Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Get out as soon as you can!

Get out as soon as you can!

Old Jul 6th 2008, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

JoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to all
Default Re: Get out as soon as you can!

Yummy mummy, what rights do people with a different melanin level to you have in the UK that you don't have? A ridiculous statement to make.

Ozziedoc, as a scot who can't speak Gaelic , I'm sure there are lots of New Zealanders who can't speak Maori. That's not to say I will not try. On a visit to New Zealand, I thought a lot of maori words I heard sounded 'Scottish' in pronunciation so hopefully it may be easier for me.

By the way, as an immigrant to the UK what free car did you get?
Old Jul 6th 2008, 9:12 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catkin09
Good, but EVERYONE should have to do it.

Catkin
Not if they're a European or an asylum seeker they shouldn't.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 9:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit

As I work in a school and my husband in health care we've both had the opportunity to pick up some understanding of common phrases, but not much more. My understanding is that the new school curriculum talks about using Te Reo Maori to a much greater extent than common phrases alone, but I might be wrong about that.
I suspect that Maori will become more popular or at least understood over the next decades, as I understand Welsh has.

You'll have to keep us posted!
Old Jul 6th 2008, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

Catkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Not if they're a European or an asylum seeker they shouldn't.
YES they should!

What if they have a criminal record for murder, rape or child abuse?

Would you be happy with them living next door to you? I know I wouldn't!

But I would always welcome honest hard working people from where ever they come in the world.

Catkin
Old Jul 6th 2008, 9:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoJo76

Ozziedoc, as a scot who can't speak Gaelic , I'm sure there are lots of New Zealanders who can't speak Maori. That's not to say I will not try. On a visit to New Zealand, I thought a lot of maori words I heard sounded 'Scottish' in pronunciation so hopefully it may be easier for me.
Yes, that's true.

To some extent your comment highlights one of my (off on a tangent!) frustrations - poor use of the English language by native English speakers. That is, native English speakers who expect immigrants to be eloquent in this language, yet have limited grasp of the language themselves. (I appreciate that this is tangential, and truly is not intended to be inflammatory.)

My utopia includes everyone being able to speak at least three languages

I'm sure that your 'Scottish' can only help you learn new languages
Old Jul 6th 2008, 9:21 pm
Chocoholic

Yummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JoJo76
Yummy mummy, what rights do people with a different melanin level to you have in the UK that you don't have? A ridiculous statement to make.

By the way, as an immigrant to the UK what free car did you get?
Jojo I'm not going to argue with you. You obviously dont live in a part of Glasgow that is affected by this.

I merely made a point/statement/experience and i should not be abused by you or anyone else as it was the truth and fact.

I could mention 1 thing - the housing list, not that i personally need it but many glaswegians do. Maybe you should ask the people living at the Red Road flats what their views are! Or the families living in temporary accomodation waiting for a house.

Its obvious that not ALL immigrants get equal treatment, however in my opinion they should. So if 1 gets £5000 to spend on a car, then maybe everyone should. Its about creating an equlibrium and keeping everyone running to the same rules.

Inconsistent rules create a divide, similar to what is happening here!
Old Jul 6th 2008, 9:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Catkin09
YES they should!

What if they have a criminal record for murder, rape or child abuse?

Would you be happy with them living next door to you? I know I wouldn't!

But I would always welcome honest hard working people from where ever they come in the world.

Catkin
I don't know where you are living now, but I suspect a good proportion of the native-born population living within a 20 mile radius of your home has a serious criminal record.

There are 25 such people with paedophile offences living within a three-mile radius of our home in California....in a very nice part of our city, not high density. (We know this because the information is in the public domain.)
Old Jul 6th 2008, 9:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Yummy_Mummy

Its obvious that not ALL immigrants get equal treatment, however in my opinion they should. So if 1 gets £5000 to spend on a car, then maybe everyone should. Its about creating an equlibrium and keeping everyone running to the same rules.
This is where I disagree with you. Life is NOT "fair". Some people have greater needs than others. It is NOT about creating an equilibrium.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 9:42 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

what a horrible, ugly thread.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 9:47 pm
Chocoholic

Yummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
This is where I disagree with you. Life is NOT "fair". Some people have greater needs than others. It is NOT about creating an equilibrium.
Well lets agree to disagree. We are all entitled to our own opinions. Its what makes us individual!

