parents were a nightmare!

My mum nearly didn't turn up! When I asked if she could possibly throw a few boxes of Rose wine in the boot when she came over (she lives in France), she emailed back saying that I only got in contact with her when I wanted something! :curse:

My dad nearly didn't turn up! Because my stepmother threw a strop about not receiving a proper invitation to my hen weekend. The reason she wasn't invited was because I initially thought my mum was going to be there and they have had their clashes in the past! My dad responded by saying that if Jackie didn't go, he didn't feel he could either! :curse:

It all turned out okay in the end, but my parents behaviour is something I will never forget!
i was married ten years ago. my mother went around my guests telling them i was a slut and she denies it to this day. yet i still get people telling me all about it! needless to say she shant be invited to this one. (3 boyfriends in my life - what a hussy!!)
Old Aug 13th 2007, 10:15 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

I dont blame him for not wanting to go then. A trip to France sounds like fun, I hope the weather will be nice for you.

Being here solved the Christmas meal dilemma.... but its more boring now and very odd as its usually pretty warm too in December.
We snuck off and got married with 2 witnesses having already had 2 kids. We had them covered with rellies for 2 weeks for a holiday on our own which we decided better be a honeymoon! Had to face parents upon return and explain sudden ring on finger. Mother went through denied Mother of the Bride routine, Dad wrote a cheque for the money he'd saved on us not having a big "do!" Divorced parents eh?!

2 more kids later just celebrated 12 years of marriage, it'll be 20 years of knowing each other come November this year - we were best mates for a couple of years! And still are!! (Can't find smilie for "puke?")

Have to say, I love being married, I love being Mrs, I love our little (big) mad family unit. GO FOR IT - wherever, whenever, doesn't matter!!!
Old Aug 13th 2007, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
We snuck off and got married with 2 witnesses having already had 2 kids. We had them covered with rellies for 2 weeks for a holiday on our own which we decided better be a honeymoon! Had to face parents upon return and explain sudden ring on finger. Mother went through denied Mother of the Bride routine, Dad wrote a cheque for the money he'd saved on us not having a big "do!" Divorced parents eh?!

2 more kids later just celebrated 12 years of marriage, it'll be 20 years of knowing each other come November this year - we were best mates for a couple of years! And still are!! (Can't find smilie for "puke?")

Have to say, I love being married, I love being Mrs, I love our little (big) mad family unit. GO FOR IT - wherever, whenever, doesn't matter!!!
I received the princely sum of £150 from my dad and have been told by my mum that I will get my wedding present when she has paid off her overdraft!

Hubby and I were also friends for a couple of years before getting together!
Old Aug 13th 2007, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Yeah we will do one day!

My parents have their Golden Wedding Anniversary next August!! Wish I could go back for the party.... might try to persuade OH to go back for a couple of weeks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.