Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Genesis Wairapa International Balloon Fiesta

Genesis Wairapa International Balloon Fiesta

Old Mar 16th 2007, 8:34 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Genesis Wairapa International Balloon Fiesta

Bit last minute as we've known about this for ages (doh!)

We're going this evening to the lighty up balloon thingy display

http://www.nzballoons.co.nz/

Looks like it should be good - I hope it's less windy over there than in Wellington!
Old Mar 16th 2007, 8:54 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Genesis Wairapa International Balloon Fiesta

Ooooh purdy! I love hot air balloons! There used to be a festival in Northampton every year in this huge park near the city centre. I never actually went to it, but we had a superb view of it from the top of our road.

Looking forward to some excellent (as usual) pics! By the way, what kind of camera do you have? I have a Canon Rebel XLT, love it to bits!

Originally Posted by RobClubley
lighty up balloon thingy display
I'm guessing your brain is still recovering from the past week's work.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 9:08 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
Ooooh purdy! I love hot air balloons! There used to be a festival in Northampton every year in this huge park near the city centre. I never actually went to it, but we had a superb view of it from the top of our road.

Looking forward to some excellent (as usual) pics! By the way, what kind of camera do you have? I have a Canon Rebel XLT, love it to bits!

No that's just how I talk
I'm dead technical, me.

I'll do my best - gonna take my little tripod and hopefully get some good pics when it gets darker. I have a Sony Cybershot DSC-H2 which I bought with my UK tax refund after we left! Couldn't stratech to a DSLR, maybe next birthday
Old Mar 17th 2007, 1:07 am
Happy in Wellington

Bugger they've cancelled it - well pretty much, they're not inflating any balloons tonight due to the weather.
Bum.
Old Mar 17th 2007, 2:11 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Bugger they've cancelled it - well pretty much, they're not inflating any balloons tonight due to the weather.
Bum.
That's no good! Tell them they have to go ahead with it as you're going to take photos for us!
Old Mar 17th 2007, 2:16 am
Happy in Wellington

Well we could go for the last event in the morning but we'd have to get there at 6:30 and it's about an hour and a half's drive.

Bit early for a Sunday I think.
Old Mar 17th 2007, 7:20 am
Account Closed

cherry will become famous soon enoughcherry will become famous soon enough

We were going to attend but could not get accommodation to stay overnight in Masterton as I didn`t fancy the drive back over the Rimutakas at night,hate the road ,we had 2 for 1 tickets also from Genesis to see the night burn .
Decided to spend the money it would have cost in hotels on lots of plants for the garden ,we can recommend Super Mitre 10 in Petone for really good quality and reasonably priced plants.Also the Firemans Arms pub on Jackson St near to Cuba St for a coffee and a cooked brekky .
Took the wifes car today to vtnz seaview for its 6 month joke test ,passed with flying colours ,I know all the staff there as I go regularly taking trucks for test ,they never recognised me out of uniform as they said ,$48 well spent to stay legal
Rob, you live here now so you can go anytime its on in the future ,who knows next time it will be fab weather not today however
Old Mar 17th 2007, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

davec987 will become famous soon enoughdavec987 will become famous soon enough

Couldn't stratech to a DSLR, maybe next birthday
Nikon D80 mate Love mine.
Old Mar 17th 2007, 9:31 pm
Happy in Wellington

Originally Posted by cherry
We were going to attend but could not get accommodation to stay overnight in Masterton as I didn`t fancy the drive back over the Rimutakas at night,hate the road ,we had 2 for 1 tickets also from Genesis to see the night burn .
Decided to spend the money it would have cost in hotels on lots of plants for the garden ,we can recommend Super Mitre 10 in Petone for really good quality and reasonably priced plants.Also the Firemans Arms pub on Jackson St near to Cuba St for a coffee and a cooked brekky .
Took the wifes car today to vtnz seaview for its 6 month joke test ,passed with flying colours ,I know all the staff there as I go regularly taking trucks for test ,they never recognised me out of uniform as they said ,$48 well spent to stay legal
Rob, you live here now so you can go anytime its on in the future ,who knows next time it will be fab weather not today however
True. We'll go next year.
Old Mar 18th 2007, 9:30 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz

Northampton Balloon Festival is still going strong Maz. They've combined it with the Town Show now. You get some quite good gigs there now too; the last few years have seen Tony Hadley, The Sugar Babes & some others that i cant remember now!!!! I'll see if I can find my photos of the "glow" from last year & post them later
http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...%3Den%26sa%3DN
Old Mar 18th 2007, 9:40 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Our favourite balloon, Churchill hasn't flown for a few years not sure whats happened to it

The glow is my best bit of the day. i think it's very clever the waay they can get those balloons into such a small space & the way the operators of the balloons all work together to sychronise (??) the glow with the music
Attached Thumbnails Genesis Wairapa International Balloon Fiesta-dscn0546.jpg   Genesis Wairapa International Balloon Fiesta-dscn0552.jpg   Genesis Wairapa International Balloon Fiesta-dsc00036.jpg  
Old Mar 18th 2007, 4:03 pm
Maz

Ooooh lovely piccies, thanks so much Sarah! Glad to hear the festival has gone from strength to strength.

I remember when I was in halls of residence up at Nene College, I got a shock one morning when waiting for water to boil for my tea, as a huge bear's head came bobbing up over the horizon. It was that bear (George?) that was a mascot or some such for some beer or other.
Old Mar 18th 2007, 9:20 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Maz
Ooooh lovely piccies, thanks so much Sarah! Glad to hear the festival has gone from strength to strength.

I remember when I was in halls of residence up at Nene College, I got a shock one morning when waiting for water to boil for my tea, as a huge bear's head came bobbing up over the horizon. It was that bear (George?) that was a mascot or some such for some beer or other.

FYI Nene College is now Northampton University!!! Happened a couple of years ago
Old Mar 19th 2007, 12:18 am
Maz

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
FYI Nene College is now Northampton University!!! Happened a couple of years ago
I know, actually. But way back in the day (when dinosaurs roamed the Earth) when I went there, it was still Nene College. Everyone new there pronounced it as "Neen" but by the time you got to the end of the first year, you were saying "Nen" along with the locals.