Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

A general question for british expats

A general question for british expats

Old Sep 16th 2010, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A general question for british expats

Originally Posted by simonsi
Sometimes that is the best you can hope for....and not a bad aim in life, I am sure many move repeatedly (whether domestic or international), but never find "true happiness"...
I don't think I am any happier here in NZ than I was in the UK. I am certainly more content and don't feel a huge urge to getaway like I did in the Uk...all the time. Sure I would like to live somewhere more beautiful than Palmy and maybe one day I might move to Tazzy, I accept that for little people like us life is a compromise. Thus for now inspite of all my moaning about driving in NZ, the toothless justice system and all the other shite that prevails here we have a good life. Kate's career could not be better. We want for nothing and other than domestic inhouse stress you get with 3 kids sub 10, a puppy and two errant cats life outside our four walls is nigh on perfect. I refer to every day life within our locale. As stated earlier I am well aware of many ugly things about NZ. Fortunately most of them never touch on our lives. Which is nice. I never came to NZ too find happiness as I really believe it comes from within. However I do accept that negative environmental and other anti social issues that are occuring in your ward can have a depressing effect on your well being. Lots about our 'good life' is pretty accidental and just down to good fortune. You never know how good a house or neighbourhood (or town for that matter) will be until you get in all of them and give them a good bit of everyday living. Only with time will you find your place.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 3:26 am
Forum Regular

Kentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to all

When we came I assured my family that we would be back often to visit. That was 7 yrs ago when you could get UK to NZ for just over 500 pound return.
The trip from this end, and with earning the NZ dollar, and the high cost of living (the price of dairy products in a dairy community!)makes it impossible for the 4 of us to all go back. Especially when it rockets up around Christmas time when we would love to go back. This can make you feel a bit trapped. The 'you're only 24hours away' makes it seem easy but it isn't. My kids were 9 and 7 years when they left so don't know their grandparents, aunts,uncles etc. They could all pass in the street and not know each other.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 5:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
I am certainly more content and don't feel a huge urge to getaway like I did in the Uk...all the time.
That in itself is sums up pretty much how i feel.

I'm sure theres a perfect place for me out there somewhere, i just dont feel
the urgancy to go looking for it since arriving in nz
Old Sep 17th 2010, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colandros
That in itself is sums up pretty much how i feel.

I'm sure theres a perfect place for me out there somewhere, i just dont feel
the urgancy to go looking for it since arriving in nz
Hmm, Palmy is cool just now and works well for all of us. But I guess there is more than 'here'. I have thought about 'doing one' when the kids have left home (if i am still on the mortal coil that is), but does one want to start a new life in your mid 60s? I do hope I have to gumption to go elsewhere, that is assuming we can ever sell our house. Even if we cannot we could rent it out and go and live in Taz for a year and return..or stay longer?
Old Sep 17th 2010, 12:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kentish Lass
When we came I assured my family that we would be back often to visit. That was 7 yrs ago when you could get UK to NZ for just over 500 pound return.
The trip from this end, and with earning the NZ dollar, and the high cost of living (the price of dairy products in a dairy community!)makes it impossible for the 4 of us to all go back. Especially when it rockets up around Christmas time when we would love to go back. This can make you feel a bit trapped. The 'you're only 24hours away' makes it seem easy but it isn't. My kids were 9 and 7 years when they left so don't know their grandparents, aunts,uncles etc. They could all pass in the street and not know each other.
That pretty much sums up my thoughts, we 'stupidly' thought that trips 'home' every two years or so would be affordable. Five years later...... It hurts me mostly; feeling so detached and missing the little ones growing and being constantly aware that there are some family members we are never likely to see ever again.

I would never persuade or advise any one of my friends or family that moving to NZ was a good idea, because I don't think it's all that special and I wouldn't be able to live with myself if they hated it. If any of them were to make any noise or hint of a suggestion of moving here I would most certainly make sure that they scratch off any rosy tints that might be harbouring on their spectacles.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 12:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pricklykina
I have regrets
My life is good enough here for sure
but to me it's like making a deal with the devil
The gains I made are balanced by the losses.
At the end of the day, what I value most in my life are security, friends and family.
I have a greater sense of security here. It seems like the colour of my skin is less of an issue here. And I generally feel comfortable although Chch gives me the heebegeebees even before the quake.

But my major loss is my friends, and family and my shared history, and people who get me. I miss my culture.

So certainly there are a lot of regrets and in all honesty, I wouldn't recommend it.
I would try to find a place that gave me things I desired and valued closer to home first.

