Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

To get a car or not?

To get a car or not?

Old Aug 5th 2015, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

ohdearizzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default To get a car or not?

So, I will hopefully be heading over to NZ in a couple of months on a WHV, planning to travel a little before settling down with a job, and considering the potential to live their permanently if I can get a job.

My question: Should I get a car in Auckland as soon as I arrive? Travel by bus and get a car when I settle down to work? Or not get a car at all unless I end up getting residency? Opinions and anecdotes would be appreciated

Also, about car insurance, a friend who recently moved to Canada took a letter from the DVLA and her insurance company as proof that she has been driving for years, to avoid 'new driver' extortionate insurance prices, would this be a good idea for NZ?
Old Aug 6th 2015, 7:40 am
BE Enthusiast

snaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nice
Default Re: To get a car or not?

You'll probably need a car to get around and visit the sites. Loads of good quality cars at dealers, I suggest not buying private. Keep away from European cars as spares can be more difficult to obtain.

Do not drive until here for a few days as weary drivers are no fun.

Ensure you understand the rules of the road.

NZ drivers are far faster than UK drivers.

Lots of hidden speed cameras around disguised really well.

Ensure you have id on you at all times.

Watch out for roundabouts as it can become quite a free-for-all at times.

Avoid travel in Auckland, especially between the hours of 00.00 to 23.59 and try to avoid midnight if possible too.

Always carry water, blanket, torch and food.

Don't get in front of a Kiwi driver ;o)

All the best.

Last edited by snaps; Aug 6th 2015 at 7:42 am. Reason: spelling
Old Aug 6th 2015, 9:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Have to disagree that drivers drive faster here. Much, much slower and with far less skill too. They do like to tailgate, don't assess what is going on ahead of them, little to no anticipation. I describe driving in Auckland as dicing with death.

I would suggest that you do get a car at some point, public transport is crap in New Zealand, unless you live somewhere very central.
Motor insurance is not compulsory here but I suggest you get it. It's cheaper than the UK, so that's a positive.
Old Aug 6th 2015, 10:56 am
Just Joined

haha I've heard lots of stories about terrible kiwi drivers! I get the impression that driving in NZ is going to involve lots of swearing and calling people names. Thanks for the advise It's good to know that insurance is cheaper!
Old Aug 6th 2015, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

nikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond repute

I think what the driving is like depends on where you come from and where you move to. I find it much better compared to what I was used to. Insurance is cheaper and we didn't take anything as proof. Car rego is so much cheaper than UK road tax!!!
Old Aug 6th 2015, 10:20 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by ohdearizzy
haha I've heard lots of stories about terrible kiwi drivers! I get the impression that driving in NZ is going to involve lots of swearing and calling people names. Thanks for the advise It's good to know that insurance is cheaper!
No. There is not a lot of name calling and swearing. However the driving standards here in NZ are the absolute pits.

Adopt defensive driving habits. Understand that you will experience unbelievable standards of driving from others on the highway and think ahead at all times.

You can't change a national standard of this but you can take care.

Also worth noting that the past couple of years the issue of national driving standards has been deflective to blame tourists .

Just take care.
Old Aug 6th 2015, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I would wait if I was you until you decide to stay here permanently. If you want to explore the North Island instead of staying in Auckland, the naked bus, kiwibus and some other companies can offer standard coach services at reasonable prices. We took the bus to Dunedin for just $15 return - it's a very long journey but far more relaxing.

Also, look out for grabaseat fares on Air New Zealand website. You could get some very good last minute deals there if you fancy flying across to the South Island and explore, or areas of the North Island. If taking your baggage, you probably will have to pay a bit extra to check your bag in. It's standard pricing policies here - just don't fly Jet Star!!!

I shall refrain from commenting about the driving standards here, especially the day to day standards I witness around Conechurch and Canterbury.
Old Aug 7th 2015, 5:44 am
BE Enthusiast

snaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nice

Have a look at Rent-a-Dent too, you maybe able to hire a car cheaper.
Old Aug 7th 2015, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

nikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond repute

Our friends came on a WHV and bought a car. They pretty much sold it for what they bought it for after 18 months... Better condition out here! As I said already it can depend on the area you live, I don't know much for Auckland public transport but we are lower North Island and you need a we have to car... My friends were queenstown and definitely needed one too
Old Aug 7th 2015, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Motor insurance is not compulsory here but I suggest you get it. It's cheaper than the UK, so that's a positive.
I will second this.