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
I don't know where you are living now, but I suspect a good proportion of the native-born population living within a 20 mile radius of your home has a serious criminal record.

There are 25 such people with paedophile offences living within a three-mile radius of our home in California....in a very nice part of our city, not high density. (We know this because the information is in the public domain.).
Yes so surely you wouldnt want anymore??
Old Jul 6th 2008, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

JoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to all

Yummy I'm sorry if you feel it's a personal attack. It's not. I Live in the East End of Glasgow and I also work in health care in the East End so my life is greatly affected by immigrants and immigration.

Most of my experiences have been positive.

The only negative experience I have is witnessing the racism of my fellow glaswegians towards new immigrants.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 10:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well lets agree to disagree. We are all entitled to our own opinions. Its what makes us individual!

Yes so surely you wouldnt want anymore??
Actually, my unspoken point is that having such people live near me has no impact on my life whatsoever, so I wouldn't be bothered about it.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

Bourbon, one of my concerns are the different physical boundaries that non european people may have.

It's so easy to inadvertently offend or cause more discomfort than necessary in my job.

Hope your dinner guest can get over the centuries of oppression meated out to white males in this world
Old Jul 6th 2008, 10:12 pm

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you should ask the people living at the Red Road flats what their views are!
This is exactly the point I was making earlier. The Red Road flats are some of the bleakest housing in the developed world and are home to some of the most underprivileged people you'll ever see. But they were like that pretty much the minute they were built in the 1960's, long before we could blame everything on Polish people and 'asylum seekers'.

The flats have recently been privatised and the new owners basically want to get rid of all the tenants and build 'yuppie flats' on the land (after demolishing the original tower blocks).

Now, the Glaswegians living in the flats at the moment can blame immigration policies as much as they want, but the real 'villain' is government housing policy and privatisation. But it's all a bit too complicated and depressing to blame those in power when we can just blame people who have been in the country a year and are as powerless as we are.

Anyway, back to New Zealand. It's basically like the UK in the 1970's. A corrupt labour government presiding over loads of poor racist white people coming to terms as best they can with a wave of immigration. It has, as may have been said before, some nice scenery and there isn't any CCTV and children haven't started stabbing each other yet.

The country has terrible problems with housing and health issues, and drugs, and race attacks, and gangsters, and civil fraud, and poverty in general but the average white immigrant probably won't notice this too much assuming they live in a nice part of the country.

And as for white Kiwis speaking Maori....you are having a laugh. Any 'Pakeha' who gained fluency in Maori would make the front page of the newspaper (good luck, RobClubley!) Maori only became an official language in New Zealand in 1987 after years of decline due, mostly, to schools punishing any student who didn't speak English. The idea of white Kiwis and Maoris being equal in New Zealand has only really developed in the last 20 years and you'll find plenty of whites out here who are still really uncomfortable with Maori issues.

Last edited by Avid; Jul 6th 2008 at 10:17 pm.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

scousemartin has a spectacular aura aboutscousemartin has a spectacular aura aboutscousemartin has a spectacular aura about

I dont think laws should be changed for ANY immigrant moving into any country.

I want to move from UK to NZ! But I am not gonna go there and insist that i must live under Scottish Law! AND i would not expect NZ Government to change it just for me!! So why should UK laws change for others?

I think its very much of a "in Rome, do as the Romans do".

If they want to immigrate to the UK then, fine, but abide by our ways and our laws.

I think the Government is creating animosity by even thinking about these changes, and it is not the fault of the people coming in. So like OP said... get out asap!
Who says muslims in britain are immigrants?
Jewish people and Quakers can use their religion to carry out some legal acts, why not muslims?

SM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.