Top post! I agree with you wholeheartedly.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colandros
I think there are a lot of expats here who are not truely happy,they are just happier than where they were.
I'm a glass half full person and my immediate nuclear family are the most important thing in life to me so I've never been badly homesick nor truely happy as an expat in either of my locations (I would rather have stayed in UK - was very happy there and only moved for OH's job) but I am pleased that I am an expat in the sense that I am not expatriated forever because I/we didn't have to sell up in UK and never emigrated - although in extending our posting it made sense to get PR, so we did - originally just had work visas as no long-term intention.

I do like it here, am grateful for the different life experience (on a longish but ultimately temporary basis) and have a good quality of life but wouldn't want to stay forever....the distance from everywhere is the main downside for me...I return to UK annually but relatives are getting older and it will be hard when they become ill etc etc

My advice on here over last 3 years has always been 'the grass isn't always greener' and do the sums add up?
Seriously though would a move to another part of UK solve issues less traumatically and financially drastically? I know many people who don't post on here who have returned and there are posters on here who return but don't post to say so because this website tends to be a bit about bolstering the morale of those who have stayed and those who want to come.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SweetyStacey
Thanks guys, the replies are really assuring lol. Glad you all are enjoying your new life. Can't wait for it to be our turn.

Stacey
Stacey
I think you've selectively read the posts...many people are voicing their regrets which is unusual around here...that's the only reason I bothered to post.
If your Mum is unsure, she shouldn't come...
Old Sep 17th 2010, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

SweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really nice

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Stacey
I think you've selectively read the posts...many people are voicing their regrets which is unusual around here...that's the only reason I bothered to post.
If your Mum is unsure, she shouldn't come...
Yes you're right I have selectively read the posts...because I'm taking in the parts that are relavent to me and my parents. Most of the regrets are because of family. We don't get on with our family and we don't see them more than once every three years.

My mums uncertainty is due to her age and making such a big move, incase she doesn't like new zealand.

Stacey
Old Sep 18th 2010, 12:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

My mums uncertainty is due to her age and making such a big move, incase she doesn't like new zealand.
How old Stacey, I get the feeling she's not ancient as some of us?
Old Sep 18th 2010, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

SweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
How old Stacey, I get the feeling she's not ancient as some of us?
Lol she's not young really. She's turning 50 in April. But then again she has a 30 year old son so that makes her feel young

Stacey
Old Sep 18th 2010, 1:27 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a born and bred Kiwi and have been away 24 years (with holidays back). I'm glad I had my time away, and I was successful, but with my 50's approaching I am feeling a draw to my family and I want to move home to be amongst my kin (I may hate it and come back - I'm renting out my house in case and will give myself a year to see how I like it). I can't imagine immigrating right now and having to start all over. I want to feel settled as I get older. I want to be able to go to family events, weddings, christenings and so on. Maybe I am closer to my family than your mum is to hers, but I have found I really miss these being so far away in the UK. Don't know if any of that helps, but it's another point of view, but in reverse.
Old Sep 18th 2010, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jmh
I'm a born and bred Kiwi and have been away 24 years (with holidays back). I'm glad I had my time away, and I was successful, but with my 50's approaching I am feeling a draw to my family and I want to move home to be amongst my kin (I may hate it and come back - I'm renting out my house in case and will give myself a year to see how I like it). I can't imagine immigrating right now and having to start all over. I want to feel settled as I get older. I want to be able to go to family events, weddings, christenings and so on. Maybe I am closer to my family than your mum is to hers, but I have found I really miss these being so far away in the UK. Don't know if any of that helps, but it's another point of view, but in reverse.
Thanks for that. My mum is definately not close to her mum. My mum is desperate for a new start, she's not had a life in 50 years. Our doctors have said that due to the better temperature etc in nz her health will improve more than it will here. The heat will ease her arthritis etc.

To be honest we all need a fresh start, I personally have exhausted all my posibilities of a good life here. I just got out of an engagement this year so I just want to make a clean slate, I may have someone else waiting for my in nz so I'm feeling positive

Stacey
Old Sep 18th 2010, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

mancaucks has a spectacular aura aboutmancaucks has a spectacular aura aboutmancaucks has a spectacular aura about

I regret that i was asked as a 16yr old whether i wanted to do come and even with all the info i was given had no idea what i was actually doing. I alos regret that my emotions when i got here cost me my schooling and i've had to do alot of things the hard way.

Do i regret the experience? No, not a chance in hell, i have done some things i never thought i'd do and i've never seen my family happier!

Will i stay here forever? No way, im a citizen next year and then im off while im young to see the world and why not?

I'm just glad that when i do want to be away from the hustle and bustle, and want my kids to have a safe and heathly environment to grow up in, i have one XD
Old Sep 18th 2010, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for that. Our doctors have said that due to the better temperature etc in nz her health will improve more than it will here. The heat will ease her arthritis etc.
NZ is not wildly hotter than UK. You will likely have a cold damp house and it will make her worse. How would you qualify to come anyway given her age?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.