I have car insurance, the person that drove into the back of me on the Northern Motorway did not.

My insurance company paid for my repairs and recovering that money from the other driver is their problem not mine.
Old Aug 7th 2015, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BEVS
No. There is not a lot of name calling and swearing. However the driving standards here in NZ are the absolute pits.

Adopt defensive driving habits. Understand that you will experience unbelievable standards of driving from others on the highway and think ahead at all times.

You can't change a national standard of this but you can take care.

Also worth noting that the past couple of years the issue of national driving standards has been deflective to blame tourists .

Just take care.
I meant it would be me doing the name calling and swearing As a somewhat nervous and very careful driver I suspect my stress levels will be increasing on NZ roads. But oh well, take the bad with the good and all that! Maybe defensive driving lesson would be beneficial?

I will definitely be getting car insurance, I was rather shocked to hear that at least 3rd part insurance isn't compulsory! What do people do if they drive into someone's BMW? I would be terrified to leave the drive for fear of damaging someone else's car!

Am I right in thinking that patrol is also cheaper?
Old Aug 7th 2015, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

Am I right in thinking that patrol is also cheaper?
On the face of it yes BUT it turns out to be a more complicated question than you might think.

If I look on the AA website Latest fuel price report | AA it tells me that the average UK unleaded price snapshot taken in July was 117.2 pence per litre.

I noticed on the petrol station boards around Auckland yesterday that regular petrol was selling for 2.049NZD per litre.

Immediately this is not a valid comparison because it has been done on different dates, but I will press on.

According to the market data section of the BBC website
BBC NEWS | Business | Market Data | Currencies | Sterling GBP v US Dollar USD right at this moment in time 1GBP buys 2.3395NZD.

So, 2.049NZD divided by 2.3395 means that a litre of petrol in New Zealand costs 87.58 pence. So it is cheaper

BUT, petrol is taxed heavily in both countries so it is not really valid to compare just one part of the tax collection system in isolation from the rest. So, although petrol pump price is cheaper it shouldn't really be considered on its own without also taking into account that in New Zealand the local equivalent of VAT (it is called GST here) will be charged on all the groceries that you buy (whether that is in the supermarket or local store) for just one example.

Really, there are so many tax points to take into account (don't let me start on National Insurance in the UK ) that a straight-forward comparison of prices doesn't really help much.

BUT that is not all! In New Zealand 'Regular' petrol is 91 Octane and that is the headline price that will be displayed on the forecourts. In the UK 'Regular' petrol is 95 Octane (which is premium petrol in New Zealand) so you will burn more regular petrol in New Zealand to go the same distance that the regular petrol will take you in the UK. As a rule of thumb I think that you should add 4% to the price of the regular New Zealand petrol to predict what the price of premium New Zealand petrol will be but I don't do that enough to be certain about it - I buy 98 Octane petrol anyway - that is luxury petrol here The 98 Octane petrol costs 7% more than regular and my car will go 15% further on it (around-town driving conditions), I have tested that.

Last edited by Clappy; Aug 7th 2015 at 8:30 pm. Reason: Tidied up a sentence.
Old Aug 7th 2015, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

Yes... Fuel is currently cheaper!
Old Aug 7th 2015, 9:50 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

What do people do if they drive into someone's BMW? I would be terrified to leave the drive for fear of damaging someone else's car!
well first of all you may have to think do they actually have a valid licence to be driving in the first place. I know a number of kiwi drivers who are still on their restricted licence (only supposed to drive at certain times of the day) after 10+ years. there seems to be no process to check that they have upgraded the licence after a set period of time.
Old Aug 9th 2015, 11:41 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

If you are travelling alone I would recommend either Kiwi Experience or Stray Bus. A good opportunity to meet some new people (unless you would prefer to travel alone). From my understanding the Kiwi Bus attracts more of a younger crowd out to party. Stray attracts more of an older crowd and more "refined" characters! Then once you arrive in a place to find work then it will be best to get a car. Always get insurance even though it's not compulsory here.

I'm sure you'll have a blast no matter what you do, NZ is a fabulous country to travel around

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.