Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Getting a job offer

Getting a job offer

Old Aug 29th 2016, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

Chipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Getting a job offer

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
You sure ?
85 is an awful low score considering you have 15 years IT experience in an area of long term skill shortage.
I'd say you are calculating the points incorrectly.
I didn't think SAP was popular in NZ.aybe I have calculated it wrong but I didn't see extra points for SAP.
Old Aug 29th 2016, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

Applying for and using a temp visa t get over there and work while waiting for long term SMC or WTR visa to process is how most people seem to have to do it. However, there's no guarantee you'll be given a permanent residency visa just because you're there and working on a temporary one. This might influence what you do with regard to family moving and selling up in the UK.
If you read the boards lots of people do it in different ways from partner working in NZ with everything else staying the same in the UK until permanent visas are there right through to selling up and everyone moving over knowing they might not be allowed to stay but it will be a great adventure anyway.
We're currently trapped in the endless black hole of no job offer meaning not enough points to apply for a visa but no visa meaning no job offer.
Old Aug 29th 2016, 8:56 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

It's a bit of a chicken/egg situation with jobs - does the job offer or visa come first? My partner received a job offer from an accredited employer so had a work to residency visa, I came out on a working holiday visa as I was 28 at the time (it was cheaper for me to do it this way than be a partner on a WTR visa). Then after 6 months we applied for permanent residency under the skilled migrant route by submitting expression of interest. I was then added as a partner to his permanent residency application.

It was all quite straight forward for us, but my partner is on the skills shortage list and an offer from an accredited employer allowed it to be easy. The large majority of businesses here don't know much about visas or the whole immigration process so can be difficult (but not impossible) if not accredited.
Old Aug 30th 2016, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

I needed to check this today so thought it might be useful to pop the link in here too. If you have a job offer from an accredited employer it makes visa application and processing easier.

List of Accredited Employers
Old Aug 30th 2016, 10:37 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

If you are not on the skills list the only other way to enter is to gain an offer from an accredited company. Obviously apart from partnership,WHV, family stream, entrepreneur.

You can't just get any job offer