Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Getting a bank account

Getting a bank account

Old Jul 6th 2013, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

Engel is just really niceEngel is just really niceEngel is just really niceEngel is just really niceEngel is just really niceEngel is just really niceEngel is just really niceEngel is just really nice
Default Re: Getting a bank account

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
What a pain in the bottom.

To cut a long story short; thought, was advised (on here and by other expats and NZers, no blame attached) and the fact my wife set one up whilst being being a UK resident last November that setting up an account required just a couple of proofs of ID.

WRONG!!

Annoyingly, NZ legislation changed in April so it's up to date with the rest of the world in needing a proof of address before setting up an account (hence no blame being attached here on BE).

So, make sure you have this before you try and set one up. Better still, have a go at setting one up before you leave the UK.

I'm sure some people will turn up without a permanent address with a view to finding a rental/something to buy at least to start with, so be aware.

Luckily for me the wife has an account, so she's the chancellor. For now ...

I had no problem setting up my Westpac account in May. I transfered some funds to it via FX and when I arrived I wnt into a branch. The next day I got a Efpos card, but had to wait a couple of weeks to get a debit card. Since I was staying at the YMCA with no main address they allowed me to pick up the card from the branch. In the meantime I had moved from the YMCA to Albany and they just forwarded the debit card from the City to the Albany branch. Easy. Their online banking is real easy to use too.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 9:26 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Getting a bank account

Why do they need to verify where people live (i.e. why is it now in legislation), surely a conman who goes to the extreme effort of making fake ID to open a bank account isn't going to then use his real address? He'll just photoshop a new bank statement.
Old Jul 11th 2013, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Why do they need to verify where people live (i.e. why is it now in legislation), surely a conman who goes to the extreme effort of making fake ID to open a bank account isn't going to then use his real address? He'll just photoshop a new bank statement.
My thoughts exactly.

To do with some Money Laundering Act, apparently.
Old Jul 11th 2013, 1:05 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
My thoughts exactly.

To do with some Money Laundering Act, apparently.
Anti-Money Laundering and Countering Financing of Terrorism Act of 2009.
Standard customer due diligence: identity requirements
A reporting entity must obtain the following identity information in relation to the persons referred to in section 11(1):
(a) the person's full name; and

(b) the person's date of birth; and

(c) if the person is not the customer, the person's relationship to the customer; and

(d) the person's address or registered office; and

(e) the person's company identifier or registration number; and

(f) any information prescribed by regulations.
That said I notice this section is a bit confusing:
14 Circumstances when standard customer due diligence applies
A reporting entity must conduct standard customer due diligence in the following circumstances:

(a) if the reporting entity establishes a business relationship with a new customer:

(b) if a customer seeks to conduct an occasional transaction through the reporting entity...
However I've never been asked to provide ID when transacting regardless of how infrequently the transaction has taken place? e.g. I can deposit at a bank without any ID.
Old Jul 11th 2013, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

However I've never been asked to provide ID when transacting regardless of how infrequently the transaction has taken place? e.g. I can deposit at a bank without any ID.
Presumably you've got the odd password tucked away with them that they can check this with you?
Old Jul 11th 2013, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

wendy_woo is just really nicewendy_woo is just really nicewendy_woo is just really nicewendy_woo is just really nicewendy_woo is just really nicewendy_woo is just really nicewendy_woo is just really nicewendy_woo is just really nice

Originally Posted by janiejones
Phew, that was lucky. We organised an account through the New Migrant service with ANZ, mainly to get the baggage deal, but it meant we had all our ducks in a row before we arrived. I would imagine that most of the big banks would offer this, but it may take a bit of research.
What's the "baggage deal" - we have an ANZ account now and looking to move in August and looking for a baggage deal!! Have I missed something, should I have applied through "new migrant service"?
Old Jul 11th 2013, 4:45 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Anti-Money Laundering and Countering Financing of Terrorism Act of 2009.

That said I notice this section is a bit confusing:
I have never been asked for ID when depositing anything in my account even though that is very rare. It's usually a Christmas cheque from the NZ inlaws so isn't enough to class me as some sort of money launderer
Money is going into the bank so it's less of a risk to them I suppose.

