Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Getting the container!! Help!!

Getting the container!! Help!!

Old Sep 13th 2007, 6:31 am
Just Joined

chelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nice
Default Getting the container!! Help!!

Hi there, we have some friends who have moved to New Zealand and are staying with us in Tauranga. Their container is scheduled to arrive Monday. We have been told the rules for accessing it and unloading it are now different.

Basically it is a 40 footer with two cars, a mnotorbike and all of their stuff on board. Can anyone help as to where we start. If I recall correctly, we went to MAF, showed them the inventory, they wanted to check our car and one or two toher things, we went to the secure area, opened up the container, got the vehicle out, they checked it, signed it off. We went with that apperwork to Customs, paid a few bucks and then went, loaded the car onto a trailer, closed the ocntainer and a big Tonka toy came and picked it up and delivered it to where we instructed....

Has it changed?? Pur friends have been told it must be completely unloaded in the secure MAF area...? 40 foot with wooden structures for the cars and all the boxes is going to take days not hours and they only have a three day window?

Any advice MASSIVELY gratefully we received - we have a couple of panicky new Kiwis here!!!

Cheers,
Chelsey
Old Sep 13th 2007, 11:32 am
life finally begins in NZ

sarahlou2411 is a jewel in the roughsarahlou2411 is a jewel in the roughsarahlou2411 is a jewel in the roughsarahlou2411 is a jewel in the rough
Red face Re: Getting the container!! Help!!

Originally Posted by chelsey
Hi there, we have some friends who have moved to New Zealand and are staying with us in Tauranga. Their container is scheduled to arrive Monday. We have been told the rules for accessing it and unloading it are now different.

Basically it is a 40 footer with two cars, a mnotorbike and all of their stuff on board. Can anyone help as to where we start. If I recall correctly, we went to MAF, showed them the inventory, they wanted to check our car and one or two toher things, we went to the secure area, opened up the container, got the vehicle out, they checked it, signed it off. We went with that apperwork to Customs, paid a few bucks and then went, loaded the car onto a trailer, closed the ocntainer and a big Tonka toy came and picked it up and delivered it to where we instructed....

Has it changed?? Pur friends have been told it must be completely unloaded in the secure MAF area...? 40 foot with wooden structures for the cars and all the boxes is going to take days not hours and they only have a three day window?

Any advice MASSIVELY gratefully we received - we have a couple of panicky new Kiwis here!!!

Cheers,
Chelsey
Personally I would give the port where the container is arriving a phone call and ask them straight.

Our part container arrived 14 days ago, maf have checked it which took 2/3 days. Still not had delivery to our address in Wellington confirmed, despite Maf signing everything off and confirming receipt of $200 to check over four spotlessly clean mountain bikes!! They are really busy but are helpful if you call them and push politely
We didnt ship much...4x bikes 3x bed frames and two boxes (wash machine size) with personal stuff in them. Hardly a complicated shipment compared to cars and motorbikes....give them a call

Old Sep 13th 2007, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

Here comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really nice
Default Re: Getting the container!! Help!!

Originally Posted by sarahlou2411
Personally I would give the port where the container is arriving a phone call and ask them straight.

Our part container arrived 14 days ago, maf have checked it which took 2/3 days. Still not had delivery to our address in Wellington confirmed, despite Maf signing everything off and confirming receipt of $200 to check over four spotlessly clean mountain bikes!! They are really busy but are helpful if you call them and push politely
We didnt ship much...4x bikes 3x bed frames and two boxes (wash machine size) with personal stuff in them. Hardly a complicated shipment compared to cars and motorbikes....give them a call

Hi can i be cheeky and ask what you paid for your container? from what you described its a similar amount of stuff to what we would be taking, im trying to work out if its cheaper to sell everything or ship it!
Old Sep 13th 2007, 7:42 pm
life finally begins in NZ

sarahlou2411 is a jewel in the roughsarahlou2411 is a jewel in the roughsarahlou2411 is a jewel in the roughsarahlou2411 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Getting the container!! Help!!

Originally Posted by Here comes the sun
Hi can i be cheeky and ask what you paid for your container? from what you described its a similar amount of stuff to what we would be taking, im trying to work out if its cheaper to sell everything or ship it!

we sold all our furniture and household items as most needed replacing. We decided to bring the items i listed in previous posting. The boxes contain dvd's cd's and some other personal items. I had a large collection of films and music which i wasn't happy to leave behind. The second box contains motorbike stuff. four helmets, leather jackets and pants etc. also four snow jackets that we bought in th uk from tk max. four mountain bikes were half price at halfords so was worth getting them.

part Container cost just over £900, hubby bartered and i wouldnt :curse: recommend the company we used. we have then paid $200 to get the stuff cleared by the MAF. so your looking at around £1000.

People on the forum have had different experiences. It might be worth posting a general question to compare answers or read through past threads to see what peoples opinion is. some people bring everything some bring the shirt they have on

Hope this helped