Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

German market in Birmingham

German market in Birmingham

Old Nov 19th 2007, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

Here comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really nice
Post German market in Birmingham

We went to the German market this evening, it was fantastic and its the first time ive stopped and thought that this will be the last time I come here!
It snowed last night and all the christmas lights are on in the city. The market was fab although for a german market it had crepes, belgum chocolates and mulled wine! We had candied cashew nuts, massive pretzels, mulled wine and my daughter enjoyed the fair ground rides.

Just wondered if other people felt this way on the lead up to leaving.....
Old Nov 19th 2007, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

NLSE is just really niceNLSE is just really niceNLSE is just really niceNLSE is just really niceNLSE is just really niceNLSE is just really niceNLSE is just really niceNLSE is just really nice
Default Re: German market in Birmingham

I haven't even thought about Christmas! I don't even feel Christmassy - perhaps nearer to December I will feel that way. At the moment my head is just filled with our plans for New Zealand at the moment as we’re heading out there beginning of January.

I normally get very excited just before Christmas as I have two young sons - but this year I’m just not feeling it.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 7:48 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Fab isn't it! We went Saturday night
Old Nov 19th 2007, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

mongoosegirl is an unknown quantity at this point

i love the german christmas market in birmingham. i can't wait for a day off work(!) to go. i couldn't believe it snowed last night either, but was glad it had stopped by 6.30 this morning when i had to go out and stand at the bus stop. i can see what you are saying though about it being the last time you will go and see these things. there will be lots of new stuff to explore in nz though which might balance out some of the things you will miss. maybe?
tamsyn
Old Nov 19th 2007, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

My sister lives in Munich and we were talking about the German Christmas markets on the phone last week. She said they have ad quite a big snowfall and the city looks beautiful. Although I saw her many times in Munich, we never went to one, and I really wish I had!
Old Nov 19th 2007, 8:23 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Here comes the sun
We went to the German market this evening, it was fantastic and its the first time ive stopped and thought that this will be the last time I come here!
It snowed last night and all the christmas lights are on in the city. The market was fab although for a german market it had crepes, belgum chocolates and mulled wine! We had candied cashew nuts, massive pretzels, mulled wine and my daughter enjoyed the fair ground rides.

Just curious, where in Brum is it? I've been gone quite a long time.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 8:25 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart
Just curious, where in Brum is it? I've been gone quite a long time.
It's all along New Street and up by the floozy and the Council House
Old Nov 19th 2007, 8:27 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clippies
It's all along New Street and up by the floozy and the Council House

Floozy?? I know New Street. Used to have a couple of cheeky ones in the Midland hotel. When I left it still had buses running up and down it, it's pedestrianized now.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart
Floozy?? I know New Street. Used to have a couple of cheeky ones in the Midland hotel. When I left it still had buses running up and down it, it's pedestrianized now.
yes it's pedestrianised, you can still drive down Corporation Street though and you do get the odd car come down Temple Street onto New Street but mainly it's no cars - the floozy in the jacuzzi? big fountain on the steps at the top end of New Street.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 6:51 am
Just Joined

thegl is a jewel in the roughthegl is a jewel in the roughthegl is a jewel in the roughthegl is a jewel in the rough

We love the German Market in Birmingham too! (Especially the food stalls that sell the roast ham rolls and the plates of garlic potatoes and mushrooms!)
We were there on the first day, last Thursday, such was our enthusiasm. It always kindles the Christmas spirit.
I guess it will be one of the things we will miss when we leave the UK, but as others have said, we'll find plenty of diversions in NZ to make up for it.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

Absorb all the christmas you can. This will be our second one here in NZ and it just doesn't feel like it. Where we come from everyone put lights on the houses and it had a real nice feel. Here, there are not lights on houses, of course it wouldn't be dark enough soon enough for everyone to see. I find you have to go into a store to see decorations. It just doesn't seem like it could possibly be christmas. I wonder how long it takes.

Our six year old, Gillianne asked me in June when it would be christmas. Even she was seasoned to the time of year, though off by six months.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Frenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Here comes the sun

We left Brum on New Years day. Felt a tad sad doing many things;

Last 'sale' shop at Next (6am the day after Boxing day of course!!)
My last journey to work after spending 27 years commuting to Walsall Primary Care Trust from Birmingham
Last train journey into 'town'
Last cold Christmas

To name just a few... but hey this year first BBQ on Christmas day!EVER!!