However I have had to show ID when taking out cash in another currency.
Old Jul 11th 2013, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by wendy_woo
What's the "baggage deal" - we have an ANZ account now and looking to move in August and looking for a baggage deal!! Have I missed something, should I have applied through "new migrant service"?
When you open a anz account if you fly with emirates you get double baggage allowance, 50kg each, however it only lands in Auckland or Christchurch
Old Jul 12th 2013, 5:54 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moonie2011
When you open a anz account if you fly with emirates you get double baggage allowance, 50kg each, however it only lands in Auckland or Christchurch
If everything is booked at the same time then I'm sure that your luggage allowance is carried onto any domestic flights in NZ so this wouldn't be a problem. You'd have to book it through a travel agent or online site such as Expedia though rather than Emirates directly.

•If you have a connecting flight on the same ticket, your baggage may be through-checked if Air New Zealand has a baggage transfer agreement with the other airline.

Please refer to your electronic ticket which shows your checked baggage allowance and which carrier’s allowances and charges apply.

If you are connecting from another airline to an Air New Zealand flight on separate tickets, please contact the other airline to determine if your baggage may be through checked.
So it may not be a problem if Wendy is moving somewhere other than Chch or Auckland and plans to fly domestically on AirNZ. Worth checking up on this though as I don't want to be the one responsible if it isn't allowed!!
Old Jul 13th 2013, 1:15 am
Forum Regular

janiejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond repute

We had x2 suitcases each, and did it in this order:

Opened babk account with ANZ through the migrant services branch, who gave us a code;

Booked one way flights with Emirates over the phone;

Emailed Emirates a copy of our visas and the code, they emailed back confirmation of 50kg each;

Booked onward flights from CHCH to WLG with AIR NZ and paid for the extra suitcases at the same time.

Emirates won't be able to book you onward flights (that's what they told me) so you'll have to clear Immigration and Quarantine first. Make sure you leave plenty of time between the two, if you're travelling on the same day. We had a few days in CHCH to get over our jetlag.

Hope this helps.
Old Jul 13th 2013, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Probably of no help but Malaysia Airlines give you 30kg luggage and 7kg hand luggage, DD went 9kg over and was only charged £63. So still works out cheaper than Emirates airfares x
Just a thought x
Old Jul 14th 2013, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by j19fmm
Probably of no help but Malaysia Airlines give you 30kg luggage and 7kg hand luggage, DD went 9kg over and was only charged £63. So still works out cheaper than Emirates airfares x
Just a thought x
They are cheaper for air fares but when I checked them when I originally emigrated in April, their excess charges were, quite frankly, laughable. So I didn't bother using them.
Old Jul 14th 2013, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

Chippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really nice

We're heading out to ChCh in December for me to check out the work situation, our old National bank accts will be long since closed, reading this is it possible to go into Westpac in London and open an account with a UK address as we aren't going to have a permenant NZ address for quite a while? Ok i know i should ring Westpac but thought someone on here might have done the same already...Thanks
Old Jul 14th 2013, 7:21 pm
HPP
Just Joined

HPP is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Chippy Giles
We're heading out to ChCh in December for me to check out the work situation, our old National bank accts will be long since closed, reading this is it possible to go into Westpac in London and open an account with a UK address as we aren't going to have a permenant NZ address for quite a while? Ok i know i should ring Westpac but thought someone on here might have done the same already...Thanks
Yes, we did but I did have a firm job offer, not sure that makes any difference though. We opened a savings account online and went into London to validate identities and also open joint current account with passports and utility bill showing proof of UK address. We can now access these online in the UK and transfer money in but you have to pick up ATM cards from your NZ branch... obviously. They couldn't have been more helpful.
Old Jul 14th 2013, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chippy Giles
As I said I opened the account online in the UK then once in NZ I went into a Westpac branch with my passport and utility bill from UK as proof of identity. We don't have a permanent address yet and have still managed to open a business and joint account with ANZ and be approved for a mortgage with them.
I'm finding most 'legal' things easier here, most are done online and scans and emails seem the norm. IRD numbers are done at the AA shop.
Only thing we haven't done yet is change our UK drivers licenses over, waiting until we move to our new home. x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.